20 inch barreled rifles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20 inch barreled rifles

What caliber do you have chambered in a rifle with a 20 inch barrel and what kind of ballistics/performance are you seeing? I’m trying to decide between a couple calibers for my next build. Wanting something for 500 yards and under on deer sized game. Been reading forums and ballistics until I’m cross eyed. Wanting to here from you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My APR build from last year was a 20" 7mm-08. I haven't chronoed it yet, but it has performed perfectly on a few deer for me and my brother.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
      My APR build from last year was a 20" 7mm-08. I haven't chronoed it yet, but it has performed perfectly on a few deer for me and my brother.

I’ve been leaning towards the 7mm-08. It’s probably one of the greatest whitetail rounds ever developed.

Comment

Last year I had APR build me a 20" 308 win. I love it. From all the research I did and talking to a ton of very experienced people the consensus I got was the 2 best calibers for short barrel for a deer rifle are 308 and 7-08.

Comment

I've had a couple short barrel .308"s. Been very pleased with their performance. I currently have a Bergara Ridge sp 18" threaded. Handy little gun.

Comment

I've got a 700P LTR in .223 with a 20" fluted barrel. Shoots one jagged hole with 69 grain Sierra HPBT.
            Looking to sell or trade too...

Comment

243 with 14 twist shooting berger 69 vld 20 inch . Shot multiple deer at 300 + yards. And 1 aoudad @ 417 all drt.

Comment

Im running a 243 with 20" barrel and love it. Shooting Hornady Superformance 75gr Vmax and its a solid truck gun. Shot multiple coyotes from 300+ yards and popped several pigs.

Comment

Go with a 30-30 and a shorter barrel. It’ll be easier to get out the window...

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                    I also had a 20" 7-08 built in last years APR build and has worked great on deer and hogs. 314 yards is my furthest shot on a pig so far.

Comment

.243 Shilen 20inch shooting 87gr VLD's shot a deer at 340 she went 15 yrds

Comment

20inch 7-08 is my vote. Especially if you hand load.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by 2Lazy2P View Post
                          Go with a 30-30 and a shorter barrel. It’ll be easier to get out the window...

Probably should leave it open sights too huh? [emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

hard not to like the 7mm08, especially in shorter lighter rifles

Comment

If I am *actually* shooting 500 yds (rather than a "forum post" 500 yds), I want a 300WM or at least a hot 7mm. Personally I wouldn't shoot an animal with a 6.5 caliber bullet at that real life range, regardless of barrel length. And for a 300WM or hot 7mm, I prefer a 26" barrel.

Now, if you want a 20" "deer hunting rifle", you can't really go wrong. Anything from .243 to 7-08, and everything in between, will perform great at 20".

Comment

Working...
                              X