No announcement yet.

277 Fury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bringing this back up, Sig has been shipping some rifles and I have one on hold. I can't decide on a .277 Fury or 6.5CM and need some opinions. I plan to use it for hunting, so price per round isn't that important. I'm impressed with velocity & bullet weight. I'm not that worried about barrel life because I don't bench shoot much. You can swap calibers easily (supposedly) if something doesn't work out with ammo or availability. It's something new and risky, but also wouldn't mind owning a first edition if it takes off and becomes popular. On the flip side, I can always get a 6.5 and re-chamber to a.277 barrel down the line.

Thoughts?

Comment

They are shipping a few in .308 to Cabelas in black finish. Full retail dealers will have theirs in 30-60 days.

Don't hold your breath on the .277 Fury unless you can hold it for.... well.....maybe....FOREVER.

Robert , can you guys build a similar clone to the Cross? Lightweight folding chassis? I'm interested

Comment

meh-- maybe for someone but that someone ain't me.

Comment

I still fail to see how this is some novel 'lightweight' concept when it's a 6.5-7lb bare rifle and you're stuck with a 16" or 18" barrel.

Plenty of other options for a rifle in that weight with better cartridge choices.

For a fold up, suppressed, truck gun this fits the bill but there are plenty of other options in that arena that aren't proprietary.

For a backcountry, lightweight rig this DOESN'T get the nod.

Comment

80,000 psi round. That's kind of interesting. I might have to get one when they become more popular. 80,000 psi, short action rounds could easily make long action, non magnum rounds obsolete. They said it's a 6.8X51, so the same length as a 308. With a 22" or 24" barrel, that thing might be very interesting.

In one video I watched, they said it was shooting 135 gr. bullets to 3000 fps with only a 16" barrel. Then in another video, they said 140 gr. bullet to 3000 psi, out of a 16" barrel. It would be nice, if the could all get the same info or keep their info straight. Either way 135 gr. or 140 gr. out of a 16" barrel at 3000 fps, is impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Leaverrite View Post
              Bringing this back up, Sig has been shipping some rifles and I have one on hold. I can't decide on a .277 Fury or 6.5CM and need some opinions. I plan to use it for hunting, so price per round isn't that important. I'm impressed with velocity & bullet weight. I'm not that worried about barrel life because I don't bench shoot much. You can swap calibers easily (supposedly) if something doesn't work out with ammo or availability. It's something new and risky, but also wouldn't mind owning a first edition if it takes off and becomes popular. On the flip side, I can always get a 6.5 and re-chamber to a.277 barrel down the line.

Thoughts?
              So what did you choose? 6.5CM or 277 Fury? I’m in a similar situation, I’d like a gun that would be enough for elk and like the Cross platform. Don’t really want a 308

Comment

Originally posted by UltraMax View Post
                I totally agree with you. Problem is, companies feel as though they have to re-invent the wheel developing cartridges like this.
                BUT some companies like Hornady actually get it right. The creeds and PRCs were done right. When you start building stuff with a stupid amount of chamber pressure and having to use a partially metal case, well, it’s just dumb. Not to mention less rounds in your magazines, less rounds in your vest, AND more weight! It blows my mind how the military/govt wastes money. It’s ridiculous really. Does the 5.56 need to be replaced? Probably. But can we at least use more than two brain cells in that process???

Comment

The CM and PRC is great for people that want a factory rifle and shoot factory ammo. Otherwise they are just meh.

And you couldn’t find the ammo or brass during the plandemic because everybody had to hop on the wagon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                  X