Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

1962 Remington 700

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1962 Remington 700

Came across a barreled action from a 1962 Remington 700 in .30-06. Was missing the bolt stop, bolt stop spring, trigger and pins as well as stock and bottom metal but I was able to source everything online (and trigger off TBH, thanks again twosixteens). 1962 was the first year that Remington made the 700, and this one has serial number 12400. It does have the original owner’s social security number etched into the receiver, not sure if that was a thing back in the day or what but it’s on there, google search indicates he passed away back in 2008 otherwise it would have been great to reach out and get some history on the gun. Thought some here might appreciate it, so here are some photos.

Last edited by Mary; 05-18-2020, 08:43 AM.

Very nice

Comment

Very nice, but the 700 came out in 1962. The 60s models had flat safeties before they transitioned to the round versions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
        Very nice, but the 700 came out in 1962. The 60s models had flat safeties before they transitioned to the round versions.

D'oh, I knew that, and the rifle is a 1962 as confirmed by Remington. The trigger is off an 80's model.

Comment

The 62 models and several years after had safeties with flat faces rather than curved profiles. Any chances it had an aftermarket trigger installed?

Comment

Nice! That’s a beauty, bub.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
              The 62 models and several years after had safeties with flat faces rather than curved profiles. Any chances it had an aftermarket trigger installed?

Yes. When I got the rifle it was only a barreled action. Everything else was sourced and added to make it as it sits now. I figured it was a first year considering it's a 12,*** serial number, but I confirmed it through Remington Customer Service.

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
                Yes. When I got the rifle it was only a barreled action. Everything else was sourced and added to make it as it sits now. I figured it was a first year considering it's a 12,*** serial number, but I confirmed it through Remington Customer Service.

That’s awesome. I have a 64 model 22-250. They definitely don’t make them as good as they used to

Comment

So from launch in 62 to 70(s) they have flat safeties?

I inherited my grandpa's 270 a couple years ago and it has a flat safety. Haven't bothered with trying to date it by s/n.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post

I inherited my grandpa's 270 a couple years ago and it has a flat safety. Haven't bothered with trying to date it by s/n.

I’m not sure which specific year they transitioned to the rounded safeties, but if you have a flat one then it’s definitely one of the early models.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post

Pm me the SN and I’ll confirm date

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post

I’ve never had luck verifying 700’s based on SN without going directly through Remington, I’ve always had to use the barrel stamp. If you know of a good database with dates by serial number range I’d appreciate if you’d share it!

Comment

What a nice, classic looking rifle, and in a classic caliber too. Outstanding. Yeah, back in the day a lot of folks used metal engravers to etch a “hidden” SS number to prove ownership if item was stolen and recovered. What a simple world we lived in back before identity theft was common.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                            Thanks. It'll probably be a bit before I can grab the S/N. It's not currently with me.

Comment

Also note how skinny the bolt handle is before it gets to the checkered knob compare to today's 700's...I actually like how these run.

Comment

Working...
                              X