Originally posted by wilydawg View Post
    Robert,

Can you do a #1 in 22 Creedmoor?
    Yes

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzsaw View Post
      1-10 is standard
      1-11 is fine too
      I wouldn't go slower than 1 in 10 but I'm wondering if 1 in 9 is better since the trend in .30 cal bullets is to get longer and heavier. Is 1 in 9 too fast for 180gr?

Comment

I'm running a 10 twist on my apr 30 nosler. It's ran 200-230s great to 600 yards. Average. 5moa or better and clean straight pass throughs to 610 on a red hind with the 230s.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
          I'm running a 10 twist on my apr 30 nosler. It's ran 200-230s great to 600 yards. Average. 5moa or better and clean straight pass throughs to 610 on a red hind with the 230s.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
          Great thanks!

Comment

No 1

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
              I wouldn't go slower than 1 in 10 but I'm wondering if 1 in 9 is better since the trend in .30 cal bullets is to get longer and heavier. Is 1 in 9 too fast for 180gr?
              Under the heading of "Let's get Crazy", I ran berger twist rate stability calculator (https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/), with 245 gr Elite Hunter, 2700FPS mv, 90deg temp, 0 altitude, for 1 in 10" twist, result is "marginally stable" with 1.28 SG vs "standard" of 1.5. Same factors, 1 in 9" twist is "stable" with 1.58 SG. So, 1 in 9 will stabilize a very heavy round in demanding environmental conditions. You MAY find a scenario where 1 in 10 would not.

Re "is it too fast for 180g", my reading indicates no, as RPM is well below that required to shred bullet jackets. I'm not sure why big manufactures continue to use 1 in 10 or 11 barrels for 300WM. Most experts would advise 1 in 9 with no risks.

Comment

Originally posted by knash View Post
                Under the heading of "Let's get Crazy", I ran berger twist rate stability calculator (https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/), with 245 gr Elite Hunter, 2700FPS mv, 90deg temp, 0 altitude, for 1 in 10" twist, result is "marginally stable" with 1.28 SG vs "standard" of 1.5. Same factors, 1 in 9" twist is "stable" with 1.58 SG. So, 1 in 9 will stabilize a very heavy round in demanding environmental conditions. You MAY find a scenario where 1 in 10 would not.

Re "is it too fast for 180g", my reading indicates no, as RPM is well below that required to shred bullet jackets. I'm not sure why big manufactures continue to use 1 in 10 or 11 barrels for 300WM. Most experts would advise 1 in 9 with no risks.

I've long thought a 1-8.75T is about the best compromise to handle everything in the big 30's.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
                  What’s the best twist rate for a 300wm hunting rifle using bullets from 180-215ish? I have a .35 Whelen for anything a wm won’t kill dead enough and I doubt I’ll shoot the 230gr but who knows what super cool bullets are coming down the line. 1in 9 too fast for 180s?

My last 300wm was a 9 and the 30 Nos that Robert and crew are building now is a 9. In my experience a 9 twist has zero negative effect on 180-230 class bullets.

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

What length action are you building the 6.5 PRC on?

Comment

Robert what 338 would be your pick with max 24” bbl?

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                        I've long thought a 1-8.75T is about the best compromise to handle everything in the big 30's.
                        That's exactly what you used for my 300WM Maverick last year! I much prefer your choices for my rifle over mine. Only one of us is an expert (NOT me!)
                        This year I plan to pay for a gun you build your way 100%. Maybe I'll pick the colors.

Comment

Long action if you want to shoot the heavies.

Originally posted by aggieman08 View Post

Comment

Originally posted by aggieman08 View Post

They built mine on a LA last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The 6.5 PRC cartridge was my choice on last years build. (it may be on this years too)
                              You should be able to choose a short or long action with this cartridge.

As a lover of efficiency and compact, lightweight rifles I struggled with the option to go short or long action. At the last minute I chose the long action for 2 good reasons...

1. The option to use longer, heavier bullets for the long range advantage.
                              2. The option to re-barrel in a long action magnum cartridge in the future if so desired.

My long action 6.5 PRC still shoots Hornady factory ammo as accurately as I could want.
                              To me, the minor advantage that the short action may offer does not compare to the 2 above mentioned factors. Best of both worlds & I like options.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                                Robert what 338 would be your pick with max 24” bbl?
                                On paper, the 33 Nos looks like the one to beat.

Comment

Working...
                                X