No announcement yet.

Factory PRS Rifle Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here’s some things I’ve learned after about 12 matches. I still shoot my Bergara HMR in 6.5CM with athlon Ares ETR scope. (Pic attached)

The biggest complaint I have on the HMR is weight. It’s not heavy enough. I am about to add lead shot into butt stock of the stock or upgrade the stock to a grayboe ridgeback. The HMR stocks fore end is also very short so I added an area 419 Arca Rail 14” to give me more length on obstacles and the adjustability of of the bipod. (If you go this route Area 419 is now making an arca rail you can put brass weights in to add more weight. Wasn’t available a year ago.)

If I was starting over I would look at something I could get to a 15-16lb rifle. So the BMP and then add MLOK weights to the fore end. (I didn’t like the chassis on the BMP).

My buddy has the LRP and I’ve probably put 100 round through his and it’s a shooter, but no more than my HMR. So it’s a personal preference on feel.

If you are looking at the pro series look at the Bergara Ridgeback with the grayboe ridgeback stock. Amazing PRS stock with the MLOK rails on side and bottom and still meets all the adjustability of LOP and cheek rest, and you can remove your bolt with this stock with the cheek piece in any configuration.

If you have any questions on how the HMR is feel free to reach out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
      Bergera HMR $800
      Bergera HMR Pro $1250
      Seekins Havak Bravo $1500
      MPA BA PMR $1800

I listed my top choices for each price point. Those aren’t everyday prices, but wait and search prices. Not hard to do. I could find any of those rifles with 2-3 weeks for that price or better.
      The mpa is the best choice here imho. I wouldn’t look at anything else.

Comment

I have an HMR in 308 but if I could swing it, I'd get the Seekins...

Comment

If your worried about money and going to shoot a lot stay away from the 6mm creed and greater. Barrels cost a lot. Stay way from 308 wind eats it. 6.5creed is your best option in a factory gun and factory Ammo.
          Guys said Tikka. Well mags are proprietary and $$$ your going to need at least 3. If you like the BMP chassis then I would run that. That’s what I run. If you like a stock then the HMR is nice. Savage has a new comp gun not sure the price though. That could be better choice cause once you burn a barrel it’s easy to swap.

I see your budget is 800-1200. Don’t forget to compete you need decent glass. That’s 600-2k. Rings 100-300. 2 bags 150-200. Bipod 100-400.

Gaming ain’t cheap but smart purchases you can do it.

Comment

Someone said Howa. That is an option. Buy a barreled action and chassis of you choice. The barreled actions are cheap enough to be disposable. In fact this is probably the road I’m taking in the future.

Comment

I appreciate all the input so far. Right now, a rifle upgrade is my priority. I’ve got a couple decent options on glass that I’ll move to the new gun. I’ll be loading my own ammo so I don’t have to worry about factory loads. I’ve got plenty of components for both the 6 and 6.5 Creed already, which is why I want to stick to those two calibers. As far as barrel replacement goes, I’ll just have to cross that bridge when I get there and I understand that’s just part of this game.

Comment

Futureagg, thanks for the perspective on the HMR. Sounds like it’s similar to some of the shortcomings I’ve got with my magpul stock setup, just not quite as pronounced. I’ve got a buddy that has an HMR that I shoot really well, but I haven’t had a chance to really put it through it’s paces yet.

Snipermedic, does your BMP have a barrel nut on it? I’m seeing pictures of those rifles with and without them. I also found that Bergara will re-barrel one of their rifles for $500. Doesn’t sound unreasonable, but I’ve never done that before, so I don’t have any experience to compare that number to.

Comment

Badrock production rifle (southfork I think it’s called) or GA Precision would get my vote. They are a little north of your price range but worth the price of admission if you ask me.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by Rswan13 View Post
                    Futureagg, thanks for the perspective on the HMR. Sounds like it’s similar to some of the shortcomings I’ve got with my magpul stock setup, just not quite as pronounced. I’ve got a buddy that has an HMR that I shoot really well, but I haven’t had a chance to really put it through it’s paces yet.

Snipermedic, does your BMP have a barrel nut on it? I’m seeing pictures of those rifles with and without them. I also found that Bergara will re-barrel one of their rifles for $500. Doesn’t sound unreasonable, but I’ve never done that before, so I don’t have any experience to compare that number to.

Yes mine has the barrel nut. The first runs had nuts because they wanted them easy switable. The second gen doesn’t not have barrel nuts. You can but barreled actions from them and stock it how you want it.

Comment

I have an HMR with a Timney Trigger that I will make you a smoking deal on. Its a dead nuts shooter, but want to sell it and get something lighter. I bought it to be my long range antelope rig but carrying it 5-6 miles a day is no bueno!

Comment

Originally posted by zr2chevy22 View Post
                        Look at the PVA John Handcock rifle. They are a good production PRS class rifle but are above your budget. There are 2 or 3 other companies producing production legal PRS rifles also based off custom actions. Don't remember them off hand.
                        god no. Stay away from PVA for anything they don't immediately have in stock. They still have John Hancock orders from nearly 2 years ago that have not been fulfilled. No need to be annoyed by PVA and their lack of accountability or responsibility to a customer. There are too many other good smiths these days to put up with PVA. Go to APR or LRI or Straight Jacket or just about anyone else but PVA.

Comment

Working...
                        X