Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

6mm ARC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
    Because the world needed another 6mm cartridge.

No, but neither did we need another (2) 6.5mm or 30 caliber but Hornady thought we did and people jumped on the bandwagons so here we are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Designed for a small frame AR usage with actual available factory ammo support absolutely. I’ll wait while you name another.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post

Designed for a small frame AR usage with actual available factory ammo support absolutely. I’ll wait while you name another.
        Exactly. Guys always talk about new rounds purely in terms of ballistics. The 6.5 Creedmoor didn’t do anything that so and so’s custom fast twist .260 Remington couldn’t with heavy bullet hand loads.

I do roll my own, but it’s nice to have the option of factory ammo, and the biggest plus is off the shelf rifles.

Comment

Ordered an upper from CMMG, I went with the 20" barrel, and 1:7.5 twist. I talked with a guy that has been shooting a 6mm ARC and he is necking down 6.5 Grendel brass, and his shoots 108 gr bullets @ 2550 FPS out of a 20" barrel. Hornady advertises close to 2800 FPS but they are using a 24" barrel for data. So, probably a barrel under 20" will not do the cartridge any favors. Powders seem to be H4895, CFE223 or RL15, and bullets from 103-108 gr shoot well.

Hornady will have a choke hold on the caliber for a while with ammo and components, but I heard Federal submitted data to SAAMI for approval.

Comment

Well I ordered a 18” 3 Gr 8 twist in SPR contour from X Caliber yesterday. Guess we’ll see how she does. Everything I’ve shot from X Caliber has been an absolute hammer, and I’ve been a Bartlein and Rock Creek junky for years. Right now they’re about 8 weeks out, so I’ve got a ways til she gets here.

Comment

Has anyone seen this ammo at the big box stores or do you have to buy it online for now until be gains some momentum? Would love to convert my 556.

Comment

Originally posted by cgsrfr View Post
                Has anyone seen this ammo at the big box stores or do you have to buy it online for now until be gains some momentum? Would love to convert my 556.
                I aint found any but heard of some guys getting ammo. If you load your own you can run 6.5 Grendel brass in the 6ARC sizing die and you got 6ARC brass.

Comment

I put my hands on 5 boxes of 108 ELDMs last week.

Comment

I put my hands on 5 boxes of 108 ELDMs last week.

And then?......

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                      And then?......

Sierracharlie out…
                      Didn’t have a barrel coming yet, and I can order direct. So I left it on the shelf. I figure I’ve got 8-10 weeks til my barrel ships, so that should give me a bit of time to gather ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
                        Exactly. Guys always talk about new rounds purely in terms of ballistics. The 6.5 Creedmoor didn’t do anything that so and so’s custom fast twist .260 Remington couldn’t with heavy bullet hand loads.

I do roll my own, but it’s nice to have the option of factory ammo, and the biggest plus is off the shelf rifles.
                        Ding ding ding! I reload, but have probably reloaded less than 200 rounds since my daughter was born in September of '16. Having a custom built now in 6.5 PRC for that very reason. I'm a big Grendel fan, but looking forward to picking one of these up at some point as well.

Comment

Didn’t have a barrel coming yet, and I can order direct. So I left it on the shelf. I figure I’ve got 8-10 weeks til my barrel ships, so that should give me a bit of time to gather ammo.

Such a tease. I wanna see some testing haha

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                            Such a tease. I wanna see some testing haha

Sierracharlie out…
                            I do too! Honestly I’m more looking forward to the 105 BTHP than the 108 ELDM. The BTHP has proven to be hell on hogs for me out of both my 17” 556 and 24” 6 Creed. If distance was my goal with this build I’d prefer the 108 though. Thinking a 87 gr BTHP at roughly 2850-2900 will be bad medicine for swine as well.

Comment

I do too! Honestly I’m more looking forward to the 105 BTHP than the 108 ELDM. The BTHP has proven to be hell on hogs for me out of both my 17” 556 and 24” 6 Creed. If distance was my goal with this build I’d prefer the 108 though. Thinking a 87 gr BTHP at roughly 2850-2900 will be bad medicine for swine as well.

That 87 will be nasty and the 105 stuff should be solid.

I’m just a data nerd when it comes to ballistics. I’m curious to see some real world numbers out of different guns.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I didn’t read through all the posts so if it was mentioned already I’m sorry.

I have a Grendel and if the 6ARC has the same feed issues since it’s from the same case, I see no reason to add that and inherit those issues again.

Comment

Working...
                                X