No announcement yet.

The 2020 Thermal & Night Vision Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did a bad thing today...bought a Pulsar Thermion XP50 at the beginning of the year and have moved it between my 338 Federal/6.5 Grendel/6.5 Creedmoor. Have been stunned with its performance although the shorter eye relief wasn't friendly with the 338 Fed recoil so it spends most of its time on the 6.5's. Since I went down the thermal scope route I inevitably found myself needing a thermal monocular for scanning as sticking the rifle in and out of blinds/removing from tripod got to be a pain. I also wrestled with having a second thermal dedicated to my Grendel for friends to come along or as a secondary backup. My budget wouldn't allow for both so I went with the best compromise.

I found a demo model Thermion XG50 which will now be my dedicated rig on my 6.5 Creedmoor. My XP50 is going in an American Defense QR mount and will be used as a monocular/scanner most of the time...and when I need a second gun it can be attached to the Grendel. While it's not the perfect solution it offered the best of both options and allows me to upgrade my dedicated thermal on my rifle.

Now I just need to sell my unopened Pulsar Digex 455 and intercept the Thermion delivery without the wife noticing.

Comment

Originally posted by Closetohome View Post
      I did a bad thing today...bought a Pulsar Thermion XP50 at the beginning of the year and have moved it between my 338 Federal/6.5 Grendel/6.5 Creedmoor. Have been stunned with its performance although the shorter eye relief wasn't friendly with the 338 Fed recoil so it spends most of its time on the 6.5's. Since I went down the thermal scope route I inevitably found myself needing a thermal monocular for scanning as sticking the rifle in and out of blinds/removing from tripod got to be a pain. I also wrestled with having a second thermal dedicated to my Grendel for friends to come along or as a secondary backup. My budget wouldn't allow for both so I went with the best compromise.

I found a demo model Thermion XG50 which will now be my dedicated rig on my 6.5 Creedmoor. My XP50 is going in an American Defense QR mount and will be used as a monocular/scanner most of the time...and when I need a second gun it can be attached to the Grendel. While it's not the perfect solution it offered the best of both options and allows me to upgrade my dedicated thermal on my rifle.

Now I just need to sell my unopened Pulsar Digex 455 and intercept the Thermion delivery without the wife noticing.
      You’re going to really enjoy that XG50. I poked a couple bars earlier this week with my XG on a 22 Creed. One was at 275-280, and the other was at 220ish. The XG made them chip shots compared to my XP50LRF and XP38 I’ve had.

Comment

Originally posted by Closetohome View Post

I'm in the same boat, have an XP50, need a scanner. I think I'm going to order a Hogster for a scanner, and use it for a backup/buddy scope. I don't have the budget for an XG50 right now.

Comment

What helmet mounted night vision should I buy? Need it for walking into setups!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
            Sorry, I'm confused, did you look through multiple scopes or just one? You said the Pulsar was good but then said something else wasn't good. I know you said you don't know what model but without that info we can't really comment on what you were looking at. If you can find out the exact model it would be helpful.
            Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
            I looked through a Pulsar Thermal the other night, and, though the sensor was good, one of the higher resolution ones, the optics were not with poor edge clarity and a rounded field. Now, I don't know what model it was, but the guy bought it within the last year.
            I've noticed that on my XQ50. It's the glass on the rear of the scope that has distortion if you aren't centered on the scope.

Comment

So been looking into these for giggles for a more than likely purchase next year. Between these 2 which would yall recommend?

Pulsar RXQ30V
              Bering Hogster R 1.4x5.6

I really am going to have a hard time justifying the Hogster at $2500 after tax. So really leaning towards the pulsar unit. But if it is that much better than the pulsar unit I can justify the extra $400. This would be used primarily as a night calling back up rig for coyotes and 2-3 times a year would get taken up by Childress area and go ham on pigs on wheat fields. I have been behind the pulsar trail xq50 and the pulsar thermion xp50. So I have experience with thermals and am aware of how the run work etc... and fully aware these sub 2500 units will not be on that level. But I have access to the thermion as a loaner from a buddy when I go chase hogs to use as the long range spotter in the big fields. I just want another thermal to use as a shooting optic once we get close to the sounder. And to be used as a spotter for dogs on stand less than 500 yds in, with most shots going to be sub 200 yds on coyotes and pigs.

So really guess my question is of these 2 optics.
              Which has better
              Image quality?
              Detection range, How far is it for both?
              ID Range, how far is it for both on a pig sized object?
              Don't care about really any of the internal recording or any of that even though it is a nice to have option.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                So been looking into these for giggles for a more than likely purchase next year. Between these 2 which would yall recommend?

Pulsar RXQ30V
                Bering Hogster R 1.4x5.6

I really am going to have a hard time justifying the Hogster at $2500 after tax. So really leaning towards the pulsar unit. But if it is that much better than the pulsar unit I can justify the extra $400. This would be used primarily as a night calling back up rig for coyotes and 2-3 times a year would get taken up by Childress area and go ham on pigs on wheat fields. I have been behind the pulsar trail xq50 and the pulsar thermion xp50. So I have experience with thermals and am aware of how the run work etc... and fully aware these sub 2500 units will not be on that level. But I have access to the thermion as a loaner from a buddy when I go chase hogs to use as the long range spotter in the big fields. I just want another thermal to use as a shooting optic once we get close to the sounder. And to be used as a spotter for dogs on stand less than 500 yds in, with most shots going to be sub 200 yds on coyotes and pigs.

So really guess my question is of these 2 optics.
                Which has better
                Image quality?
                Detection range, How far is it for both?
                ID Range, how far is it for both on a pig sized object?
                Don't care about really any of the internal recording or any of that even though it is a nice to have option.
                I will say this after hunting with thermal for 3.5 years and seeing ALOT of buddies get into it.

BUY ONCE CRY ONCE...Buy what you want the first time. Or else you will be selling again to upgrade. You get what you pay for with thermals.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                  I will say this after hunting with thermal for 3.5 years and seeing ALOT of buddies get into it.

BUY ONCE CRY ONCE...Buy what you want the first time. Or else you will be selling again to upgrade. You get what you pay for with thermals.
                  This is fair but I can't justify dropping 5k at the moment on a thermal. I can justify 2500 ish. I would rather get into it and start killing stuff for the next 2-3 years then sell this one or keep it as a loaner and upgrade to a really really nice one. For 2-3 uses a year on pigs and maybe 10-15 nights a year calling coyotes I can't justify that kinda money. Especially when I have access to the 5k unit already.

Either one of these thermal units will absolutely smoke my current method of spots lights and cheap $400 dollar night vision. So anything at this point would be an upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by GregO View Post
                    I'm in the same boat, have an XP50, need a scanner. I think I'm going to order a Hogster for a scanner, and use it for a backup/buddy scope. I don't have the budget for an XG50 right now.
                    I have had my XQ50 Thermion for about 6 months now. Have shot 14 pigs and 15 coyotes with it so far and really like it. Pretty much perfect for my needs as a primary shooting optic. Except, I need a scanner while hunting alone, stalking, and as second thermal for backup for my kids (2 of which are adults, lol) to shoot with.

I looked at a lot of options and studied for months before I ordered. Lots of options out there. I ended up ordering a Hogster R 35 and it should be here tomorrow.

Bottom line for me was this. None of the below $1500 scanners really seemed to offer what I was looking for as far as field of view. Once you get to $2k+ you are in the range of buying a good dual purpose scanner/backup optic. RXQ30 and Hogster 25 did not really put me in the place I wanted to be as far as being capable on 200-250 yard coyotes. Super Hogster is really nice, but FOV on it is 42'@100 yards, not much different than my XQ50 at 39'. Super Hogster is 2.9x vs my XQ at 3.5x, once again not much different.

Hogster 35 R though seemed to be the perfect blend for me. 2x base mag and a 56' FOV at 100 yards make it pretty dang good as a scanner. Plus it is very light and compact. I had a friend with one and I got to use it quite a bit one night as a scanner and it worked real well for that. I was impressed with the image at native magnification. Also after using his that night and watching tons of coyote videos with the R 35, it seems to be very capable of 200-250 yard coyotes. Basically it ticks all the boxes I need as a dual purpose unit.

Yesterday I ordered a Anker battery and cable for it off Amazon for $28 to use as an external battery. That battery is a little smaller than some people run but it should mount up in a 30 mm light mount making attachment easy, and give me as much run time as my old butt can handle. I'm too old for this all-nighter stuff anymore.

I am ready to get it all here and mounted up, and see how it works.

Comment

This is fair but I can't justify dropping 5k at the moment on a thermal. I can justify 2500 ish. I would rather get into it and start killing stuff for the next 2-3 years then sell this one or keep it as a loaner and upgrade to a really really nice one. For 2-3 uses a year on pigs and maybe 10-15 nights a year calling coyotes I can't justify that kinda money. Especially when I have access to the 5k unit already.

Either one of these thermal units will absolutely smoke my current method of spots lights and cheap $400 dollar night vision. So anything at this point would be an upgrade.
                      Watch the latestet episode on The Late Night Vision Show. It will pretty well answer your questions about which is best and why.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP3F...ature=youtu.be

Comment

If anyone is looking for a used thermal:

Comment

IMO, save another $200 and get the Hogster R 35. It is a big step up from the other two for not very much more money. At 200 on coyotes you will see a big difference over the other two you are looking at. I totally understand budget concerns. My first thermal got delayed for about a year because I figured out what I had saved was just not going to really do what I wanted it to, and knew long term I would be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Lip View Post
                            Watch the latestet episode on The Late Night Vision Show. It will pretty well answer your questions about which is best and why.
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP3F...ature=youtu.be
                            Thanks for the suggestion but I am going to have a hard time sitting and watching a 45 minute video.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                              IMO, save another $200 and get the Hogster R 35. It is a big step up from the other two for not very much more money. At 200 on coyotes you will see a big difference over the other two you are looking at. I totally understand budget concerns. My first thermal got delayed for about a year because I figured out what I had saved was just not going to really do what I wanted it to, and knew long term I would be disappointed.
                              If there is a drastic step up I am willing to go up a little more but I for sure can't justify the really nice 4K plus units for the amount of use it will see.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion but I am going to have a hard time sitting and watching a 45 minute video.
                                Bottom line, if you can afford the hogster, it's worth the extra $

Comment

Working...
                                X