Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Youth Deer Rifle - Which Caliber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Savage Lady Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor or 7mm-08

LWD

Comment

Originally posted by txag View Post

check out this thread. Look at the pics. Keep an open mind.

DON'T HAVE TIME TO READ 176 PAGES? HERE'S THE CHEAT SHEET. “Bullets matter more than headstamps.” “Spent primers offer the supreme tutorial”. I’ve read it here and elsewhere online. It got my attention. I started digging and asking questions and listened. The 77gr TMK delivered by a .223...

i had my wife (who has never shot a rifle) hitting at 200 and 300 yds today with a 223. Literally her 3rd and 4th shots ever with a rifle. The no recoil thing is a big deal.
      [ATTACH]1029720[/ATTACH]

Comment

We started with a youth 243 and it works great. Just upgraded to a savage 6.5 (the free walmart gun lol) and put a boyds stock on it with a shorter lop so the kids can shoulder it better. Main thing on any gun for kids is that it fits them.

Comment

my first rifle was a 243 that poppa gave to daddy and daddy gave to me ! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
            I’ve had a 223, 243, 7mm08 and 6.5cm.

I ended up starting my kids on a 223 axis youth and 243 youth ruger american. If I had to choose one to start them with I’d do a 223 and keep shots at less than 50 yards due to the low recoil. Then I’d move them up to a 243 or 7mm08.

One problem with the youth sized models is they are lighter so they end up having more recoil than a full sized gun. Just something to keep in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it is a composite stock add some weight. That is what I did to my 223 that the kids used. They loved it and in fact still use it. My oldest killed his deer with it this year. It went 30 yards and fell over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Both my son and daughter have 7mm08

Comment

Working...
              X