For those who shoot 30-30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
    Bone Thug, please don’t tell anyone else about this. All joking aside, I’ve used all variants of 30-30 to include reloads on maybe a thousand different animals over MANY YEARS and there is only one magic 30-30 bullet. All 30-30 does the job, but if you want a standout from the rest and know if something is hit right then...Powermax 30-30 150gr !

The other two standouts are Federal 125gr and Hornady 140gr GMX, not terminally but ballistically.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
      Bone Thug, please don’t tell anyone else about this. All joking aside, I’ve used all variants of 30-30 to include reloads on maybe a thousand different animals over MANY YEARS and there is only one magic 30-30 bullet. All 30-30 does the job, but if you want a standout from the rest and know if something is hit right then...Powermax 30-30 150gr !

The other two standouts are Federal 125gr and Hornady 140gr GMX, not terminally but ballistically.

Is the power max still in production? I haven’t seen them in a long time. Winchester also made another hollow point that looked identical to the power max, but it wasn’t bonded

Comment

Most of the time the Marlin micro-groove barrels will shoot the 170gr better than tHe 150. And they are finicky with the Hornady lever loads.

I've pretty much shot reloads w a Speer 150gr flat point for the last 15-20 years because I bought a bunch of bullets cheap at a garage sale. (Reloader 15 & h4895 powder)

It works well for the way I use it,

Comment

Originally posted by mikebyrge View Post
          Most of the time the Marlin micro-groove barrels will shoot the 170gr better than tHe 150. And they are finicky with the Hornady lever loads.

I've pretty much shot reloads w a Speer 150gr flat point for the last 15-20 years because I bought a bunch of bullets cheap at a garage sale. (Reloader 15 & h4895 powder)

Agreed, in that my Marlin shoots 170's better than 150's.

Comment

Originally posted by SRK14 View Post
            Is the power max still in production? I haven’t seen them in a long time. Winchester also made another hollow point that looked identical to the power max, but it wasn’t bonded
            I haven’t seen them either. The Powermax Bonded in 243 was awesome, but it seemed to be the first to go. The Powermax in 30-06 though was horrible. It would not make a clean kill on game. I don’t know what the deal was, but it was unreliable.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
              I haven’t seen them either. The Powermax Bonded in 243 was awesome, but it seemed to be the first to go. The Powermax in 30-06 though was horrible. It would not make a clean kill on game. I don’t know what the deal was, but it was unreliable.

I bet it is being phased out by the deer season xp.

Comment

I need to add. When I bought my Marlin 30AS in the late 80's I bought and used 150gr Speer Nitrex with a Grand slam bullet. It was a deer dropper. But I was not reloading yet and Speer stopped making that load. The Lever revolution came out, it shot great. I never looked back. Bought a bunch of it. I do reload now and did manage to get a hold of FN 150gr Speer grand slam bullets and once powder is obtained. I will be rolling my own soon and back to the Speer Grand Slam FN.

Comment

I think they still make it for the 30-30. I’ll never have to worry about it because I have about 2,000 rounds of the original redbox and about 600 rounds black. After the first year when I used it I decided I’d go to the grave with that bullet. The only time using a 30wcf when I’d be skinning a deer that folk would say “what the heck did you shoot him with?”. I’ve only recovered 2 bullets, the rest blew big exit holes.

44 & 30-30 have always been my thing because the folk I hunt with are ballistic supremacist and *****holes so I’ve made it a point my whole life.
                  Last edited by Johnny44; 03-27-2021, 07:56 AM.

Comment

This was the the case in my rifle. I could not get Hornady to group at all in my marlin. But it shoots the Winchester 170 grain SP extremely well.

Comment

The LeverE had some bad batches of projectiles too which is what made me go to the Powermax. Aside from that, On astrix **** barreled Marlins (ballard) it shot great, in microgroove barrels it would foul the shallow grooves so you had to keep it clean.

Comment

I've always shot Remington Core-Lokt 170s. They shoot great and have put down every animal I've shot with them

Comment

Either.

Comment

My son's and my 336s are circa 1971 with micro-groove barrels shoot the Leverevolution loads better than than anything else we have tried. I have read others that said their's don't shoot these loads very well so I have to wonder why the differences.

Comment

Originally posted by sunsethunter View Post
                              I've always shot Remington Core-Lokt 170s. They shoot great and have put down every animal I've shot with them
                              Thats the beauty of the 30wcf, it just works.

Comment

Originally posted by grizzman View Post
                                My son's and my 336s are circa 1971 with micro-groove barrels shoot the Leverevolution loads better than than anything else we have tried. I have read others that said their's don't shoot these loads very well so I have to wonder why the differences.
                                My personal opinion after talking with Hornady folk on the same issue is they get these batches that aren’t balanced for some reason.

I shoot the LeverE in about every other caliber and never had a problem except 30-30. I could take a particular box and shoot it in a winchester, single shots, bolt gun, and marlin and it would shoot off in every one. Then without touching a thing take another box and they all shot zero.

It has only been the 160gr too, the 140’s are great stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X