Farm Gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farm Gun

We moved out in the country and I’ve had a few problems with predators and stray dogs killing our chickens. Also something jumped our bloodhound puppy when she was out this morning. I never saw what it was. But it had her pretty shook up. Also In the summer we killed snakes weekly.

So I set out several live traps including one large one I built for the dogs and yotes. I also added to my arsenal what we called a farm gun when I was a kid. We used a single barrel 12ga to take care of business and it did a great job. I went by the pawnshop today and right when I walked in there she was a 12ga H&R partner like new ready to go home for $109. I went by tractor supply and bought a 450 lumina light and added a shell holder with 2) #4 buck and 3) #2 lead. She’s ready to clean house!

For you guys that live in the country post up what gun you have in the corner by the back door to take care of business.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sharkhunter; 11-26-2018, 06:21 PM.

I put this one together for my wife's uncle last year. He's a farmer/rancher in West Texas...I know it has taken care of a few rattle snakes.

It's a 20g with the barrel cut to 20" and a few inches off the butt stock.

Comment

Like em!

Comment

I keep a single shot 20g H&R Tamer in my front end gear box on my Polaris Sportsman.

Comment

i am good with a .45 out to a hundred yards, so that is what i use,, i have killed a few hogs in the yard and lost count on snakes,,, although the hog shots were not long i was really impressed at the wide but short blood trails i was getting with Winchester pdx loads

Comment

This will be a cool thread

Comment

My dad carried around a sxs 12 gauge 18" barrel for years and still does. I personally preferred to have a rifle as it is a little more utilitarian on the big critters. A little .22 or .17 hmr works great but a little single shot .223 with a 1-4 scope is dang near the perfect farm gun.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

I used to keep my AR 5.56 carbine, with a 750 lumen light on it, ready all the time. I called that my utility gun. We used to live on a large ranch, with multiple large open pastures, there were a lot of coyotes around that area. My AR was mostly a coyote gun, but I shot possums, coons and deer with it. Then there is my 17 HMR, Savage 93, that is my coyote head shot gun, coon gun and long rang squirrel killer. We use to have a couple of cats outside, the coons and possums were always getting into the cat food on the back porch. I would sneak out the front door, then around to the back of the house. Usually as soon as I could see the back porch, there was a coon running full speed, then leaping off of the back porch. It was good practice for running targets, kind of like sporting clays, but with live targets that don't break easily. I used to use my 1022 on them, but typically a coon running away, I would shoot 7 to 8 times before it had enough. Then I bought my first Savage 93 in 17 HMR and found even with shots from the rear, it only takes one shot and they are done. I found my daughter's 20 ga. with 3" number 6 shot or 4 shot worked wonders on coons. One shot and they stopped. I only had 7 1/2 shot for my 12 ga. But I bought some 3" 6 shot and 4 shot for my wife and daughter to use for a self defense gun when I was not home or for shooting coyotes in the yard. They called me multiple times about coyotes in the yard and not running off, just standing there looking at them. Those coyotes are pretty smart, they always ran, when they saw me.

Where we live now, we don't have many, if any coyotes. But we have plenty of coons, they try to run the deer away from the feeder. As soon as I have time, I am going to find a light for my 17 HMR, then sit on one of my tripods at night and start lowering the coon population. That and we have lots of squirrels. I may get my Sheridan Blue Streak working again and use that. Where we are now, a long shot, would be 40 yards. Most shots would be 15 to 25 yards, so I have not kept the AR loaded. Been thinking of buying some heavier shot for my 16 ga. and 12 ga. Never shot a deer with a slug or buck shot. I can't find a spot where I can set a tripod up and have a shot much past 30 yards. My bow will get used, but I am thinking a shot gun with a slug or buck shot would be better than any of my rifles.

Comment

My grandparents had a .410 single shot and a .22 bolt action stood by the back door everyday that I remember them being around, those two guns killed everything that needed killin’ and were used by a whole herd of grandkids.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                    My grandparents had a .410 single shot and a .22 bolt action stood by the back door everyday that I remember them being around, those two guns killed everything that needed killin’ and were used by a whole herd of grandkids.
                    That’s awesome. I have my granddads 410 and my Pawpaws bolt action 22.

Comment

I like an older Savage Model 24 with the top barrel in .22WMR, bottom barrel in 20ga.

Comment

I keep a old shortened winchester 12 ga. pump by the backdoor for skunks, snakes, coons.

Comment

We keep a old Sears model 10 single shot 22lr with a 1-4x33 El Paso weaver by the door. That gun has killed more critters than any of our deer rifles.

Comment

My go to..

This is a stock photo but I really have fun with this.....

Circuit Judge which shoots 410 or 45 long colt. It's not long at all and fits just about anywhere in my truck or UTV Crew. Cheap and works!

Snakes and hogs beware...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                              I still have my .410 single I got when I turned 12. I came home from school and my mom gave it to me (12th birthday legal hunting age in PA back in 1983). My dad was angry because he wanted me to have a 20 or 12 ga. But I love this thing and I have taken more rabbits, squirrels, and ringnecks with it than I can remember.

Comment

Working...
                              X