No announcement yet.

Cheap guns vs nice guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a few Savages, some cheaper some a little more, Old Remington, Winchester, Weatherby, Marlin......

Even cheap bolt guns shoot really good. I have several that out shoot several of my older expensive guns. My go to now is a Savage 10 in 308. It was a little less than $600. I have the Trigger set at 2.5#s and it is a shooter. I guess the only exception has been the Ruger American. I had one in 7.62X39 that just would not shoot that well. It never got better than 2.5MOA

I have found that even todays cheaper scopes($300-600) are really good. I guess precision is much easier and cheaper today than 20-30 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by sambo73 View Post
      Have it narrowed down to 7mm-08 & 25-06

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
      I’m a big 7-08 fan.

Comment

Cheap guns vs nice guns

A civic can get you places just fine, but sometimes it’s more fun to drive a Corvette. Loading up to head to the range right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My goto rifle is a Ruger American Predator in 25-06 with a Leupold AR Mod1 scope. It's a great hunting rifle!

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
            I’m a big 7-08 fan.
            Me too!

Comment

Originally posted by toaster View Post
              My goto rifle is a Ruger American Predator in 25-06 with a Leupold AR Mod1 scope. It's a great hunting rifle!
              Where u find it at?

Comment

Here's the way I look at it. If you can utilize the tools you have you can become better. For example one of my buddies has a Zeiss scope with the windage and elevation turrets on it like he's some kind of sniper or somethin. He still uses Kentucky windage when he shoots with that rifle. So what's the point?

You can buy the nicest rifles,best scopes and all around best equipment money can buy. That doesn't make you any better than the next guy. A good trigger is what I need and look for in a rifle first and foremost.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                  Here's the way I look at it. If you can utilize the tools you have you can become better. For example one of my buddies has a Zeiss scope with the windage and elevation turrets on it like he's some kind of sniper or somethin. He still uses Kentucky windage when he shoots with that rifle. So what's the point?

You can buy the nicest rifles,best scopes and all around best equipment money can buy. That doesn't make you any better than the next guy. A good trigger is what I need and look for in a rifle first and foremost.
                  As Roger Waters once said “you can give a man a Les Paul, but that doesn’t mean he becomes Eric Clapton”

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post

Well put. A really good trigger is VERY important.

Comment

Setting in a deer stand I have to see that rifle I'm hunting with every once in a while, life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                        I have a few Savages, some cheaper some a little more, Old Remington, Winchester, Weatherby, Marlin......

Even cheap bolt guns shoot really good. I have several that out shoot several of my older expensive guns. My go to now is a Savage 10 in 308. It was a little less than $600. I have the Trigger set at 2.5#s and it is a shooter. I guess the only exception has been the Ruger American. I had one in 7.62X39 that just would not shoot that well. It never got better than 2.5MOA

I have found that even todays cheaper scopes($300-600) are really good. I guess precision is much easier and cheaper today than 20-30 years ago.
                        I guess one man's definition of cheap is high to another man. To me 300-600 is high for a scope...atleast the 600 is

Comment

Think I am going to local shop on my lunch hour and fondle a few

Comment

My only hunting rifle is my 1980s era Remington 700 in 300 Win Mag which replaced my 1980 Remington 700 in 30-06. I will use as my backup, my Remington 700 in 338 Win Mag, next year when I hunt elk. All three are wood and beautiful though my 300 has some hunting marks on it.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
                              With the accuracy of today’s guns, it’s more about preference and application than anything.

I completely agree with this. I have a Savage 111 with the Acutrigger that shoots as well as my Christensen and Mauser M12.

I would recommend buying the best glass you can afford even when shooting a budget rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
                                I just bought a Tikka T3x Superlite in 243 Win a couple of weeks ago. Have not worked up a load yet for it but am working on it. I will be loading Barnes 80 gr TTSX.
                                I did buy a box of Barnes factory Vor-TX ammo in 80 gr TTSX and the attached photo is what it did right out of the box.
                                I have a buddy who shoots 20k rounds a year working in predator control for the federal government and he told me for the money, Tikka is the best rifle out there and very accurate. The actions are butter smooth and I paid $700 for mine.
                                What's not to like about that?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                                Do you find that the recoil on the Superlite is significantly more pronounced due it's light weight? I am a small-ish female so both weight and recoil can be issues for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X