Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Youth rifle and caliber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Y’all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GunnerHunter View Post
      We got my 9 yr old son a 7-08 for Christmas and he's doing good with it..
      Started my son on a .22-250 and stepped up to the 7mm-08 at 9 years old. He uses reduced recoil loads and loves it!

Comment

Can’t go wrong with a 243

Comment

My daughter has a Savage Lady Hunter in 7mm-08

It’s a shooter.

It also is actually smaller than the “youth” models, the wood stock and finish are much nicer as well.

I wouldn’t hesitate to get the same rifle in a 6.5 caliber

They’re now discontinued, but some are still out there and available.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

7-08

Comment

My 10 year old shoots a Savage 243 youth model. It has the Accutrigger and comes with a discount certificate for a full sized stock. The gun shoots amazingly accurate for its price and has almost no recoil with the Hornady managed recoil ammo. He shot a 138lb sow with it yesterday and I was impressed with the damage caused through both front shoulders when I cleaned it.

Comment

Ruger American Compact in 7mm-08. You can get s new one for about $375. Fantastic little rifle. I’m going to get one as s truck gun.

Comment

So what exactly are the differences between 7mm-08 and .243?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyG View Post

Honestly,

It is the difference between a 6mm and a 7mm bullet. Same parent cartridge, a 308. Pretty much the same powder capacity.

Slightly heavier bullet in the 7mm. My daughter now shoots 140gn projectile. I made some 120gn when she first started out, for reduced recoil.

She’s grown quite a bit in the last 4 years, since getting the rifle.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Short answer 7mm v 6mm.

Both built off the .308 case.

Boils down to bullet you'd want to shoot .243 you can go light. Can get heavier bullets on 7mm-08

Comment

I definitely want something they can grow in to. Sounds like a .243 with a reduced recoil load to start off with. I say .243 because the rounds are so prevalent on the shelves.

Comment

I definitely want something they can grow in to. Sounds like a .243 with a reduced recoil load to start off with. I say .243 because the rounds are so prevalent on the shelves.

This is true but so is the 7mm-08 now and they have reduced recoil for that round as well. You also have heavier bullet options later on. 140gr at 2900fps really delivers the mail!

Comment

My dad got me a 30-06 when I was 7 and told me to handle it or don’t get to hunt lol

Comment

my son is 10, he shoots my 223, 22-250, 243, and 6.5 creedmoor all equally well. He prefers the 6.5 creedmoor. plenty of knockdown with minimal recoil.

Comment

I like the 7-08 but cant argue with the availability of .243 rounds. Every hardware store has a box on the shelf which is awesome when you get to the ranch and left your ammo at home

Comment

Working...
                                X