Question for the AR experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crash8005 View Post
    If you need some ammo I can spare a box of Federal Fusion. Guarantee you it will work. Just need to figure out how to get it to you.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP, here's your solution right here!!

Crash, good on you sir!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      OP, here's your solution right here!!

Crash, good on you sir!

Already PM’d him. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The post where the guy said don't hunt with hollow points made me giggle. Thats exactly the kind of bullet he needs. Ballistic tip/fmj/steelcore is a no-go for hunting deer..pigs it doesn't matter, hell use tracers an get fresh chicarones

Comment

Originally posted by talleywack97 View Post
          The post where the guy said don't hunt with hollow points made me giggle. Thats exactly the kind of bullet he needs. Ballistic tip/fmj/steelcore is a no-go for hunting deer..pigs it doesn't matter, hell use tracers an get fresh chicarones
          Not all hollow points are meant for hunting though. If the copper jacket isn't bonded to peel back with the lead core for expansion you will get jacket separation and very little hydrostatic shock. My brother and I confirmed this in when we checked the lungs of the doe he shot. We were lucky to recover.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
            I had this same question a while back and searched the internet high and low for answers. What I got was mixed opinions. Here's my own opinion, not based on experience, but just based on what I've read.

You can kill a deer with a 55 grain bullet in .223, but it is less than ideal, and I probably wouldn't do it. If you insist on shooting deer with an AR-15 in .223/5.56, I think one of the best rounds you can use is the Speer Gold Dot .223 in 72 grains. I base this on its performance on ballistic gel. This round creates a lot of internal damage.

AR-15's typically come in 1:7, 1:8, or 1:9 rifling. 1:9 works better with lighter rounds, like 55 grain. 1:7 works better with heavier grains like 72 grain. 1:8 works well with both. You can shoot lighter grains with 1:7 rifling or heavier grains with 1:9 rifling. It's just less than ideal.
            Here is a Speer Gold Dot 62gr bullet I recovered from a hog I shot last year around 160yds out.

Entered right above left foreleg through both lungs and lodged in the shield on the opposite side.

This is what you want from your bullet, especially in a smaller than ideal caliber.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X