.17wsm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.17wsm?

Was looking up this little round and started wondering why hasn’t it caught on? I know the .17hmr went wild and is not going anywhere but according to ballistics charts this screamer is the bees knees. Any ideas?

Poor selection of rifles and not that much better than the HMR if I want more performance than that will go up to the Hornet

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Too many 17's maybe. I have one, it's fun to shoot but I don't have prairie dogs or anything fun to shoot with it.

Comment

The only two selections are the Savage BMag (which IMO is a steaming pile of ****) and the Ruger 77/17. I’d gladly pay Ruger money for a WSM if I knew I’d good a good one, but they’re too hit or miss. I bought the BMag hoping to like it enough to keep it. Loved the caliber, but I haven’t felt such a cheap POS rifle before that. Ended up just buying a nicer 17 HMR which I shoot constantly. It’s a little CZ 457 Varmint. If CZ would make it in a WSM I’d buy one tomorrow.

Comment

All the one's I've used and handled were very inconsistent. Ammo is very hit or miss as well as the rifles from my experience.

Comment

Another thing I think really limiting it is how hard it would be to get it into all the standard rimfire size guns. Won't fit in a 17hmr or 22 mag sized action. So the gun manufacturers would have to redesign and create a rifle for it or try and put it in a short action of some sort. Only ones that have a semi sized close action is CZ and Howa mini actions but why would I get the puny rimfire and not just go straight to a .17 hornet at that point?

Really terrible design that didn't get enough gun manufacturers behind it to offer nice rifles in it for it to survive. The Savage bmags are absolutely trash from the ones I have dealt with and the 1 I owned.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

The first B-Mags got a bad reputation so I think people are afraid to spend money on one. I've never shot an inaccurate one myself. The worst accuracy I've seen from one was a thin barreled rifle with a poopy scope on it which was a lot of its problem. Even that one was good enough to kill a prairie dog with out past 100 yards. The heavy barreled B-Mags I've shot were good shooters. It's funny this subject came up and I saw it when I did. I just killed a big fat skunk at around 130 yards with my buddies .17wsm. Drilled it right in the side of the head.

When one of my buddies was deciding on getting the .17wsm he was torn between it and a 17Hornet. He went with the WSM on account of he don't reload.
              Last edited by okrattler; 05-15-2020, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                The first B-Mags got a bad reputation so I think people are afraid to spend money on one. I've never shot an inaccurate one myself. The worst accuracy I've seen from one was a thin barreled rifle with a poopy scope on it which was a lot of its problem. Even that one was good enough to kill a prairie dog with out past 100 yards. The heavy barreled B-Mags I've shot were good shooters. It's funny this subject came up and I saw it when I did. I just killed a big fat skunk at around 130 yards with my buddies .17wsm. Drilled it right in the side of the head.

When one of my buddies was deciding on getting the .17wsm he was torn between it and a 17Hornet. He went with the WSM on account of he don't reload.
                Mine shot just fine. The overall quality of the rifle was just a steaming pile though.

Comment

Working...
                X