Rifle/Caliber Decisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rifle/Caliber Decisions

Help me decide on a new bolt action under $500. I like Savage.

I’m guessing my options are limited to:
    Savage Axis II XP (I like the wood grain option)
    Savage 11/111
    Thompson/Center Compass or Venture
    Ruger American

Also recommendations on caliber because I can’t decide. I’m looking for something else lightweight for whitetail. I currently have a .260 Remington bolt action and a 6.5 Grendel AR15. Everything else is chambered in a smaller caliber. I’m leaning towards a 7mm08 but can’t decide. Is there anything else I should consider? My shots shouldn’t me any further than 300 yards. Most of them inside of 200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I retired my grandfathers old 30-06s and got a Ruger American Predator in 6.5. It’s a great rifle for the money!!

Comment

.270 ruger American. Caliber suggestion is biased on my part but make/model is based on reading a lot about what they’re putting out lately.

Comment

Ruger!

Comment

Both Savage and Ruger make a good rifle. See which one feels better in your hands I'd say. Can't go wrong with a .25-06, 7mm08 is a great caliber as well

Comment

Ruger .270. And I love Savages
            Slight trigger adjustment
            And a great scope

BP

Comment

.308 if you want a short action, 30-06 if you want a long action. As far as make savage, then ruger.

Comment

Can't beat the 7mm-08 for an all around great caliber.

If it will be solely for whitetails, 25-06 is a caliber as well. Another caliber that I currently do not have, but it will be my next rifle build, will be a 257 Weatherby Mag.
                Last edited by 44mAG; 07-31-2019, 09:44 PM.

Comment

I would say 7mm-08, 270 or 25-06, 308, 30-06, 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag.
                  Remington 700
                  Savage
                  Ruger
                  Thompson center venture or compass
                  Mossberg.

500-600 dollar range Tikka can be found.

Comment

I feel savage and ruger is the best bang for your money these days. I would give savage the edge though.

Comment

I bought a used, almost new Weatherby (howa) that IMO is considerably better than all the guns listed for $500. And it had a decent, but not great Vortex scope on it. So if you are flexible on caliber, go look for a good used gun. The stocks on all the sub $500 guns you listed are basically junk, and the triggers, even the accutriggers and their copies leave a lot to be desired.

As far as caliber suggestions, I would go with anything mainstream and not magnum. 3006/270/308/708etc

Comment

You can get a Tikka for $575 on Bud's.

Or get a Weatherby/Howa

Comment

All good info...Ford /Chevy /Ram

Comment

To me, it seems like the 7/08 although a good cartridge, won’t do much different than the 260 you already have. Are you replacing the that rifle?

Comment

I picked up a Savage Model 10T-SR .308 for $500 on sale at Cabela's few years back. Heavier barrel, threaded muzzle. It was my hog gun until I built a new rifle this year. But like mentioned, the stock was okay, not great. I replaced it with a MDT LSS chassis system and accuracy was significantly improved.

Comment

Working...
                              X