Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Talking my dad out of selling his .270

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought a 270 would be enough, but turned out it wasn't. Once you try to track an elk at 10500 feet through deadfall, up and down a mountain ridge, with no bloodtrail you understand why. You need an EXIT hole. Another hunter found my elk two days later, and I hit right behind the shoulder were I had aimed. Problem was the shot was at such a steep angle I only got one lung and no exit.

I would agree with the 7mm mag or 300 WSM on elk in mountain country. On the flat ground areas it probably doesn't matter.

Comment

Comment

Since they came out with new models this year from Weatherby there are some real good deals on models from last year.

Comment

I appreciate all the advice. I guess I should have titled the thread better.

Trying to talk him out of selling it just if he thinks it’s not enough gun for elk. He’s got the money for whatever he wants and it’s taken until a couple years ago but he is finally comfortable buying himself things instead of only spending money on others.

I guess the bigger question I didn’t ask properly was, should I stead him to the .257wby which has always been his dream rifle over a magnum just for a couple elk hunts (and keep the .270). It’s a nice rifle, 700 bdl. Gonna go with what CajunBlake suggested and work up some hand loads and upgrade the stock. My FIL reloads while I’m getting all the gear together to start

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post

Trying to talk him out of selling it just if he thinks it’s not enough gun for elk. He’s got the money for whatever he wants and it’s taken until a couple years ago but he is finally comfortable buying himself things instead of only spending money on others.

I guess the bigger question I didn’t ask properly was, should I stead him to the .257wby which has always been his dream rifle over a magnum just for a couple elk hunts (and keep the .270). It’s a nice rifle, 700 bdl. Gonna go with what CajunBlake suggested and work up some hand loads and upgrade the stock. My FIL reloads while I’m getting all the gear together to start
            Talk him into trading the .270 for a 7mag Weatherby for elk AND a .257 Weatherby for all the other dreams then. Problems solved!

Comment

All he needs is a 270 just use a heavier bullet. I killed my elk with a 100 grain muzzy and my neighbor killed his with his 6.5.

Comment

Dad, don’t do it!!!

Comment

He's your dad, go buy a decent 7mag then swap guns, you'll get dads old gun, dad will have toy, peace and joy will reign throughout the kingdom.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                    First thing I would do is hand load to see if the rifle is a shooter. Based on results will confirm if it qualifies to re-barrel with a custom match grade barrel.

Are you saying that if it does shoot well now, then it would qualify for you to re-barrel? And if it doesn’t shoot well, a new barrel on the same action may not help?
                    Just want to make sure I’m following you, just starting to dabble in the precision world.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post

There isn't any animal that a .257 Wby will kill that a .270 Win won't.

Comment

Buy the 270 from him and take dad shopping. It ain’t worth arguing about. Be thankful that your able to be there with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cazador View Post
                          The .270 is plenty for a do all North America cartridge. I knew a guy that was a pretty accomplished elk hunter, he told me that he always used a .270. He said the trick is that when you pull the trigger you holler “7 mag” and the elk get confused and think they’ve been shot by a 7 mag and fall over dead. As accomplished as he was you could only believe about half of what he said! That said, if your dad wants an excuse to buy a new rifle that’s about as good as any!

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X