Leupold MK5 or Vortex GEN II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leupold MK5 or Vortex GEN II

Looking to top my new 300 PRC ELR rig with a scope. Trying to decide between these two scopes. anyone have some input to consider?

Leupold has more internal adjustment of 120 moa and is way lighter. but no illumination and 35 mm rings

Vortex seems to be built like a tank and weighs like one to but seems to be what alot of PRS guys use. Thinking id run out of adjustment and need to use reticle past around a mile +

Scott

Love my mk5. I actually like the clarity and ease to rest behind the eyepiece better than my kahles

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

The main answer you're going to get is "I don't think you can go wrong", and I believe that as well. Both are great scopes.

The weight of the Vortex scared me away for all my applications. However, for what you're going to be using it for, it is a non-factor. Honestly, more weight=more better.

For bench shooting in good light and on high power, illumination wouldn't be important to me. So I'd throw that one away, as well as the 35mm ring thing. There are lots of good options out there now.

To me, for your application, the main factor to consider is elevation adjustment without using the reticle (if you don't want to). That is the only category I feel has a winner, like you pointed out. Everything else is a wash to me. Also, if you're a cosmetics guy, the black Mark 5 is easier to match to a gun than the gray-ish color of the Razor. Good luck!

Comment

Between those 2 Leupold hands down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Not a fan of any Leupold reticle offerings. I’d stick with the Gen II with EBR7. I prefer the Leupold in every aspect but reticle.

I take that back. While I’m not a H-59 for any of my particular uses I’d consider one for an ELR rig.
          Last edited by TX03RUBI; 06-16-2020, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Reticle would be PR-1 MOA for Leupold
            EBR-7C MOA on vortex

Comment

They are both good scopes. For me the weight is the biggest draw back of the vortex. Depends on the use though. There's some good pricing out there for both if ya look around. I have 5 of the mark5's all with the pr1 moa reticle so you could say I'm a fan...

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
                Reticle would be PR-1 MOA for Leupold
                EBR-7C MOA on vortex
                For your uses I’d highly recommend you run milrad. Most shooters will run mils. Easier for spotters to call corrections. Pretty much everybody I shoot with runs mil and trying to convert takes some time. Lots of really good options for mil scopes. Lots bigger used market with more serious shooters using it.

I prefer leupold reticles for hunting rigs. Not for LR target work. Don’t discount Nightforce either. The F1 atacr is a great optic. Kahles too.

Comment

I may have misread your original question. After rereading I think you may have been comparing the Razor to the Mark 5 and not the PST Gen2.

Razor is much more comparable to the Mark 5.

If that’s the case pick the one that has the reticle you like and the weight you can live with and roll with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have both a mark 5 and a PST gen 2. I like the glass on the mark 5 better.

Comment

Originally posted by Djacker View Post
                      I have both a mark 5 and a PST gen 2. I like the glass on the mark 5 better.
                      He’s looking at the Razor Gen II not the PST.

Comment

Working...
                      X