Load Development in 25 shots or less

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    I need to jump into an annealer. That’s a breakdown on my process that I need to remedy. I’d love to have an AMP annealer but daaaaaannnnggggg.

My CoAx is comfortable up in N Tex. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Appropriate sizes drill bit, a cordless drill and a Bernzomatic propane torch is all you need.

That is how I have annealed my brass for a long time and it works just fine. I MHO, there is no need to spend hundreds on an annealing specific machine, unless of course you just want to.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
      Appropriate sizes drill bit, a cordless drill and a Bernzomatic propane torch is all you need.

That is how I have annealed my brass for a long time and it works just fine. I MHO, there is no need to spend hundreds on an annealing specific machine, unless of course you just want to.

Maybe a silly question but what is the drill bit for?

Comment

Mike, I use a drill bit just a hair smaller that the size of the case neck you are annealing. Slide the case on to the drill bit, run the cordless drill and spin the case while holding it in front of the flame and then drop the case into a metal coffee can to cool off.

Comment

Mike, I use a drill bit just a hair smaller that the size of the case neck you are annealing. Slide the case on to the drill bit, run the cordless drill and spin the case while holding it in front of the flame and then drop the case into a metal coffee can to cool off.

I’ve also seen people take a socket slightly bigger than the case base, put the case in base down and spin the case with the mouth up to be accessed by the flame.

I bought an AnnealEZ and really like it. Only a fraction of the cost of an Amp or Prometheus

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

For those of you around Cypress or Tomball I have an anneleze if you bring your cases over I will do it for you.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Great write up cb, it should be emphasized that an accurate chrono is a must for this. What I call accurate rules out all but about 3.

Comment

Doesn’t sound very consistent, Annealeez are $275, consistent and faster.

Comment

I need to jump into an annealer. That’s a breakdown on my process that I need to remedy. I’d love to have an AMP annealer but daaaaaannnnggggg.

My CoAx is comfortable up in N Tex. [emoji16]

google DIY induction annealer. You can build one for a lot less than the AMP (not saying it will be as good, but it's significantly more control than torch). I've seen builds under $100, and plan to make one at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                    Great write up cb, it should be emphasized that an accurate chrono is a must for this. What I call accurate rules out all but about 3.

Do you care to mention your top 3? looking to buy a new one in the very near future to replace my old hand my down....

Comment

I use a Magnetospeed V3 chronograph. Have never had an issue but I also don't have a different one right beside it to compare.
                      Since you attach it to the end of your barrel, one thing I don't try to do when using it is test group size because I do believe having anything strapped to your barrel affects the harmonic balance of the barrel when a shot it fired. So typically, I will chronograph after I have a load developed that is giving me tight groups.

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                        Do you care to mention your top 3? looking to buy a new one in the very near future to replace my old hand my down....

The 3 that come to mind are:
                        LabRadar
                        Magnetospeed
                        Ohler 35P

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                          I’ve also seen people take a socket slightly bigger than the case base, put the case in base down and spin the case with the mouth up to be accessed by the flame.

I bought an AnnealEZ and really like it. Only a fraction of the cost of an Amp or Prometheus

Sierracharlie out....
                          I have had an Annealeez for 3-4 years now and really like it. Fast and easy, seems to do a good job. I don't run it off the small cylinders though, I run it off a big propane bottle using an adaptor. Seems to keep the flame more consistent that way.

Comment

thanks for the input from everyone, I use a magnetospeed but in a perfect world I would like a labradar - so you can chrono while you're shooting groups

Comment

Originally posted by cb4128 View Post
                              thanks for the input from everyone, I use a magnetospeed but in a perfect world I would like a labradar - so you can chrono while you're shooting groups

I recently made the switch for that exact reason. Set up is faster too.

Comment

I have seen the labradar unit but don't know anything about pricing on them. What price range do they run in?

Comment

Working...
                                X