Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Draco View Post
    Thanks for that .458 data.
    Not a problem. I really needed to know bullet drop with both of my 458 loads. I have zero experience shooting a large bore gun past 100 yards. Including my 458 SOCOM. So I had no idea, what the bullet drop was going to be like or how much energy and velocity they would have past 100 yards. But now I know. I need to print out the bullet drop part of each of those charts for each load I still use and keep it with the gun and try to memorize the numbers. I used to have my 7mm Rem. Mag. bullet drop numbers memorized. Now, that I shoot so many greatly different rounds, I really need to carry the bullet drop data with me.
    Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 01-03-2021, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
      Not a problem. I really needed to know bullet drop with both of my 458 loads. I have zero experience shooting a large bore gun past 100 yards. Including my 458 SOCOM. So I had no idea, what the bullet drop was going to be like or how much energy and velocity they would have past 100 yards. But now I know. I need to print out the bullet drop part of each of those charts for each load I still use and keep it with the gun and try to memorize the numbers. I used to have my 7mm Rem. Mag. bullet drop numbers memorized. Now, that I shoot so many greatly different rounds, I really need to carry the bullet drop data with me.
      Yes sir! Having a dope sheet in your bag or wallet helps on those long range targets. I use the free Berger calculator and so far it has been spot on out to 800 on my 6.5 CM. I am in process of running my Chrony for velocities on several of my other calibers and making dope sheet on them as well. It all takes time as I only do one at a time and that is a half day's work getting to the range and set up then shooting strings.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
        Yes sir! Having a dope sheet in your bag or wallet helps on those long range targets. I use the free Berger calculator and so far it has been spot on out to 800 on my 6.5 CM. I am in process of running my Chrony for velocities on several of my other calibers and making dope sheet on them as well. It all takes time as I only do one at a time and that is a half day's work getting to the range and set up then shooting strings.
        Yea, I hate going to a range now days. Used to, most any place I could go to the range, be one of maybe two or three people on the range, at the most. Often, I was the only one at the range, I knew when it would be empty, that's when I went. The only time there is nobody on the range, is after dark, now days.. Nothing dumb going on most of the time. You could set up targets, go look at your targets, set up your chronograph, get it adjusted just right. Do what you need to do, at your pace. Now, going to any range I have been to in the last eight years or so, I have a strong desire to leave, before the range master starts yelling cease fire and turns on the flashing red lights.

That's why I have set up my own range at the house. Where we used to live, I had a range set up and again, I have a range set up. It works great, I can load a few rounds, go out shoot them off, read the primers, then go back in the house, make some changes, load a few more. Then back out side and try those. When I have not had a range at the house and had to go to a range. I would load up a bunch of ammo, with a lot of different powder charges, then head to the range. Really sucked, when I started shooting and found out my smallest powder charges were too hot. Then you have 30 to 40 loaded rounds, you can't shoot and a wasted trip to the range. Then I would have to go home and knock the bullets out and start all over. I hated those days. Took for ever to get anything done, then factor in, I was not able to make it to a range often.

Comment

Working...
        X