Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Efficient Short Barrel Caliber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RMW View Post
    Would like a lazor out to 300-400yds
    you said hammer so I was thinking heavy...7-08 with 120's would be a good balance

Comment

Originally posted by Thetoe View Post
      Check out .338 federal. Should be right up your alley.
      Was looking hard at this just wish it had a little more velocity

Comment

What you want doesn't exist

Comment

You can find what you want but you will likely be limited to a specific bullet-- and I'm not sure there is a standard SA that meets those parameters that would also be a good fit for Nilgai (but I've never hunted them).

I think maybe a 7-08ai or .308 with a 140 or 155 absolute hammer bullet could potentially get you there (2900-3000) for velocity. I wouldn't consider either a 'laser' or 'hammer'.

However, I have yet to see a single WT in Texas that I wouldn't shoot with a Barnes or other mono from a .22 centerfire going 3200+

Otherwise the reality is you will need more powder capacity to get what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
            What you want doesn't exist
            Pretty much, especially if you’re not going to hand load for it.

The new 6.8 Western actually “might” be able to do a 150 gr bullet at 3,000 fps from a 20” barrel. Factory loads will be heavier, but there is a 165 at 2970 listed, assuming a 24” barrel.

It’s basically a more efficient .270 WSM, and burns less powder so the muzzle blast shouldn’t be “horrible”, it will have some bite IMO though.

Comment

If the OP is willing to go with a SA/mag BF then I think he can get what he is looking for a number of different ways.

My impression from the TBH 2021 thread is it will be SA/std BF only, and 16-18" barrel, IF #2 is the selection.

Comment

I use a 6CM with a 20" barrel for this. But... I'd always take a different rifle Nilgai hunting than what I'd use for WT and hogs.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post

The new 6.8 Western actually “might” be able to do a 150 gr bullet at 3,000 fps from a 20” barrel. Factory loads will be heavier, but there is a 165 at 2970 listed, assuming a 24” barrel.

It’s basically a more efficient .270 WSM, and burns less powder so the muzzle blast shouldn’t be “horrible”, it will have some bite IMO though.
                  Might just go .300WSM or .300 PRC and not worry about being efficient

Comment

You are describing the 6.5 PRC to a “T”.

Comment

Originally posted by duckhunter175 View Post
                      If the OP is willing to go with a SA/mag BF then I think he can get what he is looking for a number of different ways.

My impression from the TBH 2021 thread is it will be SA/std BF only, and 16-18" barrel, IF #2 is the selection.
                      Probably just going to go full custom

Comment

Originally posted by TxMedic View Post
                        You are describing the 6.5 PRC to a “T”.
                        This is an option as well, just my last apr was a 6.5 prc

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post

The 6.8 western is very tempting for sure

Comment

One of the short action Lazzeroni calibers might be your ticket. I used Lazzeroni Galaxy load data to work up the handloads for my custom .338 WSM to get 3240 fps with Barnes 185 TTSX bullets but from a 26" Shilen barrel. I think that Tomahawk round might be what you are after plus you can buy the ammo direct from Lazzeroni or roll your own. https://www.lazzeroni.com/
                            Attached Files

Comment

I'm planning a compact 16" 6.5cm. Chassis is ordered, will order the barrel Monday. From what I've read I should be able to get 2500-2600 fps with a 130 grain bullet. That'll work for what I'm going to do with it and the compactness will far outweigh losing that extra velocity.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                                One of the short action Lazzeroni calibers might be your ticket. I used Lazzeroni Galaxy load data to work up the handloads for my custom .338 WSM to get 3240 fps with Barnes 185 TTSX bullets but from a 26" Shilen barrel. I think that Tomahawk round might be what you are after plus you can buy the ammo direct from Lazzeroni or roll your own. https://www.lazzeroni.com/
                                Can Apr chamber the Lazzeroni calibers? Interested for sure

Comment

Working...
                                X