Clear All

300 WSM

7mm WSM

300 mag

Comment

Rossi break action in .22 LR .. I like a challenge

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
        Capstick, Rourke and others used to shoot all kinds of small game with hardcast or solids out of those old big bores, and punch neat little holes in em as to not destroy them.
        Sounds fun. 1,000 rounds of large caliber rounds at $4.00+ a trigger pull, only to kill a little prairie dog.

Comment

Originally posted by Raypo View Post
          Sounds fun. 1,000 rounds of large caliber rounds at $4.00+ a trigger pull, only to kill a little prairie dog.
          Yeah, I don’t remember any prairie dogs in their books .
          I'm pretty sure a .577 NE round weighs more than a prairie dog .

Comment

12 gauge 870 Wingmaster with a 3" chamber, a 24" barrel with rifle sights and screw in chokes.

Slugs for animals heavier than 40 pounds and shot for anything less than that.

Big 3" magnum slug got some horsepower, makes big holes that leak. Tears up shooter's shoulder, makes him not miss.

Comment

my choice would be a 300 win mag or 7 mag. Not sure if it is true or not but I believe I heard on a show or in a magazine some famous hunter shot all the horned animals in the America's with a 270.

Comment

300 WM no doubt. There's always "my buddy dropped a grizzly with a .243 guy".

Comment

Originally posted by Hardware View Post
                  I'm the one hunting so wouldn't choose pursuing game in the alders.
                  Got it. I will rephrase. Good luck telling your guide that you plan on shooting your bruin in the head from the beach. :-)

Comment

28 Nosler

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                      Got it. I will rephrase. Good luck telling your guide that you plan on shooting your bruin in the head from the beach. :-)

No different than Fred Bear shooting one with archery equipment full frontal standing at less than 20 yards.
                      Got to make it interesting to get the adrenaline flowing!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                        Here's some fun reading:

DON'T HAVE TIME TO READ 176 PAGES? HERE'S THE CHEAT SHEET. “Bullets matter more than headstamps.” “Spent primers offer the supreme tutorial”. I’ve read it here and elsewhere online. It got my attention. I started digging and asking questions and listened. The 77gr TMK delivered by a .223...

Elk, deer, moose, black bear all killed with the lowly 223
                        Absolutely love this thread! It just goes to show how little most people really know about terminal performance.

I grew up with my dad using a 22LR to kill 200 pound hogs and 1500 pound steers to eat. (Disclaimer: We rarely buy meat from a grocery store. Still kill a couple of hogs and a steer or two every year that we raise.)

I did not hunt anything but birds and coyotes growing up. Never had a place to go and dad only hunted geese/ducks. I always thought it was odd when I got into hog hunting 10 years ago everyone told me I should never use my 223 on a hog...
                        Last edited by rfroese; 12-28-2020, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rfroese View Post
                          Absolutely love this thread! It just goes to show how little most people really know about terminal performance.

I grew up with my dad using a 22LR to kill 200 pound hogs and 1500 pound steers to eat. (Disclaimer: We rarely buy meat from a grocery store. Still kill a couple of hogs and a steer or two every year that we raise.).
                          Shooting livestock that you hand feed is not really an apt comparison to killing a wild elk at 250 yds....let alone a brown bear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

338 Win Mag and 200 grain Partitions.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Lazy2P View Post
                              And on bigger critters with smaller calibers, that’s what earholes are for.
                              22-250 ear hole em all.

LOL..

300 winnie is just hard to beat period.

30-06 would also be tough to beat although it gets no love nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                                22-250 ear hole em all.

LOL..

300 winnie is just hard to beat period.

30-06 would also be tough to beat although it gets no love nowadays.

30-06 gets no love because it’s actually very easy to beat...with the .300 Winnie![emoji16]

Which is also easy to beat with the .300 Weatherby. I think the .300 Weatherby would be my actual answer to the original question, but they just aren’t as cool as a .375 H&H.[emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X