No announcement yet.

Help Me Pick My Next Hunting Caliber!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.300 Weatherby mag Mark V accumark. IMO, the most accurate rifle out of the box you can buy. Extremely effective out to 500+ yards, my favorite load is the 180 grain nosler accubond

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
      Read dale moser’s comments in another thread. It was spot on
      Mosers comment was spot on with "somewhat" similar calibers in a short action. If you can push **** near 100 extra grains of projectile at similar velocities then that doesnt have a single thing to do with what hes saying

Comment

Originally posted by Stetsonoverton View Post
        If you don’t have a 257 weatherby that’s what I would get
        This^

Comment

Find a rifle you like, that you think is capable, buy it, shoot it, enjoy it.

Comment

.270 or .270 WSM.

Comment

since you already have a Creedmoor, I’d look at something a little bigger....so I’m gonna a agree with the others and say 280ai. Other choices I would consider would be 270, 7rm, or 30-06. But honestly the 280ai would be hard to beat for what you are looking to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
                Which is packing most kick. 28 nosler, 300 WM, of 300 PRC?
                Would be. Toss up between the Nosler and PRC and totally depends on the gun.

I’m not saying they aren’t manageable. They certainly are. But you’ll certainly know you’re shooting a magnum. I’m very partial to the 300 win. PRC blows its doors off though. That thing is a rocket.

Comment

There is a reason 30-06 been around as long as it has. Wide selection of ammo anywhere. The elk killed in my avatar was with that round and I could post 100s of pictures of pigs and deer killed with 30-06. Some outfitters want 30 cal minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by Paycheck View Post
                    There is a reason 30-06 been around as long as it has. Wide selection of ammo anywhere. The elk killed in my avatar was with that round and I could post 100s of pictures of pigs and deer killed with 30-06. Some outfitters want 30 cal minimum.
                    30-06 set many long range records back in its day. Guy named Farr set a record of 71 consecutive bullseyes at 1000 yards at Camp Perry in 1921. His record still stands for that old classification. He used military ammo and a borrowed 1903 rifle. The Farr Trophy at Camp Perry.

Comment

What you decide!? Lol

Comment

Comment

Narrowed it down to

.280 AI
                          .300 WSM
                          7 mm mag

Comment

Everyone NEEDS a 30-06 in their safe!

Plenty of great options, but hard to beat the '06 for what you describe.

Comment

Originally posted by boyles77 View Post
                              Narrowed it down to

.280 AI
                              .300 WSM
                              7 mm mag
                              Go 280 AI out of those choices. Great gun without much kick. Mine shoots 140 Accubonds like a champ. It’s a killer for sure.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X