Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

The 2020 Thermal & Night Vision Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I had one of the most enjoyable and memorable hunts of my life tonight. We didn’t put up massive numbers, but it was dang sure fun. I ended up with 7 hogs and a coyote for myself. Not sure where we ended up as a group.

I mentioned a few weeks back that we had coyotes eating on hogs as we were still killing. Well tonight I got proof. We had a wounded hog that kept screaming like crazy, so we finally turned back on him to finish it off. That’s when we discovered the coyote trying to take him down as we were still shooting other hogs. At that point we quit shooting and just decided to watch mature take it’s course. We typically don’t shoot coyotes on this property at all, and I didn’t want to risk the coyote. My buddy, the landowner, told me to send it if I thought I could drop the hog. 214 yds is still a chip shot with the 22 Creed and XG, so I flattened the poor hog and tried to end its suffering. At that point my buddy told me to drop the coyote that was still fighting the newly deceased(ish) hog. Well I dropped the coyote too. It’s all on video, and I’ll try and get it uploaded tomorrow.

After that I decided I was done for the night. I hung back at the Can Am with another buddy, while send another buddy with my rifle traipsing across a field after a sounder. I kept the Helion to scan with, but other than a pistol I was unarmed. Well when the shooting broke out 700-800 yds away I kept watch through the scanner. I noticed the hogs running straight at me and my buddy, who had a 11.5” 556 SBR with red dot and Surefire Dual Fuel on it. The hogs literally ran right into our lap, and I grabbed the rifle and downed 4 more with nothing more than a flashlight and 556 green tip lol
    Last edited by TX03RUBI; 01-23-2021, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
      Well I had one of the most enjoyable and memorable hunts of my life tonight. We didn’t put up massive numbers, but it was dang sure fun. I ended up with 7 hogs and a coyote for myself. Not sure where we ended up as a group.

I mentioned a few weeks back that we had coyotes eating on hogs as we were still killing. Well tonight I got proof. We had a wounded hog that kept screaming like crazy, so we finally turned back on him to finish it off. That’s when we discovered the coyote trying to take him down as we were still shooting other hogs. At that point we quit shooting and just decided to watch mature take it’s course. We typically don’t shoot coyotes on this property at all, and I didn’t want to risk the coyote. My buddy, the landowner, told me to send it if I thought I could drop the hog. 214 yds is still a chip shot with the 22 Creed and XG, so I flattened the poor hog and tried to end its suffering. At that point my buddy told me to drop the coyote that was still fighting the newly deceased(ish) hog. Well I dropped the coyote too. It’s all on video, and I’ll try and get it uploaded tomorrow.

After that I decided I was done for the night. I hung back at the Can Am with another buddy, while send another buddy with my rifle traipsing across a field after a sounder. I kept the Helion to scan with, but other than a pistol I was unarmed. Well when the shooting broke out 700-800 yds away I kept watch through the scanner. I noticed the hogs running straight at me and my buddy, who had a 11.5” 556 SBR with red dot and Surefire Dual Fuel on it. The hogs literally ran right into our lap, and I grabbed the rifle and downed 4 more with nothing more than a flashlight and 556 green tip lol
      Definitely want to see that video. Why not kill coyotes normally?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Definitely beats getting home at the same time after not having shot a single thing (my evening).

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
          Definitely want to see that video. Why not kill coyotes normally?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
          My buddy is a big contest hunter, and does very well in them typically. He saves his coyotes for contests unless they become a problem. I’ll see if I can get it uploaded to YouTube shortly.

Comment

I’m not sure how safe the language is. I can’t really hear it in my current environment, but it’s quite possibly NSFW. I’ve got a bit better video through my Thermion, but I won’t be able to download it until later. This was through a Trijicon MK3 60mm with very high humidity and some fog.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
              Ugh--I got seasick watching that-- But am looking forward to next week as winds are most favorable for my favorite spots.
              A few people have had the same comment and it is valid. During this hunt I was acually sitting on a lawn chair on top of my suburban and each group came up behind me. I was trying to move as little as possible and not stand straight up which resulted in me not getting a full 180 degree turn around which led to me trying to shoot freehands and then on sticks but my body was still all twisted around. Hindsight I should have just spun around and got set up more stable but I was affraid of scaring them off. I am not sure how they didnt see the truck or me fumbling around up there because I had no cover to my backside, only in front of me.

Comment

For those that say the Texas Heart Shot isn’t an effective means of dropping large hogs haha

This is sarcasm by the way. I know the “heart shot” isn’t a very good way of guaranteeing a timely death.
                Last edited by TX03RUBI; 01-24-2021, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Here’s Trophy8 trying to play follow up after my buddy dropped this decent boar with my rifle. Trophy8 was kinda late to the party haha

This is the first sounder we got on Friday night. The small pig that ran off to the right in the video is the one the coyote got.

Also here’s the shooters perspective of the hog and coyote combo kill.

Last edited by TX03RUBI; 01-24-2021, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Lots of bad words said in this video. I am not ashamed to show my hunts where there was plenty of user error by the shooter.

Comment

Man thermal looked terrible this past weekend with the clouds. humidity, mist

Ended up killed 3 from a group mixed in with cows. WHY I HATE COWS!

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post

It really did look like dog crap. We had a couple stalks that failed to produce with the light switching winds, and a couple we didn’t even attempt. I downed 7 Friday night, and 4 Saturday on one stalk. I figured we ended up with low to mid twenties for the two nights total, but we weren’t very serious and had mostly d*cking off on mind. Which we were very successful. Lol

Comment

Love all of the videos posted here even if I don't comment on every one.

I had one night at the farm this weekend with my Wraith and conditions couldn't have been worse. Misty/foggy so I only went out for a bit, then checked again before going to bed and then again early morning. Fog lifted sometime in the afternoon. Looks like the SNH 66LRH is going to be plenty for the 2X Wraith. Can't wait to replace my thermals with new ones.

I’m not sure how safe the language is. I can’t really hear it in my current environment, but it’s quite possibly NSFW. I’ve got a bit better video through my Thermion, but I won’t be able to download it until later. This was through a Trijicon MK3 60mm with very high humidity and some fog.

https://youtu.be/XdPPDVUod6g
                          For those that say the Texas Heart Shot isn’t an effective means of dropping large hogs haha

This is sarcasm by the way. I know the “heart shot” isn’t a very good way of guaranteeing a timely death.
                          Here’s Trophy8 trying to play follow up after my buddy dropped this decent boar with my rifle. Trophy8 was kinda late to the party haha

This is the first sounder we got on Friday night. The small pig that ran off to the right in the video is the one the coyote got.

Also here’s the shooters perspective of the hog and coyote combo kill.

https://youtu.be/HPrkVxdFms8
                          Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                          Lots of bad words said in this video. I am not ashamed to show my hunts where there was plenty of user error by the shooter.

https://youtu.be/Ba0j-BjHdNI

It really did look like dog crap. We had a couple stalks that failed to produce with the light switching winds, and a couple we didn’t even attempt. I downed 7 Friday night, and 4 Saturday on one stalk. I figured we ended up with low to mid twenties for the two nights total, but we weren’t very serious and had mostly d*cking off on mind. Which we were very successful. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Lip View Post
                            Love all of the videos posted here even if I don't comment on every one.

I had one night at the farm this weekend with my Wraith and conditions couldn't have been worse. Misty/foggy so I only went out for a bit, then checked again before going to bed and then again early morning. Fog lifted sometime in the afternoon. Looks like the SNH 66LRH is going to be plenty for the 2X Wraith. Can't wait to replace my thermals with new ones.
                            Just wait until you replace that Wraith with a good thermal. you won't ever go back to cheap NV

Comment

Just wait until you replace that Wraith with a good thermal. you won't ever go back to cheap NV

I had a Pulsar Core RXQ30V and Pulsar Trail XQ38. Sold them to buy newer models and bought the Wraith so I’d have something to hunt with until the new ones come in. I’m going with an AGM Rattler TS35 to replace the Core and a Thermion XQ38 to replace the Trail. Wraith may end up being a house unit for her to check out what’s at the house feeder when I’m hunting with the Thermals.

Comment

Originally posted by Lip View Post
                                I had a Pulsar Core RXQ30V and Pulsar Trail XQ38. Sold them to buy newer models and bought the Wraith so I’d have something to hunt with until the new ones come in. I’m going with an AGM Rattler TS35 to replace the Core and a Thermion XQ38 to replace the Trail. Wraith may end up being a house unit for her to check out what’s at the house feeder when I’m hunting with the Thermals.

Perfect

I want to see the Thermion XP and the new XG

Comment

Working...
                                X