Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the flattest trajectory caliber/bullet combo to 300 yards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For 300 yards, who cares ?

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I am not shooting at anything but boredom on a cold frozen day. I already have and love a .264 win mag that does all my heavy lifting. I have kinda thought about a 6.5-300 Vanguard lately since they are so cheap but ammo is kinda spotty still so I will wait till they over produce and the price crashes. As for the question at hand I looked up some front runners heres what I found:

6.5-300 WBY: -3 from the barrel tip to 300

.220 Swift (40gr): -4.5 from barrel tip to 300

.257 WBY (87gr): -5 from barrel tip to 300

28 Nosler: -4.8 from barrel tip to 300

30-378 WBY (175gr): -6 from barrel tip to 300

240 WBY (85gr): -6.5 from barrel tip to 300

7mm Rem: -8.5 from barrel tip to 300

270 WIN (130sst): -9 from barrel tip to 300

260 REM: -10 from barrel tip to 300

I used gun data.org for all the data and this is actual drop from the barrel not the line of sight. As you can see the 6.5's have it to 300 yards. The big 300's will out run the smaller bullets further out but the speed/BC combo on the 6.5-300 is unbeatable at 300. My little .220 Swift held its own to 300 as well as I figured it would, still the best caliber ever invented. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
        For 300 yards, who cares ?
        Because as I said in the OP I can never see further so I want the flattest line to that distance. Not to mention if you can't get closer than 300 your a poor hunter.

Comment

270 wsm

Set my 270 WSM 130 gr. Core Lokt 3" high at a 100 and dead on at 300.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
            257 Weatherby Mag is pretty flat. I shoot 110 gr Accubonds and have it dialed in 3” high at 100 and hold dead on 300 with no apparent drop at all. I held ear hole on a hog at 418 yards and blew his jaw off. Can’t remember what the speeds were but I want to say around 3900. Nothing has walked away yet.
            Depending on load ( Nosler vs. Weatherby ) and barrel length that bullet is leaving the muzzle at 3400-3500 fps. I sight mine in 1.5 " high at 100 its 4" low at 300 and 12" low at 400.

Pretty **** flat

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
              Depending on load ( Nosler vs. Weatherby ) and barrel length that bullet is leaving the muzzle at 3400-3500 fps. I sight mine in 1.5 " high at 100 its 4" low at 300 and 12" low at 400.

Pretty **** flat
              You are correct. Just looked it up in my load up book. These are my hand loads with 69.5 grains of RL 22 from my 26” barrel. Had it chrono’d at the range from a guy that allready had his chrono set up a few years back but luckily I wrote it in there. Three shot average was 3471. My rifle really likes this load. I’m going to try and work a load up with some 110 gr Sierra Game Changers I recently got a great deal on as soon as I can get my hands on some Large Magnum Rifle Primers and see how they do. Sierra has never let me down either.

Comment

The 7 Lazz uses 99gr of 7828...

Comment

No mention of the .25-06 rem? Factory loads it’s a laser beam to 350-400...

Comment

Check out the .264 Win Mag.

Comment

You can buy yourself an inch or two with some big ultramag but I'd shoot a .25-06 and be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicket Luke View Post
                        Because as I said in the OP I can never see further so I want the flattest line to that distance. Not to mention if you can't get closer than 300 your a poor hunter.
                        Lmao! If you can’t see and kill further than 300 you are a poor shot with terrible vision.....

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                          Lmao! If you can’t see and kill further than 300 you are a poor shot with terrible vision.....
                          His spotlight maxes out at 300

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
                            There is a thread rolling on that subject too....😂

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
                              Typical for East Texas I hear.
                              Randolph McGee is following this thread

Comment

For what it's worth, just sighting in a little high at 100 will tighten up your trajectory window for most calibers to make 300 yards easy. For my 30-06AI handloads with a 168 gr TTSX I sight in 3" high at 100 and just aim dead on to 300 yards. You're better off worrying about wind drift, and ammo availability than speed at those distances

Comment

Working...
                                X