• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scope for Long Range Hunting

NF NXS 5.5x22x56

VX-5HD 7x35x56

Price point is about same... specs are maybe not Apples to Apples

Opinions please

I’d replace the NXS with an NX8, and probably consider the MK5HD instead of VX5HD. Yes I realize there’s a weight trade off, but in turn you get much better turrets and a bit better reticles. They’re worth the minimal weight difference.

Comment

Athlon ETR is about the best bang for buck, APR sells them and site sponser.

Comment

Im looking into this as well.

Down to Mark 5
        Athlon ETR
        Vortex Razor

I think mark 5 is in the lead so far with weight and fit finish

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
          Im looking into this as well.

Down to Mark 5
          Athlon ETR
          Vortex Razor

I think mark 5 is in the lead so far with weight and fit finish
          You mentioned that as a ELR rig, which is why I recommended the Razor. As a long range hunter I’ll absolutely lean towards the MK5. In that scenario weight is more of a factor, but the low light performance of the MK5 is considerably better than the Razor. Both are two very big factors for a hunting rifle to me.

Comment

Athalon Ares ETR love mine and it's so much more affordable

Until you get your hands on one feel the clicks and look don't overlook it

Comment

If you decide you want to look at an Athlon Cronus instead of the ETR I have one I’m about to post up for sale. I’m pretty local too

Comment

My long term goal is to swap heavy ELR barrel to a carbon fiber 6.5 PRC barrel and remove stock weights to make a lighter weight fall hunting rig

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                You mentioned that as a ELR rig, which is why I recommended the Razor. As a long range hunter I’ll absolutely lean towards the MK5. In that scenario weight is more of a factor, but the low light performance of the MK5 is considerably better than the Razor. Both are two very big factors for a hunting rifle to me.

Comment

I would go mark5 out of those 3. Its the only leupold I would consider for dialing. Razor is sweet but way to heavy for a hunting rig. I also think the ares ETR is nice for the price and for a China scope it seems to track but it's a little heavy as well.

I have 5 of the leupold mark5's 3 are the 5-25×56 and 2 3.6-18×44. I really like them. Will own more. I also just picked up 2 of the ares etr's for more of a budget friendly scope for a couple 22lr builds. But weight wasnt a factor.

Comment

Scope for Long Range Hunting

Out of the 2 you have posted I would go NXS as sometimes the lower range zoom is needed. Never know when you have animals closer then expected and finding with a 7x can get interesting. Not sure you can bad with either but with the high mag (35x) you will get a lot of mirage and other visual defects. I would made look at a smaller vx 5 like the 4-20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X