No announcement yet.

2019 APR TBH Special Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just read a post from a guy who built a PRC with an 18 inch barrel to run suppressed. He said he was getting 2700fps with factory 147s. So I could see an individual getting 2900 out of 140s and a 20 inch barrel. A couple of custom ammo companies are doing 130s and you could probably get closer to 3000 FPS.

Comment

in

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
        Great question, I'm hoping Robert will give his input because I have very limited knowledge from only the last 2 days of looking at data online, but I'm going to say the PRC would be more comparable to the 7-08 AI. I believe in a 20" barrel we would expect to see the following;
        7-08 140 gr bullet 2750 fps
        7-08AI 140 gr bullet 2950 fps
        6.5 PRC 143 gr bullet 2950 fps

But no fireforming with the PRC and you can buy factory ammo for it unlike the 7-08AI

I like that!

Comment

Originally posted by OKFF610 View Post
          Just read a post from a guy who built a PRC with an 18 inch barrel to run suppressed. He said he was getting 2700fps with factory 147s. So I could see an individual getting 2900 out of 140s and a 20 inch barrel. A couple of custom ammo companies are doing 130s and you could probably get closer to 3000 FPS.
          Dang it. I like 130 and 3000fps.
          When looking for some ammo online I ran across the 6.5 gap rsaum. I should of never looked at anything other then the 7mm08.
          Last edited by cantexduck; 01-21-2019, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Cooper Creek AMMO loads 130gr Berger VLD. They say they are getting 3090 out of a 24 inch barrel so I think 2950ish is very possible out of a 20 inch.

They will also load you a 25 round starter pack. You get 5 rounds of one powder amount with increased increments to see what your rifle likes. If you aren’t into reloading this is a way to get true custom loaded ammo for your gun.
            Last edited by OKFF610; 01-21-2019, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Question for the man.....
              Click image for larger version

Name:	rps20190122_072013.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	24567939

Is this painted or dipped? Either way, can it be done in tan over the carbon fiber and still have it show through?

Comment

yall wait and see what reamers Robert has on hand

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                  Ballistics are very similar with the 7mag being +/- 150 fps faster depending on bullet weight.

280 is significantly more efficient so you get near same performance with less powder, less recoil and a standard length action instead of the longer heavier magnum action.

I have both but haven’t shot my 7mag in years [emoji6]
                  Les is wanting seven ohhhh 8. With your X-peeerteeece in said round Im gonna have her get with you for this one

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
                    That would be my question as well...

What will perform better? 7-08 20” or 6.5 prc 20”
                    This may be a dumb question, but how would a .260 Remington compare to the 6.5 prc in a short 20" barrel. My thinking is that you can only burn so much powder in a short barrel. How much faster would the 6.5 PRC push the same bullet in a 20" barrel?

Comment

What lightweight rings do y’all recommend?
                      My rifle won’t be a precision rifle of any sort and a truck/blind gun and wanting to stay with the light weight theme. (Besides a VX5HD that will go on top)

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                        My rifle won’t be a precision rifle of any sort and a truck/blind gun and wanting to stay with the light weight theme. (Besides a VX5HD that will go on top)
                        I talked to Robert about this and he recommended Seekins. Maybe not the absolute lightest but he thought best combo of lightweight/strength/quality made

Comment

Originally posted by txagyotebuster View Post
                          I talked to Robert about this and he recommended Seekins. Maybe not the absolute lightest but he thought best combo of lightweight/strength/quality made
                          10-4

I have seekins on last years build.
                          Was just curious if their was a slimmer set of rings out there

Comment

I don't think you're going to find much lighter in a rail mounted ring then the seekins. They'll be among the lightest you'll find. The other would be NF Ultralight. I believe they're very close.

Beyond that, you could take the base off and go with Talley One Piece rings. They're a tad lighter, but you're giving up some strength IMO. Not much but a little.

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                              Talley lightweights

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                                I don't think you're going to find much lighter in a rail mounted ring then the seekins. They'll be among the lightest you'll find. The other would be NF Ultralight. I believe they're very close.

Beyond that, you could take the base off and go with Talley One Piece rings. They're a tad lighter, but you're giving up some strength IMO. Not much but a little.
                                Great info and thanks

No issue getting more seekins.

Comment

Working...
                                X