6.8 western

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigThicket Luke View Post
    I hate this new round it's pointless. It's literally surrounded by awesome calibers that are well established because they work ssssooooooo good. Some bean counter marketing guy trying justify his existence invented this one. Stupid name that copies the STW line. .260 6.5CM, 257 Rob AI, 25wssm, .264 win mag, 358 win, 350 rem mag, 7mm-08, 7-30 waters, or hey the 270 Winchester. All stuff I personally would say are better options, and yes I know they are not all short actions, so what, the animal will never know and you wont either.
    Good Lord man, could you give a more clustered list of cartridges? If you'd a said 270 WSM, 6.5 PRC, 7 WSM, 270 Win etc, that would've made sense. Once you added 358 Win, 350 Rem, 7-30 waters you lost me.

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicket Luke View Post
      I hate this new round it's pointless. It's literally surrounded by awesome calibers that are well established because they work ssssooooooo good. Some bean counter marketing guy trying justify his existence invented this one. Stupid name that copies the STW line. .260 6.5CM, 257 Rob AI, 25wssm, .264 win mag, 358 win, 350 rem mag, 7mm-08, 7-30 waters, or hey the 270 Winchester. All stuff I personally would say are better options, and yes I know they are not all short actions, so what, the animal will never know and you wont either.
      STW? You do know that Western is a brand they own right? You don't remember when it was Winchester-Western? The Western Cartridge Company? I think the is a nod to that, not the Shooting Times Westerner. I have seen the same thing on several different threads and it doesn't make sense.

Comment

I think he’s referring to the Shooting Times Westerner. Created by Layne Simpson in about the early 80’s.

Comment

I am aware of Western Cartridge Co. but in modern terms 7mm Shooting Times WESTERNER just already kinds has that name covered up. I mean you are going to sell this brand new caliber to a wary public like me you better at least have a snappy name.

I promise you the .277 Skylazer would have sold better.

Yeah I know my list was Gibberish but really when you think about it the short .358 cals really compete for the same territory as this new 270. Same short action similar powder charges high BC bullets, the 35's already exist to so thats cool, not to mention they are way more powerful. Just saying what is the point of this other than a weak dic attempt at drumming up sales when your back ordered 2 years already. Plus don't forget .264 WIN mag>everything. Why not push the Caliber you already invented right the first time?

Comment

Well, that's like your opinion man.

I think it is a pretty good name. It is descriptive AND it is a name that goes back a long time with Winchester. I think that is kinda cool myself being a long time Winchester fan.

The reason they aren't just sticking with selling .270 WSMs and .264 WM is that the SAAMI specs for those don't let them get where they need to be. If you are happy with lighter bullets keep shooting them, they are perfect for you. If you want to shoot the long heavies the 6.8 Western will be a better choice. That is the reason in a nutshell. They are offering what the shooting public wants right now. I think they hit it dead center and I think it's going to be very successful.

In the end offering a new chambering has very, very little to do with the ammo shortage. The reason they aren't producing more and more to meet demand is because the demand will drop off as fast as it ramps up and they will be left with tons of new machines sitting idle and will have to lay off a bunch of people they spent a ton of money and time on training. It does not make sense for them to go crazy on boosting production beyond just keeping everything they have running full speed. A couple years ago they couldn't give ammo away. It's a cycle we have seen before. By the time the 6.8 Western takes off good we will be past this shortage, thru the next ammo sales downturn and probably on to the next shortage. It takes years for a new cartridge to take off to any meaningful degree.

I see a ton of hate out there over any new chambering that any of the big companies come out with. Same deal... we don't need it. Why not just do x? Why do we need this? I can just use y. If you like it, buy it. If you don't, don't. Pretty simple. The market will ultimately decide if they were right or not.

Comment

There was 40 boxes of ammo at www.sgammo.com earlier today. Winchester 165 accubond for a good price. I just wish I could find the gun

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowslinger1 View Post
                There was 40 boxes of ammo at www.sgammo.com earlier today. Winchester 165 accubond for a good price. I just wish I could find the gun
                84 boxes now

Comment

Reviving this thread since it’s been almost a year and I am considering getting a 6.8western. Want some updated thoughts/experiences on people who
                  Have had a chance to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A few boxes of Ammo at Abilene Academy yesterday

Comment

Working...
                    X