No announcement yet.

The 2020 Thermal & Night Vision Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally got out with my Thermion XQ50 on Friday night. After a really hot hard day I didn't feel like stalking so I truck hunted around my BIL's 2800 acre ranch. Didn't see any pigs, and too many deer with fawns in the peanut fields to pick out the coyotes. Instead I went on a raccoon rampage.
    They had been wreaking havoc in his hay barn and he wanted me to thin them out. Seemed like everywhere I went there was another mama with 3-4 pups. Killed somewhere around 12-14 coons just messing around. Got one good video but haven't figured out that whole edit/upload thing yet.

Comment

OK, going to try and see if I can post up a video. Mama raccoon and 3 pups on top of the hay, a couple more plus a porcupine off down the fence row. The ones on top of the hay kept popping up like gophers from between the bales.

Trying to figure out how to embed and not link. How do you do that?
      Last edited by Jethro; 07-17-2020, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Awesome vid. I need one of those scopes. You are shooting suppressed aren’t you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Yes that was suppressed with my 6.5 Grendel, shooting a 95 VMAX. The thermal was an XQ50 Thermion, and temps were still 90+ degrees while I was shooting. Not very good conditions.
          Last edited by Jethro; 07-17-2020, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Using my Pulsar XQ38, I just shot a porcupine at 75 yards then climbed down from the stand.
            I was able to stalk to 30 yards to shoot a Racoon under left feeder leg, then a second porcupine escaping out the back (2nd shot) & another racoon (3rd shot) running out to the left

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
              Using my Pulsar XQ38, I just shot a porcupine at 75 yards then climbed down from the stand.
              I was able to stalk to 30 yards to shoot a Racoon under left feeder leg, then a second porcupine escaping out the back (2nd shot) & another racoon (3rd shot) running out to the left

Looking at your video I would never have guessed those were raccoons and porcupine

Comment

This ranch has an excess or porcupines, saw 2 more on the way to the blind this morning.
                Landowner appreciates a few less

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
                  For anyone looking for an affordable and basic thermal handheld to use with your digital NV scope, or for deer hunting, finding dead animals etc., the AGM Asp Micro TM160 for $499 is a great option. Check out our full review below. Hans will have a review with footage from the field soon.

Description The Asp-Micro TM160 is a tiny handheld thermal monocular that is equipped with a 160×120 thermal sensor and a 720×540 LCOS display. This palm sized monocular is by far the best thermal optic we've ever seen in this price range. While it doesn't replace the more expensive, higher resolution monoculars, it do

Ep. 111 | AGM Asp-Micro TM160 *REVIEW* - YouTube
                  I just ordered one from you Saturday morning. Wanted it to locate pigs coming in to set ups and finding down pigs at night. This is my first thermal. Hopefully I will be getting a thermal scope for my big bore airgun soon.

Comment

What software do you guys use to edit video from your thermal? Nothing fancy, just need to trim some videos.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                      What software do you guys use to edit video from your thermal? Nothing fancy, just need to trim some videos.

For pulsar I’m using the VLC app to put sound back onto the video then apple movie maker too trim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                        OK, going to try and see if I can post up a video. Mama raccoon and 3 pups on top of the hay, a couple more plus a porcupine off down the fence row. The ones on top of the hay kept popping up like gophers from between the bales.

Trying to figure out how to embed and not link. How do you do that?
                        I have always had trouble embeding videos, so this is what I do. Copy the link from the "share" button on your video, paste it in the thread. then copy it again and remove the "s" from HTTPS. Then copy the the URL from the URL bar at the top of browser. Copy again and remove the "s". You now have 4 links to your video. post the thread, go in and see which one(s) worked, edit your post and remove all but one working link. Sometimes only one will work, sometimes 2 or 3, there is no rhyme or reason.

Why no audio on your video? The sound of gunshots adds to the excitement.
                        Excellent video!

Comment

GregO- No gunshot sounds because I had the mic turned off. I have it turned on now. Got a good hog shooting video from Saturday night, but I need to trim it down some and upload it.

Russ81- Are you doing the editing on your phone? I am downloading mine to the computer and doing it from there. Streamvision is too slow.

Comment

I went out late Saturday night with the intention of shooting some more coons for my BIL. Instead of coons though I ran into a big sounder of hogs.

I had brought my 14.5", 556 Adams piston gun to have something cheap to shoot. Normally it is an ultra-reliable gun. I guess I found the limit on just how dry and dirty I can let it get though. About the end of the first mag it decided it was going quit cycling and go into single shot mode. First time it has ever done that. The first batch of pigs I did decent on, but the second batch I swung onto I couldn't get the distance and kept shooting high. Third batch is when my gun quit cycling. I was shooting cheap Hornady 62 grn BTHP. Shoots great in my gun, works decent on game. Not as good as the 65 SGK I normally shoot though. Of course if I had known what I was going to run into I would have brought my Grendel instead.

I was out on a split irrigated circle. The pigs start out on the peanuts, some ran over into the cotton. I was right off the road that splits the two halves of the circle.

I didn't trim the video. You guys can see the whole thing, warts and all.

Comment

Fun video with all the shooting

Comment

Awesome video Jethro. Target rich environment!

Comment

Working...
                                X