Help Me Pick A New Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
    I have a question which is off track but why do so many people in Texas want a 300 mag??

Their is nothing in Texas that a 300 mag is needed to cleanly kill.
    It's not considered overkill for Aoudads, which OP mentioned. And of course Nilgai, elk, silk etc would be just fine.

Comment

So many options in that price range.

I'd go savage and don't see the ugly that some do. If you don't like the barrel nut, swap it out for a smooth nut. Hardly noticeable and some come with it. Add a timney trigger and you're set. I'm not a fan of the accu-trigger.

I've had tikka's and like them a lot. My only issue is the 24 inch barrel. Add a B&C stock along with some of the other add-on's you can get for a tikka and it's first class. Someone is even making aluminum bottom metal. IF you hand load, the magazine can length restrictive for a 300wm.

No experience but that Bergara looks to be a good deal and has lots of good reviews.

Same for the new line of Browning's. They've always made a good rifle but they've really expanded the line of options including long range models with fast twist barrels. This would be the one I'd be most interested in.

Remington 5R would be my only interest but I think it's just out of your price range.

Comment

Firearms Distributor, Wholesale Guns, Wholesale Handguns, Wholesale Shotguns, Wholesale Rifles, Wholesale Accessories, Wholesale Pistols, Wholesale Silencers, Wholesale NFA, Wholesale Optics, Shooting Sports Wholesaler, Shooting Sports Distributor

I want one like this in 6.5

Comment

Another vote for the Tikka T3X Lite.

Comment

Originally posted by gneimeth View Post
            So I’ve got roughly a $1k to buy a new rifle and want a 300 win mag so that I can use for a future Aoudad hunt. I’m really torn between Browning, Bergara, and even Savage. I’m a weekend warrior, will use factory ammo, primarily a hunting rifle with an occasional session to try and get out to 500-600 yards with it.

Here is my wish list:

Stainless steel Barrel
            Not too heavy - would like a true hunting rig.
            Adjustable stock and trigger
            Threaded barrel to add muzzle brake or would like it to have one installed already.

What I don’t like about the Browning’s is the proprietary scope rings/mounts along with their stocks. I really like the savage 10/100 bear hunter which has everything I’m looking for but it being a “Savage” scares me?

I’ve been reading different threads on here but nothing has pushed me one way or the other?
            What about being a savage scares you?

I have the 116 bear hunter in .338 win mag and love it. Granted the only thing I would shoot with it in Texas is a nilgai, i have it for hunting in grizzly country.

I’m a big savage fan and that is all I shoot, all my bolt guns are savage’s, but I will say I wouldn’t touch the axis series as I am not into those cheaper rifles. The only drawback with savage is they have hardly any off the shelf models that come threaded for shooting suppressed like you are wanting. As far as shooting wise, they shoot better out of the box than any other brand and that’s dang near a fact. Yes some models are hideous, but they do have very good looking models such as the 16/116’s, 14/114’s, and some of the specialty 10/110’s.

Comment

Browning Hells Canyon
              Christensen Arms Mesa

but they are a little over $1000

Comment

Comment

Remington 5R milspec. They only thing is it is not light. This is truly a 1000 yard gun out of the box. I paid more than the above listing.

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
                    I have a question which is off track but why do so many people in Texas want a 300 mag??

Their is nothing in Texas that a 300 mag is needed to cleanly kill.
                    I use mine for Red Stag and elk.

Comment

So I’ve got roughly a $1k to buy a new rifle and want a 300 win mag so that I can use for a future Aoudad hunt. I’m really torn between Browning, Bergara, and even Savage. I’m a weekend warrior, will use factory ammo, primarily a hunting rifle with an occasional session to try and get out to 500-600 yards with it.

Here is my wish list:

Stainless steel Barrel
                      Not too heavy - would like a true hunting rig.
                      Adjustable stock and trigger
                      Threaded barrel to add muzzle brake or would like it to have one installed already.

What I don’t like about the Browning’s is the proprietary scope rings/mounts along with their stocks. I really like the savage 10/100 bear hunter which has everything I’m looking for but it being a “Savage” scares me?

I’ve been reading different threads on here but nothing has pushed me one way or the other?
                      DO NOT LET "Savage" scare you. I used to be the same way growing up a savage was junk. Today that IS NOT the case. I have a couple now and they are lights out tack drivers .5 moa or less out to 500yds (haven't tested on paper out past that) and I have had no issues with them. I have an Model 12 LRP I have had 1.8 MOA groups with at a mile. I have a $500 model 111 that is a 1000 yd shooter no problem.
                      Last edited by DuramaxDude; 01-15-2019, 02:11 PM.

Comment

I’ll stretch the budget if I have too - may wait to see what comes out over the next month. I’m leaning way heavily towards the Hells Canyon but no one has any in stock in a 300 WM. As far as looks - the Weatherby Vanguard First Lite rifle looks fantastic but there is little to no reviews online.

Comment

I’ll stretch the budget if I have too - may wait to see what comes out over the next month. I’m leaning way heavily towards the Hells Canyon but no one has any in stock in a 300 WM. As far as looks - the Weatherby Vanguard First Lite rifle looks fantastic but there is little to no reviews online.
                          Waiting until after show season (ATA, SHOT, etc..) is never a bad idea.

Comment

anything Remington !!

Comment

In the same boat... I like the Bergara Premier line but I’m looking for a short, 20-22” tube 6.5 (260, 6.5x55, 6.5 CM) capable of reaching out that’ll double as a handy truck rifle. Nothing I see there really blows my skirt up. I’m toying with the idea of a Sako Carbon Wolf with the short barrel, but not sure I want to drop that much coin. Then I look at the Browning HC Speed at less than 1/2 the price.Then I glance over at Cooper but their only short action, synthetic, etc production model i can find is the Raptor at well over 10 pounds. Then I start toying with the idea of building another custom, but my impatience kicks in and I don’t want to wait that long. So many choices...

Comment

Originally posted by Ag 96 View Post
                                In the same boat... I like the Bergara Premier line but I’m looking for a short, 20-22” tube 6.5 (260, 6.5x55, 6.5 CM) capable of reaching out that’ll double as a handy truck rifle. Nothing I see there really blows my skirt up. I’m toying with the idea of a Sako Carbon Wolf with the short barrel, but not sure I want to drop that much coin. Then I look at the Browning HC Speed at less than 1/2 the price.Then I glance over at Cooper but their only short action, synthetic, etc production model i can find is the Raptor at well over 10 pounds. Then I start toying with the idea of building another custom, but my impatience kicks in and I don’t want to wait that long. So many choices...
                                I hear you - soooooo many solid choices and options!

Comment

Working...
                                X