Handgun for Deer/Hogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
    The problem with the desert eagle is that you lose all of the versatility of the revolver. The DE needs full power rounds of the roundish nose variety. If you are only looking to shoot 240-300 jhps, it might be ok. But, if you want to go with the WFN leads that really open things up with 44, you can't. Also DEs can be finicky about ammo in general. They do have 6 and 10 inch barrels so barrel length wouldn't be an issue, but for a hunting hand gun they fall far behind a revolver IMO, because of the lack of versatility in the ammo you can use
    And they’re heavy. And huge. And the triggers are usually not good.

Comment

^^^^Yep, and all those things too^^^

Comment

I just sold a Glock 41 (.45) that I shot several deer and quite a few pigs with but couldn't shoot the groups I wanted. Just bought a new stainless Blackhawk in 357 6.5" barrel an shooting 1.5" groups. Cant wait to see what damage it will do. Im loaded with the buffalo bore 125gn barnes vortex bullet rollin out at over 1700fps an pushing 700 pounds of energy. Its some HOT stuff.

Comment

Pretty much exactly what I have and love it. No sense in using a long range rifle for a 50 yard shot

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
          A Ruger Super Blackhawk hunter in .44 Mag, topped with a 2x scope would be perfect.

Comment

30 fpj

I love my TC encore in 30 FPJ, 155 gr berger VLD hunting drops them in their tracks.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
              My vote is a S&W 686 with a 6-7" barrel in either .357 or .44 mag.
              686 is .357 only. S&W 29/629 is .44 mag.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                I agree, just many people don't seem understand or want to admit that a 10mm has less power at the muzzle than a 44 mag has at 100 yards. The 10 is good for what it is, but it is really not the 120 yard gun that the OP asked about.
                Oh, I agree completely.

Comment

I like my Colt Delta Elite 10mm for close up hog hunting but either my 44 mag or 41 mag, both paired with lever action rifles when needed are the go to guns. Hard to beat the Rugers for pistols and Henry makes a nice 41 mag rifle, the Winchester 44 mag is a given.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                    A Ruger Super Blackhawk hunter in .44 Mag, topped with a 2x scope would be perfect.
                    Hard to beat it !

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X