No announcement yet.

Rifle/Caliber Decisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the replies. My .260 is in Savage. although nothing is stock but the trigger (adj. to 3 +/- lbs) and the action, I’m still partial to the name.

I think if I get a new rifle it will be the Savage Axis XP II Hardwood in 7mm08. I’ve wanted this round for a while and now I semi have an excuse.

My options for optics are:
    3-9x40 Vortex Diamondback (already have it on another rifle)
    $199 - 3-9x40 basic Leupold VX Freedom
    $250ish - 3.5-10x50 Vortex Diamondback

Any input on optics? Optics Planet is running the 3.5-10x for about $250 with a set of Vortex rings. If I bought the Leupold I would need to spend additional funds on a set of rings.

But I’ve read good things about the Freedom scope (basically old VX-2) in comparison to the Diamondback. Seems like eye relief is more favorable and visibility is better in low light conditions. I don’t want to spend but 200-250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan81 View Post
        Thanks for all the replies. My .260 is in Savage. although nothing is stock but the trigger (adj. to 3 +/- lbs) and the action, I’m still partial to the name.

I think if I get a new rifle it will be the Savage Axis XP II Hardwood in 7mm08. I’ve wanted this round for a while and now I semi have an excuse.

My options for optics are:
        3-9x40 Vortex Diamondback (already have it on another rifle)
        $199 - 3-9x40 basic Leupold VX Freedom
        $250ish - 3.5-10x50 Vortex Diamondback

Any input on optics? Optics Planet is running the 3.5-10x for about $250 with a set of Vortex rings. If I bought the Leupold I would need to spend additional funds on a set of rings.

But I’ve read good things about the Freedom scope (basically old VX-2) in comparison to the Diamondback. Seems like eye relief is more favorable and visibility is better in low light conditions. I don’t want to spend but 200-250.

I just bought that same Leupold on Amazon for $174. I'd shoot it over a Vortex 10 to 1

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
          You can get a Tikka for $575 on Bud's.

Or get a Weatherby/Howa

I bought a Tikka T3 Hunter in 7mm Rem Mag when the T3X models were coming out for $500. I don’t know current pricing.

I put a Vortex on it on sale at Cabelas on top. Shooting off a folding table with bipod, a shot a 3 shot, 3/4” group at 200 yards. I only did it once and quit shooting. The Sims AirTech pad took all the sting out of the recoil.

Comment

Weatherby Vanguard in any available caliber. I like that they are putting 26” barrels on Magnum calibers now. I think my next one will be a .240 Weatherby Magnum.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
              Weatherby S2 in 257 Mag.

Thread is over.
              This ^^^

I just got one and couldn’t be happier

Comment

Originally posted by chrisk View Post
                Weatherby Vanguard in any available caliber. I like that they are putting 26” barrels on Magnum calibers now. I think my next one will be a .240 Weatherby Magnum.
                This. I love my vanguard and I paid around $425 during a Black Friday sale I think

Comment

The vanguards are nice shooters

Comment

7mm-08, if not, 30-06

Comment

Working...
                    X