No announcement yet.

Most Underrated Cartridges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heck, I do free transfers for LE / mil & they would bring me .40 as a thank you & ended up having to get a gun to go with the ammo!! It was never my thing but still.

I only have one 9mm in a wilson edc & we might as well call it & the 45acp underrated while we are at it!!

There is no way 40 will ever become obsolete as just like the 30-06, it has made it's stamp on the market. Both are praised & doesn't matter if all of le dropped it today. Crazy talk.

Comment

Most Underrated Cartridges

.222 Remington is my vote.

As far as the .40 S&W, it is always interesting to me how when people compare it to 9mm, they always like to talk about how much better today’s bullet technology is. Although this is absolutely true, they always act as if that same technology does not apply to the .40 and 9mm is the only caliber that is improving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Raider4044; 02-20-2020, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Rifle-264 Win
        Pistol -357 sig( I’m sure some one will agrue just carry +p+ 9mm though, as if you can’t get + sig loads)
        Shot gun -28ga although almost every serious upland guy has one, by pales in numbers compared to 20/12

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
          Heck, I do free transfers for LE / mil & they would bring me .40 as a thank you & ended up having to get a gun to go with the ammo!! It was never my thing but still.

I only have one 9mm in a wilson edc & we might as well call it & the 45acp underrated while we are at it!!

There is no way 40 will ever become obsolete as just like the 30-06, it has made it's stamp on the market. Both are praised & doesn't matter if all of le dropped it today. Crazy talk.
          I agree with you that it isn't underrated nor will it become obsolete.

Comment

220 Swift - I have been shooting one since the late 70's and is my "go to" caliber for all things varmint. Up here, we can now use a 22 centerfire with a minimum 60 gr bullet for deer and antelope but I do not use mine on those game animals although it would certainly do the job well.
            The 22-250 got the popular vote back in the early days of the mighty Swift when it got saddled with the reputation of being a barrel burner.

28 Gauge - I have been shooting the little 28 for quite a few years on all upland game and ducks and geese over decoys. People way underestimate the capability of the 28. While you are not going to sky bust geese with it, over decoys it is highly lethal... and a lot more fun to shoot than a 12 or 20.

Comment

For a under rated pistol look no further than the 38 super. If i ever have enough spare change i will own one

Comment

22 mag gets no love but is a great little round

Comment

How exactly is a gun boring. A gun is just a tool used to kill/protect. A 30-06 will kill just like any other gun I don't get it. Not taking up for 30-06 I just don't get you guys and guns. To me it is just a tool, as long as I can hit my target before each season I don't even think about it. It's all about the execution. I guess that's the difference between gun enthusiasts and hunters.

Comment

For the 40 haters, 180s at 1225. Compare that to a 9mm and a 10mm and get back to me

And that is actual velocities out of a 5 inch gun. 1150 out of a 4 and 1050 out of a 3.
                    Last edited by RJH1; 02-20-2020, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
                      Well said.

Never understood why people like .40. High pressure round wears guns out wayyy quicker as compared to 9mm or .45. Hard to control compared to almost every other pistol caliber. (I can shoot my 10mm as good as my .40) If you want more power over a 9mm get a 10mm or .45. The .40 was literally designed for agents who couldn't handle the full power 10mm loads.

Idk, maybe math and stuff? All of this is from hodgdon’s website.

9mm: 124 grain, 1200 FPS from 4” barrel, 32,600 psi

40 s&w: 180 grain, 1160 FPS from 4” barrel, 32,300 psi (I’ve chronographed this load at 1225 FPS from a 5” Para 16-40)

10mm: 180 grain, 1287 FPS from 5” barrel, 34,600 PSI

45 ACP: 180 grain, 1126 FPS from 5” barrel, 17,800 CUP

As you can see, .40 is actually lower pressure than 9mm or 10mm.

Comment

Originally posted by UrbanBuck View Post
                        How exactly is a gun boring. A gun is just a tool used to kill/protect. A 30-06 will kill just like any other gun I don't get it. Not taking up for 30-06 I just don't get you guys and guns. To me it is just a tool, as long as I can hit my target before each season I don't even think about it. It's all about the execution. I guess that's the difference between gun enthusiasts and hunters.
                        It’s not new and shiny and doesn’t have a cool name like “creedmoor” or “weatherby magnum” or “ultra magnum.”

I am much more a gun nut than a hunter, and my go to rifle is a....

30-06.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post

40 will never go away but it’s quickly becoming an enthusiast caliber like the 10mm did years ago. And 20-30 years from now it will come full circle and be popular again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                            Idk, maybe math and stuff? All of this is from hodgdon’s website.

9mm: 124 grain, 1200 FPS from 4” barrel, 32,600 psi

40 s&w: 180 grain, 1160 FPS from 4” barrel, 32,300 psi (I’ve chronographed this load at 1225 FPS from a 5” Para 16-40)

10mm: 180 grain, 1287 FPS from 5” barrel, 34,600 PSI

45 ACP: 180 grain, 1126 FPS from 5” barrel, 17,800 CUP

As you can see, .40 is actually lower pressure than 9mm or 10mm.

Yes 10mm is a higher pressure round because .40 is a necked down 10mm. Btw if you test full power 10mm loads, they blow .40 out of the water in terms of performance. I copied the below write up in response to a similar question in an article.

40 is generally chambered in firearms designed for 9mm. There is less steel as a result when that firearm is converted to 40 by essentially boring out the chamber and barrel.

- 40 cases are larger in diameter than 9mm, thus there is more force on the remaining steel. (psi x area = force). The 40 is also longer...and thus more force.

- The unsupported case web is larger thus creating a longer "cantilever beam" that the brass must provide in order to not burst.

So, when you bore out a barrel to go from 9 to 40, like virtually EVERY firearm on the market was engineered to do, you have three major engineering factors working against you to create much more stress in the steel.
                            Last edited by Arrowthreat; 02-20-2020, 12:02 PM.

Comment

I don't take this guy seriously, but this video is hilarious.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uARnGHSr8xM"]40 Caliber Sucks (Original Video 2012) - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I don't know, maybe it's my area & still see the 40 up top with the 9 in popularity...Local PD & BP still has it as their sidearm (not sure of county) & although I'm not high volume I still see them come through equally.

The 40 got so popular & became the leading LE round for such a long period of time unlike the FBI's 10 causing millions of pistols to be produced, so I just don't see it falling off the screen like the 10 which was much more fleeting. I may be wrong as I was unaware it was even fading, but lots of weapons out there that still need to eat lead??

Comment

Working...
                                X