No announcement yet.

Henry Vs. Marlin 45-70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got the Henry, it's solid as can be. It's dead on at 100 yards.

Kicks like a mule.

I don't love the magazine design but it's historically accurate.

I think you can reload faster on the marlin.

But then again if I can't kill what I'm needing to kill with 5 rounds of .45-70 I may have other issues.

Comment

Is there a big difference in quality between the Marlin GBL and the G?

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
        Is there a big difference in quality between the Marlin GBL and the G?
        No. Just some added features on that the gbl.

Comment

I'm not sure there is a right answer. They both look good.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
            No. Just some added features on that the gbl.
            The GBL has the laminate which I'm not a fan of, but it does have a larger capacity, and a larger lever.

Comment

I'm in the middle of the same debate for a .357 lever. Every Henry I've shot is solid and accurate, but the Marlins sure look good.

Comment

Is the Henry trigger better than the new model Marlins?

Comment

I’m a Marlin fan. There are more after markets for the Marlin also.

Comment

Dry fire both from the prone. Buy the one that has ergonomics that instantly lock your rear grip, fore grip, cheek weld, and eye relief together to give you instant and repeatable Natural Point Of Aim.

To do this from the prone, establish good sight picture, good sight alignment, close eyes, breathe all in, all out, pause at bottom. Still on target? If yes, dry fire (note the feel of the trigger as it breaks). If not on target when you open your eyes, re-align to get good sight picture, good sight alignment, move your legs, hips, and body to make this happen. If one gun does this much easier than the other, buy that one.

Comment

Originally posted by banzai View Post
                      Dry fire both from the prone. Buy the one that has ergonomics that instantly lock your rear grip, fore grip, cheek weld, and eye relief together to give you instant and repeatable Natural Point Of Aim.

To do this from the prone, establish good sight picture, good sight alignment, close eyes, breathe all in, all out, pause at bottom. Still on target? If yes, dry fire (note the feel of the trigger as it breaks). If not on target when you open your eyes, re-align to get good sight picture, good sight alignment, move your legs, hips, and body to make this happen. If one gun does this much easier than the other, buy that one.
                      All this for a lever gun?

Comment

Neither!! they kick like hell!

Had a JM stamp Marlin guide and sold it-- even after the 325gr gummies.

BUT- if you were to have one I think the Marlin big loop stainless laminate in the best offering out there!

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                          Just my $.02 but I feel the 45-70 is a classic old round and it deserves a classic rifle.

The Henry is a modern abomination of a lever gun in my opinion. Please look at a Winchester 1886, Browning or Uberti clone as options. The 1895 Marlin over a Henry any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
                          This ^^^^
                          Not sure if mentioned, but marlin has a new Dark series
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MLank View Post
                            All this for a lever gun?
                            Yes. If your lever gun goes to Natural Point of Aim instantly when it's on your shoulder, you have a lever gun gets up on your cheek fast and hits where you look instantly, especially if your are swinging to follow a moving target close range in brush like a hog or coyote. If you can shoulder it fast and look over the barrel while swinging and still hit where you look, then you have a brush gun that works for you.

Comment

I have a JM stamped marlin. It almost shoots 1 hole @ 100yds with factory 300gr Winchester. It kicks like a mule, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
                                Is the Henry trigger better than the new model Marlins?
                                No way. I have my share of Henry’s and each and every thousands of dollars worth the trigger was deplorable. I had to do my own trigger job. Its easy to do the Marlin trigger job too or replace it with a WWG trigger.

I cannot disagree with Bigdraw especially concerning either of the CB offerings from Marlin

Comment

Working...
                                X