Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

6mm ARC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
    I just don’t see the need. 64gr .224 Gold Dots at 2990 fps in front of a hefty dose of Power Pro 2000-MR out of my 18” AR kills stuff dead dead dead. Hornady scored on the 6.5 Creedmoor when the 260 already existed so I’m not counting it out when it comes to a mass following. The bolt face dims are going to limit them though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The need is a ~100gr. 6mm that will fit in an AR15, with off the shelf ammo availability.

Comment

6mm ARC?

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
      Just a heads up Dale the data I looked at of the ARC was tested with a 24” barrel. Cut 6 to 8 inches off that and you could be in the same speeds as the Grendel with a smaller bullet. Food for thought but obviously will vary by individual firearm.

Sierracharlie out…

You are correct. My previous Grendel shot 100 grain TTSX bullets at 2800fps with an 18” barrel. But the BC is going to be better on a 100 class 6mm bullet than a 6.5mm bullet.

At under 500 yards it won’t likely matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

6ARC 105 A-max at factory speeds

Grendel 123 A-max at factory and pretty much same velocity out of my rifle (18 inch barrel)

6ARC 105 A-Max at “AR platform” length barrel (16-18) guessed velocity (same speed as Grendel)

Seems like we are splitting hairs which is what I kinda expected. I’m not saying it’s a bad round but don’t see a huge advantage one way or the other. I love talking ballistics and rifles in general. If I didn’t have a Grendel I’d be buying one of these most likely.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          You are correct. My previous Grendel shot 100 grain TTSX bullets at 2800fps with an 18” barrel. But the BC is going to be better on a 100 class 6mm bullet than a 6.5mm bullet.

At under 500 yards it won’t likely matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

See post above Mike. Kinda interesting but expected. If I didn’t have a G I’d be buying an ARC most likely.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

It has potential. It’s the first Ar15 round in 6mm. The 22cal stuff all of it was a flop. The wildcat guys have about 50 versions of it and it’s doing well. I think enough of those guys will get tired of making brass and get onboard. Now the 87gr 25-45 will do 3000fps. It’s not the high BC 6mm but on a 300yd and in hunting Ar not sure the new bolt and mags are worth it.

Comment

6ARC 105 A-max at factory speeds

Grendel 123 A-max at factory and pretty much same velocity out of my rifle (18 inch barrel)

6ARC 105 A-Max at “AR platform” length barrel (16-18) guessed velocity (same speed as Grendel)

Seems like we are splitting hairs which is what I kinda expected. I’m not saying it’s a bad round but don’t see a huge advantage one way or the other. I love talking ballistics and rifles in general. If I didn’t have a Grendel I’d be buying one of these most likely.

Sierracharlie out…

Appreciate the info, look forward to getting a chance to set down and look over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                Appreciate the info, look forward to getting a chance to set down and look over it.

No problemo

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

While I agree with most of your statement, factory ammo is rated at just over 2800 out of a 24 inch barrel. Cut that to 18 or 16 for the AR platform, let’s say, and the velocity is less impressive. I know you have a good knowledge base of rifles and their components and have no doubt you will get a load for that 87 that cooks but I’m talking factory ammo. I’ll keep my Grendel personally. That’s just my thoughts on it.

Hand loading adds a whole new dynamic.

Sierracharlie out…
                  Not sure what I was thinking there. Was running too many projectiles through my mind at once, and got my velocities confused along the way somewhere. I’m really interested in running the 87-90 gr pills out of an 18” to get as close to 3k as possible, but the 105 BTHP may just win out for ease and cheap factory ammo support.

Comment

I contacted X Caliber this morning about spinning custom AR barrels for the 6 ARC. They had just got off the phone about expediting the reamer, and should be up and running on them in a few weeks. I’m hoping to have a 18” spun up on a rifle length gas system and SPR contour pretty soon. Thinking I’ll stick with 8 twist.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                      Not sure what I was thinking there. Was running too many projectiles through my mind at once, and got my velocities confused along the way somewhere. I’m really interested in running the 87-90 gr pills out of an 18” to get as close to 3k as possible, but the 105 BTHP may just win out for ease and cheap factory ammo support.

Haha I’ve been there. Too many projects in my head and can’t keep them straight. An 87-90 grain projectile going over 3k is gonna be a hammer too.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                        I contacted X Caliber this morning about spinning custom AR barrels for the 6 ARC. They had just got off the phone about expediting the reamer, and should be up and running on them in a few weeks. I’m hoping to have a 18” spun up on a rifle length gas system and SPR contour pretty soon. Thinking I’ll stick with 8 twist.
                        Might double your order

Comment

I’m excited about it for a number of reasons, primarily as a hunting round for kids. Yeah, I know you can do it with a .223 just fine, and mine may, but given the choice between hitting one lung with that or a 6mm I’d choose the latter. Hate to have a kid lose their first deer or watch one get wounded, plus in some states 6mm is the legal minimum.

I get that if you’re a hand loader who shoots custom rifles it’s nothing special, same could be said for the 6.5 Creedmoor. I do load, but it’s always a plus to me if factory stuff is available. It’s off the shelf rifles that are the big $ saver, hopefully at least the Howa mini actions come out in it, but it would be nice to have a few more choices also.

It’s going to be slower than the 6.5 Grendel with the same weight bullets, it’s just how bore diameter works. However, the Grendel doesn’t really have the guts to push the heavier bullets fast, so with the 100 grain class the 6mm will have much better BC’s, lose less energy downrange, and have higher sectional density which increases penetration. You’ve also got a better selection of varmint bullets, this might be a really popular round with predator hunters.

I also like the fact that it’s just a barrel and bolt change in an AR, so it’s easy to set one up, if looks like it does around 2,500 FPS out of a 16” barrel with the 100 gr bullets.

Comment

I think it looks like a cool little round. I just built a 6.5 Grendel ar this past weekend. I would have considered the 6mm ARC if it was out when I ordered parts. I know these new cartridges are splitting hairs but I have truly loved my 6.5 PRC and my 6mm Creedmoor.

Comment

I think an excellent bullet really worth looking at for this cartridge would be the 87 VMAX. I have shot a whole bunch of these in my 243 on coyotes. Pretty good BC for a varmint bullet, they open fast, yet also have enough weight they dig decently deep. I actually killed the biggest hog I have ever killed with this bullet night hunting for coyotes one night.

I have 2 Grendels. I have often though a 6mm Grendel would be a really good cartridge. But when you run the numbers there really isn't that much difference on paper. I also know though that many times paper doesn't tell the whole story. Somehow I just feel the cartridge capacity of the Grendel case would be just about perfect pushing 6mm bullets.

Comment

Because the world needed another 6mm cartridge.

Comment

Working...
                                X