No announcement yet.

.45-70 Lever Action Recoil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a H&R 4570. 300 grain at 1900 is as high as I wanna go.
    405's about 1500.
    I've got a 22" and a 32" barrel for it. Love that little beast.

Comment

Originally posted by TxnRunner View Post
      My experience is that it's unnoticeable in a hunting situation. I've ripped off 5 rounds standing freehand at running pigs without noticing the recoil, shot from rest in blind at deer with no negative reaction to recoil, but shooting for groups from a bench is punishing.
      I'd agree 100% with this.

It's a ***** on the bench lol but shooting pigs its great.

Comment

.45-70 Lever Action Recoil

My 13 year old sons shoots mine all day. 45-70 ain’t as bad as some of y’all make it out to be, at least to me anyway. Sharp push.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Blood Trail; 11-30-2021, 07:55 AM.

Comment

I had one in a TC Pro Hunter with the 20" Kathadin Barrel. Absolutely painful to shoot with a scope

Comment

I am sure you have an AR...right? get yourself a .450 Bushmaster upper for it and you will have comparable ballistics to the 45-70. Dead on at 200yds. Manage/control the recoil better with the gas impingement which lever guns do not offer. Then again...Black guns do not offer the romance a lever gun does in a very MANLEY caliber Just throwing it out there.

Comment

Originally posted by TxnRunner View Post
              My experience is that it's unnoticeable in a hunting situation. I've ripped off 5 rounds standing freehand at running pigs without noticing the recoil, shot from rest in blind at deer with no negative reaction to recoil, but shooting for groups from a bench is punishing.

This has been my experience with most magnum type calibers. Never really fun to sight in or bench shoot, however I use a lead sled for that. When shooting at an animal I never notice it. .300 Win Mag, 444 Marlin, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had the ported model, wasn't too bad .. like shooting a 12g slug .. shot same gun unported in 450 marlin and 2 shots gave me a nosebleed .

Comment

I didn't think just standard loads were terrible. I was shootin milk jugs and I only weighed about 135 pounds at the time. About like shooting a 12 gauge with some fairly stout loads in it. Not too bad.

Comment

Had an 1895ss with the standard-length (22"?) barrel back in the late 2000's, killed one deer with it. Poor little doe........hit low on the rib cage and it looked like a wooden boat grounded on a coral reef, a complete wreck. Recoil with factory Winchester 300gr hollow points was "tolerable", some 2100fps 405 PMC loads I had were brutal. I think I sold the gun with 3 rounds of the PMC missing from the box.

Stu

Comment

Working...
                    X