The 2020 TBH/APR Special Planning Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
    Was kind of hoping option 1 would gain some traction. It opened up the door to the 338 Lapua class stuff. Can still do the 30/28 on this platform if someone wants it.
    I was thinking of going with that in #2 :eek. am I stupid or is this not doable with the action/barrels your thinking? Was thinking long range hunting hammer. 338 lapua would put the smack down on some stuff! If not it will make things ALOT cheaper for me haha was thinking if it was close to last years it would handle it but I'm no expert.
    Last edited by OSU Fisher; 12-12-2019, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Alright.... since the battle seems to be between categories 2 & 3, I thought I'd start exploring some options in category 2 (cat 3 is pretty self explanatory). For clarification, category 2 is a lighter weight long range hunter.....which is also the category we did last year. Category 3 is a classic hunter with a standard weight classic look,or a modern carbon fiber version, or maybe both.

First, let me say this is not set as the final concept, just MY idea of what works given the parameters. Your feedback is requested for those of you that voted option #2. We had a lot of requests for a light weight rig and we had a lot of requests for an adjustable comb. Unfortunately those 2 things don't really go together. Adjustable hardware ends up adding around a pound to most stocks. Getting sub 7 lbs with adjustables is only happening by sacrificing in other areas.

This concept uses a stock with a higher cheek-piece to accommodate larger optics without adding the weight of adjustable hardware - hopefully addressing both requests. Coming in at 6lbs 12oz, the weight is more inline with many of the requests. Like last year, we'd prefer to run the sendero contour instead of the light which will add 4 oz. We'd be willing to do the short actions on the light contour this time. If anybody needs an explanation as to why that is, let me know.

Another option for this category if weight is more flexible and it has to be adjustable would be using an AG version like last year. Whatever it is, it will need to be one or the other. We can't do both.

Category #2 first concept:
      Defiance Tenacity or variant of same
      Proof Light Sendero
      McMillan Game Hunter with Edge Technology
      APR Bottom Metal
      Trigger Tech Primary

Discuss..........

I like it!

Comment

Originally posted by OSU Fisher View Post
        I was thinking of going with that in #2 :eek. am I stupid or is this not doable with the action/barrels your thinking? Was thinking long range hunting hammer. 338 lapua would put the smack down on some stuff! If not it will make things ALOT cheaper for me haha was thinking if it was close to last years it would handle it but I'm no expert.
        I don't think McMillan would warranty that stock if we did it! Lol. You might want to look at one of the big 30s or 338 RUM to get close on that platform. And choose your scope wisely at that weight. It's going to get tested
        Last edited by Stick1; 12-12-2019, 11:06 PM.

Comment

I don't think McMillan would warranty that stock if we did it! Lol
          Hahaha, I got ya! Glad I asked! Ive got an itch for a "BIG" LR but packable hunting setup. Not that my 300wm won't do what I need... Maybe have to talk about that separately. I know I would be pushing it. Just see some of these 338's guys are flinging right now and I get jealous...
          Always fun to dream!

I picked up a 300wm and 6.5prc in last year's build so was hoping to distance myself from that. Guess maybe just a short 6.5 manbun for this #2 unless I can come up with another idea! Would be a killer range and wife rig in a 18-20 in range

What's yours thoughts on the 6mm creed? My concern is barrel life as they would be shot ALOT

Thanks!
          Last edited by OSU Fisher; 12-12-2019, 11:56 PM.

Comment

I like the stock option shown

Comment

Was kind of hoping option 1 would gain some traction. It opened up the door to the 338 Lapua class stuff. Can still do the 30/28 on this platform if someone wants it. Though after seeing Craig's results with the 30 Nosler, not sure it's worth the trouble!

28 Nosler going to be too much recoil with this build? Or are there other difficulties? Is a 300 PRC out? I’m assuming that requires a larger bolt face, but not sure. Maybe I should hold out for the donor action for one of these larger cartridges.

Originally posted by OSU Fisher View Post
              I picked up a 300wm and 6.5prc in last year's build so was hoping to distance myself from that. Guess maybe just a short 6.5 manbun for this #2 unless I can come up with another idea! Would be a killer range and wife rig in a 18-20 in range

Thanks!

I did a 20” manbun last year and it’s unreal! Love it!

Comment

The 2020 TBH/APR Special Planning Thread

Originally posted by bowhunter_2 View Post
                This!

#2 with adjustable stock and steel barrel option. Not too concerned with having a sub 7 lb rifle

Totally agree. The prototype of #2 is not really what I was looking for and #2 was my original second choice. It just seems like last years build again.

Seemed like there was a strong desire for the adjustable comb. More than sub 7.

I also want a steel barrel.

Comment

Was kind of hoping option 1 would gain some traction. It opened up the door to the 338 Lapua class stuff. Can still do the 30/28 on this platform if someone wants it. Though after seeing Craig's results with the 30 Nosler, not sure it's worth the trouble!
                  I really was hoping #1 would gain traction as well. If enough people wanted one would it make sense from a business standpoint to offer #1 and #2?

Comment

This needs a poll

Comment

The game scout has a terribly low comb height. It is also too narrow in the forearm to host a Proof sendero contour. When it was all we had, we just lived with it's shortcomings. I really like the game warden as it has enough forend width to do whatever you want, yet still not too bulky for a hunting rig. It was actually my first choice for this, but needed an adjustable comb to work for this.........which just destroyed the lightweight part of the request. It's still an option if thats what most folks want. In my mind, I'd rather go AG if we end up going adjustable. It may come in a touch lighter and lead times and pricing will be slightly better.
                      Game Warden is more appealing to me. Allows LH/RH shooters to use the same stock regardless of bolt orientation, no cheek rest to worry about

Comment

Originally posted by tanto View Post
                        Game Warden is more appealing to me. Allows LH/RH shooters to use the same stock regardless of bolt orientation, no cheek rest to worry about

Cheek rest is the thing I dont like. I am a lefty that shoots right handed bolts most often

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                          Cheek rest is the thing I dont like. I am a lefty that shoots right handed bolts most often
                          Same here bud. Much prefer a stock like the game warden that does not have a cheek rest for one particular side

Comment

Originally posted by larryz71 View Post
                            I really was hoping #1 would gain traction as well. If enough people wanted one would it make sense from a business standpoint to offer #1 and #2?

Not when it’s behind numbers 2 and 3 (if not more) maybe if there was more interest to put it as a front runner or even close second but there just hasn’t been that much from what I’m reading.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by Txarrowhunter View Post
                              This needs a poll

Poll for what? No details or rifles have been decided on to even have a poll to vote. I think he is trying to iron out details on #2 and then a vote between 2 and 3 looks like it will be needed IMO.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                                Poll for what? No details or rifles have been decided on to even have a poll to vote. I think he is trying to iron out details on #2 and then a vote between 2 and 3 looks like it will be needed IMO.

Sierracharlie out…
                                2 looks plenty laid out to me and the majority.

Comment

Working...
                                X