The 2020 TBH/APR Special Planning Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
    Barrett build a more consistent shooter thats 5.2 lbs, and can be had for $1500.
    I do not think much of either one honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
      I do not think much of either one honestly.
      I’ve thought very poorly of both companies for a long time. The Barrett has impressed me surprisingly.

Comment

Tagged, long range heavy hitter my vote .338 snipetac👍👍👍

Comment

Current Stats:

Lightweight (Similar to last years build)- 40

PRS/ T-Hawk Build- 4

Heavy Hitter Build- 6

Adjustable Comb- 7

Barreled Action Only- 3

Build Using an Existing 700 Action- 1

My rough math only, don't shoot the messenger.

Comment

I’ll be on the fence pending components for a lightweight build but do think that if there is limited slots there needs to a member requirement and not someone whose first post was in this thread lol! But as stated earlier, it’s Robert’s business to run as he see fit.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Put me down as a -1 in the ultralight category. The cost is prohibitive and the finicky nature of the components and load tuning makes this a pass. It should also be a pass for anyone not reloading. If anything bc I don’t wanna see a 2020 thread filled with “my APR gun won’t shoot”.

I’d really love to see a CLASSIC hunting rifle with a modern twist of all the finer touches and tricks that APR has up their sleeves. Maybe a base model “BDL” and then the fancy version as the “CDL”. Blued or stainless cerakote or maybe case hardening.

Stock: big run of McMillan McWoody and McWalnut and some of the edge fill brown w/ black speck. Use the APR, classic and maybe HTG styles. Stick to ADL or BDL inlet, no DBM, option for a RED butt pad.

Action: Defiance LA/SA with that sexy “blued” cerakote or a fancy version with case hardening. Fluting or jewelling options.

Barrel: APR contour so it can be threaded and blended protector w/ a radial or gill brake OR A lighter 2b contour for non-threaded. . Modern twist rates to update that “classic” hunting rifle. Maybe the upgrade version runs a Proof Sendero Lite or a Bartlein/Kreiger/etc.

Choice of fluting.

Other: need thoughts on a rail offering or quality two piece rings like the Hawkins hybrids. Maybe an option for Wyatt’s boxes for the long cartridges.

Comment

Originally posted by duckhunter175 View Post
                Put me down as a -1 in the ultralight category. The cost is prohibitive and the finicky nature of the components and load tuning makes this a pass. It should also be a pass for anyone not reloading. If anything bc I don’t wanna see a 2020 thread filled with “my APR gun won’t shoot”.

I’d really love to see a CLASSIC hunting rifle with a modern twist of all the finer touches and tricks that APR has up their sleeves. Maybe a base model “BDL” and then the fancy version as the “CDL”. Blued or stainless cerakote or maybe case hardening.

Stock: big run of McMillan McWoody and McWalnut and some of the edge fill brown w/ black speck. Use the APR, classic and maybe HTG styles. Stick to ADL or BDL inlet, no DBM, option for a RED butt pad.

Action: Defiance LA/SA with that sexy “blued” cerakote or a fancy version with case hardening. Fluting or jewelling options.

Barrel: APR contour so it can be threaded and blended protector w/ a radial or gill brake OR A lighter 2b contour for non-threaded. . Modern twist rates to update that “classic” hunting rifle. Maybe the upgrade version runs a Proof Sendero Lite or a Bartlein/Kreiger/etc.

Choice of fluting.

Other: need thoughts on a rail offering or quality two piece rings like the Hawkins hybrids. Maybe an option for Wyatt’s boxes for the long cartridges.
                I like this idea. Something like our classic hunter.
                Nothing represents a classic better than highly figured wood and deep polished bluing. But nothing holds up to real world punishment better than good synthetics, modern ceramic coatings and stainless steel.  The APR Classic Hunter captures all of these elements in a modern precision hunting rifle package while still gi

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                  https://aprifles.com/products/apr-classic-hunter
                  I like the look. Can that get to 6.5lb in a long action?

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                    https://aprifles.com/products/apr-classic-hunter
                    Can you do the case hardened action with the defiance? I like the idea of a 20in 257 Bob in that rifle.
                    Last edited by bloodtrail18; 12-03-2019, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Since we’re throwing out ideas, any chance of a switchlug option? [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I may have to change my vote to Classic Hunter. Possibly sub out the barrel for a 20in Proof Sendero Light in 257Bob or a Creedmoor. This would make the perfect whitetail rifle.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrail18 View Post
                          I may have to change my vote to Classic Hunter. Possibly sub out the barrel for a 20in Proof Sendero Light in 257Bob or a Creedmoor. This would make the perfect whitetail rifle.
                          I really like this idea! But leave out the carbon barrel this go round. I purchased a Bergara premier in 308 that’s right at 6.5lbs with 22” barrel and love that rifle. Now I want something in a 6.5cm or switchlug sa option.

Comment

Originally posted by Txarrowhunter View Post
                            I really like this idea! But leave out the carbon barrel this go round. I purchased a Bergara premier in 308 that’s right at 6.5lbs with 22” barrel and love that rifle. Now I want something in a 6.5cm or switchlug sa option.
                            You're right, "Classic" and carbon barrel don't really go together. The rifle in my last post has a 24 in barrel. I think a 20 incher in that configuration would fit the bill.

Comment

I like the sound of the classic(ish) rifles

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrail18 View Post

Seems like you and I have some similar taste after all! I like this

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Working...
                                X