No announcement yet.

Wanting to get into reloading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started with a lee classic turret, never had any issues with it. I did not like the lee scale that came with it and eventually upgraded to a used charge master. Eventually I’m wanting to upgrade to an auto trickler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Also, I’d recommend buying used. Several reloading for sale posts in the classifieds.

Comment

I'd recommend a turret press and specifically the Redding T7

Comment

Starting out, I would NOT recommend a multi-press which does several things at one time, is too confusing at first. Go with a single-stage such as a RCBS Rock Chucker, you learn the process one step at a time and thoroughly understand what you're doing after a couple 100 rounds or so. Plus, with a single-stage you are forced to take it slow and not make mistakes, and you can really dial in a load.
          I prefer my older reloading manuals by RCBS or Speer. They will guide you through all the basic steps, things to look out for, and the things NOT to do.
          I recently bought a thick Lee manual, has a LOT of load data for many, many calibers, if you can ignore all the Lee-this, Lee-that stuff they're trying to sell.
          Prefer RCBS hardware, better made than most out there. Redding as well but hard to find.
          Good luck! Once you reload, you'll never buy another factory load.

Comment

You can pick up a rock checker in a pawn shop for $50-75or so if you look around or buy the rock checker kit. It comes with about 90% of what you need. It's not horribly expensive to get started reloading.
            I load for
            9.3x62
            7/300 wsm
            45colt
            22-250
            7mm-08
            7×57
            47/70 bpcr
            I will say that it's getting harder and harder to outperform quality factory ammo. I like the reloading as much as the shooting.

Comment

Getting a little discouraged as I have calculated what I am wanting to buy ( from midway usa/Academy ) and the price is just about the same as buying it from academy.
              I have attatched an excel sheet... seems like the casing is most expensive !

Comment

Only thing I got from academy was primers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhunter1994 View Post
                  Getting a little discouraged as I have calculated what I am wanting to buy ( from midway usa/Academy ) and the price is just about the same as buying it from academy.

You are right, brass is the most expensive component. Fortunately it is also purchased the least often.
                  Once you have everything for a particular caliber reloading becomes a lot less hurtful on your pockets. You will be able to pick up supplies one at a time without spending a whole lot.
                  I just keep a list of needed supplies on my phone and whenever an opportunity presents itself I'll grab something like a box of primers or a bottle of powder before I run out.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

You can get once fired brass a lot cheaper, if you don’t have any empties already.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                      You can get once fired brass a lot cheaper, if you don’t have any empties already.

Just out of curiosity where would I find that? Just to play with numbers

Comment

I will say the thing you'll want to invest in more is a scale and carbide dies. Other things you can go cheap for starting out, but a good scale will save you a lot of headaches.

Comment

What caliber you reloading?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

It's hard to factor in the price of brass because you'll get to reuse it. Also you get to build a load for your gun where factory ammo might shoot great in one gun but not the next gun.

Any specific reason you want the gmx bullets? There are alot of great bullets in the .30-.40 cent range.

What caliber?

Are you anywhere near Beaumont? I have some 4064 I'll give you. About 1/2# or maybe a little more of it.
                            Originally posted by Bowhunter1994 View Post

Sent from my XT1687 using Tapatalk

Comment

[quote-Bowhuter1994]
                              Just out of curiosity where would I find that? Just to play with numbers[/quote]

My father taught me as a child to save every piece of brass I shot. You can ask friends for theirs, look in classifieds or at some ranges you can buy the pick ups. Once fired 308 brass is fairly common.

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post

Originally posted by Bowhunter1994
                              I want to start reloading. That being said I’m looking for recommendations on a single stage loader. I will be reloading primarily; 308 but I would like the freedom to do other rounds like .243/.22250 etc

What would I need to order single stage loader wise/ anything else for me to get started??

I’m also looking into getting a reloading book, that will give me all the info needed. ( I don’t want one that biased, looking for general info)

What do my brothers on the green screen recommend... GO!

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post

Wanna start with .308 but eventually .243 and maybe .22250 idk . Sky’s the limit lol

Comment

Working...
                                X