No announcement yet.

Lapping Scope Rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There you go. that's pretty thick. 4 thousandths with a 200 grit abrasive is doable, for sure, depending on its hardness. Steel, takes forever to remove 1 thousandth.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
      By that logic, if everything is high quality why should you have to bed?
      I bought this rifle from him with the Seekins rail on it and it wasn’t bedded. Doh!
      Man, I have to say it. That action does not even list for me as 'High quality'. It is a production action that will deflect a base. It should be bedded. Trophy 8 has enough experience to make a decision regarding it impacting accuracy. He probably choose not to waste time doing it because you will see zero impact on targets. I will bed bases to actions of this caliber depending on what I feel when the rail is on the action. A precision action, Defiance, Big Horn, Impact, APR, etc will either come with a pinned base or have one machined into the action. The rings will be fine.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Comment

I am just gonna leave this here. I will reiterate that with precision parts you do not need to lap rings. Again, production parts are not precision.

From Seekins-
        The best rifle scope in the world is useless without scope rings precisely aligned that hold it immovably in place. Seekins Precision Scope Rings are the best available to mount precision optics to precision rifles. Machined from 7075-T6 aluminum in serialized pairs to the most exacting standards in the industry, Seekins Scope Rings never need to be lapped or altered in any way. Scope Rings are .8” wide (4 screw cap) to provide more clamping surface area than any other ring on the market. Smooth edges and radiuses make Seekins Scope rings snag free and will not hang up when deploying from drag bags or scabbards. Ring sets 1.26” and taller, have weight reduction machining in the bottom of the ring body. All rings are Type III Hardcoat Anodized matte black for a durable non-glare finish. Built to the 1913 Picatinny specification, Seekins Precision Scope Rings have a center lug machined directly into the bottom. This integral, flat recoil lug is far superior to cross bolt lug designs and fits precisely into Picatinny slots with minimal clearance. For maximum torque and strength, Grade 8 T-25 Torx[emoji2400] fasteners are used that will not strip out while being tightened to the appropriate specification.

Comment

By that logic, if everything is high quality why should you have to bed?
          I bought this rifle from him with the Seekins rail on it and it wasn’t bedded. Doh!
          Dude, I am not gonna get into a pissing match with you. Buy a quality action and lap 200 dollar rings if it makes you feel better. It will have zero impact on accuracy and you will have voided the warranty. If lapping makes you feel better as a shooter that will show in the target more than the actual lapping.

Comment

I’m more curious if you have to worry about grit and metal shavings making their way down into the action while lapping. If so what do you cover it with to keep that stuff out?

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
              Dude, I am not gonna get into a pissing match with you. Buy a quality action and lap 200 dollar rings if it makes you feel better. It will have zero impact on accuracy and you will have voided the warranty. If lapping makes you feel better as a shooter that will show in the target more than the actual lapping.

For not wanting to **** you seem determined to keep topping off the last word. Taking pot shots isn’t going to get to me, but have at it if you need to broadcast your machismo.
              I’ll do what I want and feel ok about it, and like I said to t8, your decisions are yours to make.
              Manufacturing processes have tolerance because we cannot make perfect parts, period. Mix materials and manufacturers and relying on perfect fit becomes a statistical improbability. I don’t understand the insistence that if you spend enough money you can do away with this fact, but I don’t have to.
              You’ll get your chance to comment on a custom action and precision, one-piece rings.
              How many competition shooters do you know that don’t lap rings? You must be better and know more than all of them.
              If you buy quality rings you don’t need a warranty.

Comment

so my box stock ruger 308 really hasn't shot .037" with a tasco 4x16 and who knows what brand of rings? , man imagine what I could do if I had done that? maybe I should break it all down and lap the rings 20+ years later?

I am just getting to be an old geezer,, but all but 1 rifle I have ever owned would do less than 1" with handloads,,, probably over 75 rifles of all makes and calibers,,,,

I guess I will continue to skip the lapping process, especially since they is no evidence of improvement

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                  so my box stock ruger 308 really hasn't shot .037" with a tasco 4x16 and who knows what brand of rings? , man imagine what I could do if I had done that? maybe I should break it all down and lap the rings 20+ years later?

I am just getting to be an old geezer,, but all but 1 rifle I have ever owned would do less than 1" with handloads,,, probably over 75 rifles of all makes and calibers,,,,

I guess I will continue to skip the lapping process, especially since they is no evidence of improvement
                  I didn't suggest you do anything... it's the anti-lapping crowd that gets excited about what other people do for some reason.
                  What I want to know is, how did you manage to measure a group, presumably shot on paper, to the 0.001" accuracy? That's a feat I find hard to believe!

Comment

I think that lapping would be another tool to use to correct extremely minor ring alignment issues. If one feels that it will give an edge, then by all means do it. Unless overdone, it shouldn't hurt anything. I would do anything that would boost my confidence in my equipment performance, especially if it was in competition.

Comment

I didn't suggest you do anything... it's the anti-lapping crowd that gets excited about what other people do for some reason.
                      What I want to know is, how did you manage to measure a group, presumably shot on paper, to the 0.001" accuracy? That's a feat I find hard to believe!
                      i have also been a machinist ,,, so yea it can be done,,, and no it is not easy, unless you have the tools,, you simply measure the outside of the group when it is that small and subtract the diameter of the bullet...it really was one hole, a small one !
                      Last edited by xman59; 01-16-2019, 05:03 PM.

Comment

The seekins rings on my apr had to be lapped. The scope (hd6 leupold) would not fit correctly prior to lapping.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

For not wanting to **** you seem determined to keep topping off the last word. Taking pot shots isn’t going to get to me, but have at it if you need to broadcast your machismo.
                          I’ll do what I want and feel ok about it, and like I said to t8, your decisions are yours to make.
                          Manufacturing processes have tolerance because we cannot make perfect parts, period. Mix materials and manufacturers and relying on perfect fit becomes a statistical improbability. I don’t understand the insistence that if you spend enough money you can do away with this fact, but I don’t have to.
                          You’ll get your chance to comment on a custom action and precision, one-piece rings.
                          How many competition shooters do you know that don’t lap rings? You must be better and know more than all of them.
                          If you buy quality rings you don’t need a warranty.
                          I have re read all my posts and I came off like a Richard.I am sorry for that. I do not have the best equipment, nor do I know 100% of the PRS shooters. I know a few with Jerseys and that is it. I am not the best shot on this board and have never claimed to be. There are way better shooters perusing daily. Having said all that,

For the lapping crowd, how do you ensure scope tube runout or coating thickness? I do not want to start an argument; I am genuinely curious.

Hope we can all get back to the fellowship this forum provides

Comment

I have re read all my posts and I came off like a Richard.I am sorry for that. I do not have the best equipment, nor do I know 100% of the PRS shooters. I know a few with Jerseys and that is it. I am not the best shot on this board and have never claimed to be. There are way better shooters perusing daily. Having said all that,

For the lapping crowd, how do you ensure scope tube runout or coating thickness? I do not want to start an argument; I am genuinely curious.

Hope we can all get back to the fellowship this forum provides

And to you, meltingfeather, I apologize directly. My way is not better than yours and I should not have said anything about equipment.

Comment

I don’t have a practical way to do anything about these variations, so I don’t.

And to you, meltingfeather, I apologize directly. My way is not better than yours and I should not have said anything about equipment.
                              No worries, hombre. I popped off a bit myself. Respect for being man enough to own your **** and apologize. Forums would be much better places if there were more of this.

Comment

I don’t have a practical way to do anything about these variations, so I don’t.

No worries, hombre. I popped off a bit myself. Respect for being man enough to own your **** and apologize. Forums would be much better places if there were more of this.
                                We are all good!

Comment

Working...
                                X