No announcement yet.

280 AI on whitetail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I shoot 140 grain Accubonds and really like the performance.

Comment

Originally posted by PappaJ View Post
      I shoot 140 grain Accubonds and really like the performance.

X2

jrg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Accubond or Barnes TTSX 120 to 140 gr.
        If you don't mind a little bloodshot meat then plain old Remington PSP core lokt bullets will kill about anything.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
          I agree for some ST counties but not all and they are almost twice the size, body wise, as the Bucks I hunt in Brady.. Also Im a taxidermist so I see and measure plenty..
          If I was to replace your Mexico cape with a hill country cape I 100% garauntee you that you would see a significant size difference.. Completely different sub species..
          I think he meant that South Texas bucks are the same size as Mexico deer.

Most of our mature S.Tx bucks are weighing on the hoof 190-225 lbs with a rare exceptional one being in the 230-240lb range.

The hill country deer I come across will weigh anywhere from 125lbs to 150 lbs on the hoof.

I don’t know about being a different subspecies officially but South Texas and Mexico deer definitely have a different distinct look to them, but I can’t say whether it’s genetic or just diet/habitat related

In any case, a 120 grain bullet from a 7mm will smash a big south Texas buck
          Last edited by txtrophy85; 04-19-2020, 12:52 PM.

Comment

First things first, quit shooting those ratty *** ballistic tips at deer and save em for anything smaller than a coyote.

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
              First things first, quit shooting those ratty *** ballistic tips at deer and save em for anything smaller than a coyote.
              120gr nosler ballistic tip has a thicker jacket than any other BT so it is extremely deadly on deer

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
                See above. Don’t take bullet advice from azz shooters!

Comment

I don't load for the AI but I have done quiet a bit of development for the 280 Rem.

As stated above, I never could get the long for weight Accubond or Sirocco II to print well in 150 grain.

I went with the Nosler Partition in 150 grain.

I am safely pushing a 150 gr Nosler partition at 3000 fps using Hornady Superformace powder. Printing about .30 with this bullet powder combo.

I shot a 275 pound midwest whitetail this year with this load. High shoulder shot at about 150 yrs. I mean it was lights out, DRT. You couldn't have turned the lights out faster with a switch. He didn't even flinch after he hit the ground.
                  Last edited by turkeyhunter1; 04-19-2020, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                    See above. Don’t take bullet advice from azz shooters!
                    Very valid point there!

Comment

I shot 139 gr hornady interlocks in a 7mm mag at deer for years. Never had one move more than 10' from where he was hit. If your gun will push them 2900 fps or faster, and accurate, that is all you need. For that matter, most cup and core bullets work fine. You dont need any heavier bullets for whitetail. A couple of my buddies on the same lease shot 140 gr core lokt because they were accurate enough, and they put deer down right now.

Comment

I’ve gone to strictly shooting 140ttsx and 150ablr both bullets give me tremendous accuracy and are hammers on the deer and pigs I’ve shot with both. The 150’s are 3080-3100 depending on powder lot I’ve ran them faster too but I decided to back it down slightly.

Comment

I'm running 140 b-tips at 3250 out of a 26 in sendero contour and it absolutely hammers white tails, also have a load with 168 Berger hunting vld that thumps them with authority. In the last 4 seasons, i have had one deer run after the shot making it a whole 15 yards with the Berger. None have ran with the btip. Haven't had a chance to hit any hogs with it yet.

Comment

My son and I started with 159g Nos LRAB’s and had great success with near 100% DRT results. My son still uses this bullet.

I nearly lost a big Axis with them due to no exit so I switched to 140 Accubonds for a much more reliable exit.

Comment

I don't have the AI but have shot a .280 Rem for a long time. Taken white tail, mule deer, and elk all with 140 gr. Ballistic Tip.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                                I shot 139 gr hornady interlocks in a 7mm mag at deer for years. Never had one move more than 10' from where he was hit. If your gun will push them 2900 fps or faster, and accurate, that is all you need. For that matter, most cup and core bullets work fine. You dont need any heavier bullets for whitetail. A couple of my buddies on the same lease shot 140 gr core lokt because they were accurate enough, and they put deer down right now.
                                After either personally shooting or being apart of shooting over 200 whitetails i'm convinced that the best deer bullet is a standard cup and core like the Hornady interlock ( my favorite ) or a little bit snazzier one line a Ballistic tip or SST.

Bonded/Partition style bullets are fine of course in very fast calibers or for larger game like Elk or African Game, but imo pass thru too fast without expansion on deer size game.

Comment

Working...
                                X