No announcement yet.

25-06 vs .270

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes sir, used these ELDX in 257 and it dropped a pig with a pass thru...well to be honest, when the bullet hit, it spun him and dropped.

Originally posted by Thwackdaddy View Post
    Not necessarily.....Hornady make the 110gr eld-x for the .257 mag and is only around $35 a box. Buddy of mine shoots them and they are an awesome round that performs as advertised. I will make the switch when I am out of the $80 a box 110gr nosler accubonds that I still have

Comment

Originally posted by Grndchecker View Post

I have always said buy the rifle that you can find ammo for in any store you go into.

I've got a bunch of those and they never leave the house. I buy ammo before I leave to go hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Look at what kind of loads you can do in a 30-06

Comment

The bullet over the counter selection has gotten better for a larger range of calibers larger gun with light bullets can be a dream to shoot and offer a wide range of flexibility when it comes to use on many different size game .

300 RUM will do it all and you can get it in a very light bullet and the recoil is very modest .

( use of the 300 rum is to show the intent of my post ) 178 or 200 grn bullet off the bend can be rough for sure in that rig .

recoil pad look into limbsaver pads amazing is a great word to describe them.

with light recoil rounds now the options are many

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
            So if I am already shooting 110 grain bullets out of my .270 then there is really no reason for me to add a .25-06?
            due to bullet B.C., a 25-06 shooting a 110 gr bullet will be more accurate with greater long range potential than 270 shooting the same weight bullet. 130 gr pills is the preferred bullet in the 270.

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
              folks who own or owned both of these calibers, please school me on 25.06 capabilities, pros/cons.

I own a .270, but I've always wondered about a 25.06

Biggest game a 25.06 can drop.
              accuracy
              shooting/range/power
              recoil
              ammo
              love the cal., wish I still had mine but it was a Ruger #1 and got tired of lugging it around. Killed several WT deer with it though. No losses, a few drop-in-tracks, mostly 30-40 yd runoffs but never lost one, always a huge exit wound. (bullet was Speer Grand Slams, 120 grn.)
              Recoil about the same as .270, which is what I use now.
              One of the most accurate cartridges you will find, especially reloaded.
              Brass can be converted from .30-06 hulls, another plus.
              A great deer and pronghorn caliber, wouldn't know about anything else, although several use it for elk. May be good for high-country work for sheep and mountain goat as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                I've got a bunch of those and they never leave the house. I buy ammo before I leave to go hunting.

After doing a favor for a guy on my lease by going to two gun shops, Walmart, and Academy on Black Friday looking for 22-250 shells for his wife’s rifle because she forgot to tell him she was out of bullets until they got to the lease.
                Most mom and pop gas stations have 30-30, 270, 30-06 etc., but I see your point.

Comment

Originally posted by hunter68 View Post
                  The only time I didn’t have a good blood trail with the 25-06 is when I used the wrong bullet. When I switched to Gamekings or Nosler Partition they have performed very well with good blood trails. I have seen a Nosler Partion kill a Mule deer at 400 yards head-on with complete pass through and DRT.
                  To be honest I have used whatever I find at Academy. Remington Core loct or Horniday SST. I see Federal Premium with 115 grain Nosler Partition Vital Shock online for $21.99 per box. Is this what you are shooting?

Comment

Originally posted by Grndchecker View Post
                    After doing a favor for a guy on my lease by going to two gun shops, Walmart, and Academy on Black Friday looking for 22-250 shells for his wife’s rifle because she forgot to tell him she was out of bullets until they got to the lease.

Most mom and pop gas stations have 30-30, 270, 30-06 etc., but I see your point.

Sounds a lot like her problem to me....or his at most!

Comment

If I was on my laptop I'd show you what a 25-06 with an 85gr BT does to a yote looking at you straight on.

Comment

I am a gun addict. I have both. I hate the .270, 30-06 and .243 and I realize that they are all very capable cartridges. I have rifles in all three of those calibers. I have always had a soft spot for the 25-06. I had one built specifically for an antelope hunt and have always believed that 100-117 grain bullets are ideal for speed goats. Took the 25-06 on an antelope hunt and watched a bullet land 2.5 feet to the right of my goat at 300 yards. Apparently the wind that blows in Wyoming doesn't like Texan bullets. Sorry for the testimonial but to answer your question it will depend on your needs and intended use for the rifle. I personally feel that 25-06 is a bit light for 200 lb mule deer but is ideal here in Texas and our little deer. The .270 is a great cartridge and will kill anything between Mexico and Canada. I still hate it though! Another thought....I have never seen an ammo store that didn't have some flavor of .270 on the shelf. 25-06 might be a bit harder to find in a pinch.
                        Last edited by Jon B; 11-28-2018, 02:27 PM.

Comment

.270 - 130 grain at 3000 fps
                          25-06 - 120 grain at 3000 fps

The bigger answer is - will you ever hunt game bigger than whitetail at an extended range?

If you are, 270 is your answer.

I love my .270 Weatherby Magnum

Comment

6.5 creedmore

Comment

Own both.. One is a custom 700 in 270 the other is a 25.06 super custom Kleinguenther.

Shot 100's of deer with both.

270 is a better whitetail round.

Really doesn't matter but I would trust the extra gr's to help out with done range punch.

Buy both.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                                I am a gun addict. I have both. I hate the .270, 30-06 and .243 and I realize that they are all very capable cartridges. I have rifles in all three of those calibers. I have always had a soft spot for the 25-06. I had one built specifically for an antelope hunt and have always believed that 100-117 grain bullets are ideal for speed goats. Took the 25-06 on an antelope hunt and watched a bullet land 2.5 feet to the right of my goat at 300 yards. Apparently the wind that blows in Wyoming doesn't like Texan bullets. Sorry for the testimonial but to answer your question it will depend on your needs and intended use for the rifle. I personally feel that 25-06 is a bit light for 200 lb mule deer but is ideal here in Texas and our little deer. The .270 is a great cartridge and will kill anything between Mexico and Canada. I still hate it though! Another thought....I have never seen an ammo store that didn't have some flavor of .270 on the shelf. 25-06 might be a bit harder to find in a pinch.

How did you become a gun nut if you hate guns?

Comment

Working...
                                X