Clear All

Originally posted by duckhunter175 View Post
    https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...tic-tests/#9mm

Here is all you need to know...

Federal HST, Speer 115gr/124gr Gold Dots, Winchester Ranger

thanks for the link, very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
      How are they going to know if it is reloaded ammunition? I certainly wouldn't volunteer that information. I don't remember where I got that ammo.
      “I was going hog hunting and happened to get attacked at the gas station.”

Give it a break. “Why did you shoot the guy with a pistol and not pepper spray, you cold blooded killer?” Would be a lot more reasonable question than “why do you reload you own ammunition?”

And for that matter, why do y’all carry hollow point ammo if you’re so worried about a trial? The military uses 9mm FMJ and it works for them.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
        The military uses 9mm FMJ and it works for them.
        So they say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by duckhunter175 View Post
          https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...tic-tests/#9mm

Here is all you need to know...

Federal HST, Speer 115gr/124gr Gold Dots, Winchester Ranger
          Federal HST is the winner in most "shootouts". There as a good video on youtube comparing a BUNCH of 9MM and this one won hands down. That said, I reload, too, and I wouldn't use my own reloads, no matter how careful, for self defense. I don't care how good you are are in your processes.

Comment

I like the Barnes TAC-XPD the best
            Federal HST in close second
            Speer Gold Dots third
            Hornady TAP's are good too

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
              Same here. I go back to if it’s justified shooting per TPC, it will never elven make it to a trial by jury. It will be no billed by the grand jury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
              not in a liability style suit,,, no requirements needed accept accepted by the court for a law suit and they are very liberal when accepting suits

Comment

Why did you use reloaded ammunition?
                Well, factory self defense ammo cost a dollar a bullet. I can reload for 25 or 30 cents a bullet, and i am on social security.

Comment

Originally posted by ken800 View Post
                  Federal HST is the winner in most "shootouts". There as a good video on youtube comparing a BUNCH of 9MM and this one won hands down. That said, I reload, too, and I wouldn't use my own reloads, no matter how careful, for self defense. I don't care how good you are are in your processes.
                  Yeah, cause factory ammo has never failed.

Comment

Speer is junk, did the FBI test and it failed miserably. Federal HST or Critical Duty.

Comment

Gold dot, HST, and Rangers. Probably already said above. There's a book called "street stoppers". Its a collection of data from almost every reported shooting in the U.S. from years past. .357 magnum was claimed to be the best pistol caliber. HST, COR bon, Gold dot, and Rangers (black tallon) were rated among the highest for performance out of all pistol calibers.

Comment

Originally posted by Randell View Post
                        Speer is junk, did the FBI test and it failed miserably. Federal HST or Critical Duty.
                        You're very wrong. The FBI selected the Speer Gold dot 147 grain when they first switched back to 9mm a few years ago. They did extensive testing and selected the caliber and the load. Speer created the "g2" line of ammo specifically for the FBI.

The FBI changes their ammo preference all the time. They have now officially switched to Hornady critical duty. The speer did not "fail".They awarded them the contract for a while before they switched because they felt the critical duty fit them "better".

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                          i was an leo for 30 years, i spent 10 years while there doing security work in a billion dollar law firm,,,, i got to be friends with a couple of the lawyers,,, and spent a lot of time talking to them about such things....

a good lawyer will make an issue of hand loaded ammo, and his most likely direction will to be paint you as a wacko who made his own ammo for the soul purpose of killing people,,, because if you were not wacked out you would have just bought any of the normal stuff that leo's and the fbi use,, but you wanted yours to be deadlier than what could be bought off the shelf...

it does not mean they will win, but it does mean you must now defend and explain under pressure why you could not use store bought ammo... remember you do not have to be intelligent or a 2nd amendment supporter to sit on a jury,,, and if you are pro 2nd, your chances of sitting on a jury in a gun case is very thin......so your chances of getting anyone who is pro gun on your jury is about nill... much less getting people who can reasonably think and reason for themselves

everyone is going to do what they want anyway,, but no way on earth i would want to be put on trial and have to defend myself because of hand loads, especially since factory ammo is so good now and they choices are wide,,, and those 30 years as an leo give me a big advantage over most of you in courtroom testimony because i have been there and done that many times,, so please use common sense and buy something off the shelf or even off the internet buy a manufacturer, not a reloader ,,, but in the end it is everyone's choice i know what can happen and i carry factory ammo,( and i have been reloading for almost 40 years now),, it is one less thing to give to the haters on the other side

and none of this even has to do with defending a justified shooting or not,,
                          What xman59 said...
                          (xman59- you have 5 years on me. I'm only at 25 LE/Military Small arms instructor, LE Range Master, LE SMG Instructor, IPSC when I'm not "working". But what do I know... LOL!!! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                            Don't leave us hanging. I always carry reloads for self defense. Nothing like having something crafted by my own hands and knowing it's going to work.
                            Yep. I load all of my own center fire ammo, have not bought any center fire ammo, in a very long time.

Comment

Still waiting on those cases where the defendant lost due to reloaded ammo.....

Comment

I carry Hornady Critical Defense in my EDC 9mm

Comment

Working...
                                X