X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Varget for my 168AMAX match loads. CFE223 for pig killers in the AR10

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
      Varget before it was tough(er) to find, CFE 223 currently just because I have 10 pounds of it. You have to watch for excessive pressure, but it's definitely a powder that will increase velocity. I like the powder for 7-08 and 22-250 as well.

I use the .308 to plink with out to 700y and occasionally stretch it to 1000y. Mainly it's my work up load development to ascertain how variables impact group size, ES, MV etc

Target load .308, 175 gr. SMK, 46.5 gr CFE223 , 2690 MV, 20" heavy Palma barrel for
      Hunting load .308 130 gr. Barnes TTSX, 53.0 gr CFE 223, 3050 MV
      Thanks for the load data

Comment

I'll be the odd ball. I've used H4831sc 46gr behind 168 Barnes tsx.
        Works good for me out of a Browning A-bolt. The reason I used it was it flows good from the powder thrower in my Hornaday AP press.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
          I'll be the odd ball. I've used H4831sc 46gr behind 168 Barnes tsx.

Works good for me out of a Browning A-bolt. The reason I used it was it flows good from the powder thrower in my Hornaday AP press.

Not to odd ball. I used a similar load with that powder . I used the 155 gn A-Max bullet & Winchester large rifle primer.

Velocity was mediocre, but groups were exceptional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            Especially when you top it off and crunch it

It’s only 5% compressed.

Don’t be skeered.

Comment

Varget

Comment

Just an fyi, I was told by a guy who runs a reloading supply shop that the big reason Varget is so hard to come by right now is Hogdon is not able to obtain one of the key ingredients to the formula to make it.

He said as he can get it he puts it out & it’s literally gone in 60 seconds.

So if this is true, once it’s gone it may be gone for good.

Any of y’all heard anything like this?

Comment

Welp...I had one more batch of test loads that I wasn’t able to try yesterday because it got too late. Went to the range today and this happened. 35.9 grains seems to be what I need to work around. 1/2” squares on the target. 3 shot group in the first pic and I adjusted the scope and that’s the 4th and last round of the bunch I loaded.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Since the 6gt cane out last year Varget has been difficult to get. I run 42gr Of Varget with a 168gtbthp round. I’ve always liked it because poi wasn’t different between summer match shooting or winter hunting temps.

Comment

Both out of my 26” 1:12 twist remington 700. 308 win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Montan View Post
                        Since the 6gt cane out last year Varget has been difficult to get. I run 42gr Of Varget with a 168gtbthp round. I’ve always liked it because poi wasn’t different between summer match shooting or winter hunting temps.

You would think as long as Varget has been around and how popular it continues to be for a plethora of cartridges they would work on making metric tons of that stuff.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

BL-C(2) with Hornady 168grain.
                          Works like a charm.

Comment

Originally posted by RangerRick2012 View Post
                            BL-C(2) with Hornady 168grain.
                            Works like a charm.

Lol! I had 3 lbs of that & I could never get any of my .308s to like it.

My friend from gunsmith school had a .308 that he uses for competition & loved it. So he inherited all I had left.

Comment

Since I didn't see anyone else mention it yet and Varget is hard to come by currently, IMR 8208XBR is another good option. If throwing charges instead of weighing it is even better as it meters better.

Standard options for me while I ran a custom ammo business was as follows:

Varget
                              8208XBR
                              H4895
                              Last edited by bdubb; 10-13-2020, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
                                Just an fyi, I was told by a guy who runs a reloading supply shop that the big reason Varget is so hard to come by right now is Hogdon is not able to obtain one of the key ingredients to the formula to make it.

He said as he can get it he puts it out & it’s literally gone in 60 seconds.

So if this is true, once it’s gone it may be gone for good.

Any of y’all heard anything like this?

For what it's worth to those reading, Hodgdon is a importer/packager/distributor for the extreme branded powders, and likely others as well.

Thales / ADI in Australia makes those powders. Ships them in what is basically large bags to Hodgdon. They do their batch testing, or mixing voodoo etc. and package it all to sell as a Hodgdon powder.
                                Last edited by bdubb; 10-13-2020, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X