Lead Free - Copper Only Ammo Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
    I didn't do anything different with mine. I've read on another forum to use Dyna-Tek Bore Coat and it reduces fouling. I've never had an issue with the Barnes TTSX or the X-bullet fouling my bores that much. I always clean it the same way. I use Montana Extreme Copper Remover for the copper fouling and JB Bore if I have a very dirty barrel from extended use. A nylon brush, bore guide and a bunch of patches and get after it.

I've used Wipe Out with the accelerator as well, but it didn't seem to get out all of the copper fouling.

Why nylon brush over copper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
      Why nylon brush over copper?

The're just something about that metal brush rubbing up and down my barrel that grates me. I generally use a little larger size than what the bore size is to get a snug fit. Like for a .243 I'd use a .257 or .270 size nylon brush.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
        Must ask, why copper only bullets? They tend to foul a barrel very quickly.
        Copper is copper, whether it's solid copper or a copper jacket. You'll have to show how one fouls faster than the other for some of us to believe that claim. You got a link to some study I can read?

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
          Bringing this back up. I have a new rifle. Never fired. Is there any special cleaning or care needed for a gun shooting copper? Can I still use the same gun cleaning regimen I’ve been used to for 20yrs? Hopes 9 and 3-in-1 oil???

Same regimen

Comment

Copper itself is very soft metal which would work as a bullet (100%). Jackets tend to have more alloy/ gilding metals mixed.

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
            Copper is copper, whether it's solid copper or a copper jacket. You'll have to show how one fouls faster than the other for some of us to believe that claim. You got a link to some study I can read?

Comment

I used to shoot Barnes X bullets years ago and loved them. I'm shooting 150 grain TTSX now and like them so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                Copper itself is very soft metal which would work as a bullet (100%). Jackets tend to have more alloy/ gilding metals mixed.
                Yep. The pure copper (Barnes) foul more than gilding metal copper (everyone else).

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                  Me too, I wonder if that’s what’s wrong with me now.
                  Me too, that will explain everything

Comment

Working...
                  X