No announcement yet.

Youth Rifle recommendations???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just bought my 11 year old a Tikka T3x Compact (not CTR) in 7mm08.

It’s a 20” barrel and balances very well. Starts with a 12.75 length of pull and comes with the add on spacer extension

I am moving him to that from a 243

Comment

Mine have a 7-08 with reduced recoil loads. Was the best I could come up with for one to grow with them up to just about any big game animals

Comment

7mm-08 would be my choice. That said if the .300 Blackout isn’t getting the job done inside 150 yards you might need to change bullets or work on the marksmanship. I’ve found it to be a brutally effective deer and hog caliber.

Comment

7-08

Comment

I started my son on a 243 with managed recoil rounds. Moved him to 308 with managed recoil rounds at 10 and at 12 he is shooting the 308 with regular Hornady 168 grain bullets and is extremely confident in the bullet and gun. At 12 your son can probably handle any 25-06, 308, 270 7mm-08...once he has confidence at the range he won’t notice any recoil when hunting.

Comment

My 7 year old has a 300bo and a 7mm08 waiting for her when she is ready. My oldest started on a 260 using reduced recoil
              Loads.

Comment

I hate to tell you, but the AR in 300bo will be plenty. I mean, 22-250 in 1:10 twist for heavier bullets!

Comment

I do not own one but the 6.5 Creedmore is hard to beat mad he can grow into it. I on the other hand have had a .260 since before 6.5's were cool.

Comment

My 11 year old hunts with a 22-250. I still think it was a good choice. Hes shot my 308 a few times. I will probably let him go to that next but he doesn't think hes ready.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrail18 View Post
                      Browning X-Bolt Micro in 6.5 Creed or 7mm-08.
                      These are what I would suggest.

Comment

I’m not opposed to staying with the 300BO and accuracy is good. I have a Ruger American in a 6.5 Creed I may let her try. Just seeing what y’all’s opinions were. Not familiar with the 7-08 is it much bigger or different than the 300?

Comment

My son started with a 7mm08 Browning Micro Midas at 9yo shooting the Hornady Custom Lite 120gr SST ammo. He put down several pigs and deer with this combo.

Comment

Started my oldest out with a youth 243 and he knocked down every whitetail he shot with it. Just switched him over to a savage axis 6.5 with a boyds stock. I got the stock with a inch shorter buttstock to make it easier to shoulder and it works great! He is 9 this year so my best advice would be to get something with a shorter LOP to make it easier on them.
                            Last edited by trozy55; 01-02-2021, 10:04 PM.

Comment

I started out with a bull barrel 308 varmint and worked well. Pair that with reduced recoil ammo and can use the rest of his life by changing ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X