No announcement yet.

280 AI or 7mm STW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So this thread went from 280 AI vs 7mm STW... to 280 AI vs 7mm Rem Mag.

Apparently 280 AI vs 7mm STW are two different beasts to compare?

280 for shorter ranges, shorter barrel, longer barrel life, less powder.

7mm Rem Mag for longer ranges, longer barrel, shorter barrel life, more powder.

Framing hammer vs sledge hammer...? Am I off?

(I was recently given a 7mm STW and the had the pucker effect of $50 per 20 rounds...on the cheap side.)

Comment

I built an STW back in the late 80's early 90's when Layne Simpson first wrote about it. Their was no info to speak of or components either, no brass for sure or reloading data.

It was all trial and error. I remember changing a load from large rifle mag primers to match and getting some serious over pressures to the point the bolt didn't want to open and when it did all stamping on the case was gone and I couldn't tell where the primer was, it was all flat brass.

I took the rifle to Tanzania for a 21 day hunt, and killed everything from a dik dik to and eland with it at ranges out to over 800 yards.
      It is a killer for sure especially on animals that are big enough to absorb the energy

I've had several 300 mags and prefer the STW recoil is moderate and you don't need a break on it

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
        I built an STW back in the late 80's early 90's when Layne Simpson first wrote about it. Their was no info to speak of or components either, no brass for sure or reloading data.

It was all trial and error. I remember changing a load from large rifle mag primers to match and getting some serious over pressures to the point the bolt didn't want to open and when it did all stamping on the case was gone and I couldn't tell where the primer was, it was all flat brass.

I took the rifle to Tanzania for a 21 day hunt, and killed everything from a dik dik to and eland with it at ranges out to over 800 yards.
        It is a killer for sure especially on animals that are big enough to absorb the energy

I've had several 300 mags and prefer the STW recoil is moderate and you don't need a break on it
        That is my story as well. I still have that issue of Shooting Times laying around somewhere. Looking back I think some of Layne's loads were very hot. I made cases with 8mm Mag and ire forming 300 H&H's back then.
        Dale Wise in San Antonio did the rifle work for me. That thing is in a safe collecting dust and hasn't been shot in 25 years It was a hammer back in the day though.

Comment

280 would be my preference.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecobeast View Post
            Plan to use it for . . . longe range plinking in general.

This sentence alone tells you to go with the AI.

The STW is a worse barrel burner than the 300 win mag. Average barrel life I have seen is around 8-900 rounds with the very elusive exception being 1000 or better. Unless you want to rebarrel in the near future stick with the AI.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
              That is my story as well. I still have that issue of Shooting Times laying around somewhere. Looking back I think some of Layne's loads were very hot. I made cases with 8mm Mag and ire forming 300 H&H's back then.
              Dale Wise in San Antonio did the rifle work for me. That thing is in a safe collecting dust and hasn't been shot in 25 years It was a hammer back in the day though.
              I to made cases from 8MM, and still have them. I thought Layne's loads were conservative. The first 200 rounds or so I fired were all thru a chrono and I surpassed his loads by a few hundred fps.

Mine to is a safe queen but I did bring it out last year and some 20 year old loads I had to see how it would shoot. It about ripped the 9' steel plate I have set up at 400 yards off the chain. My boys who shoot a lot of 260 Rem, 7mm-08 that sort of stuff were like OMG

Comment

I have both.
                The Ackley launches 140 Accubonds at 3200 and 168 Long Range Accubonds at just under 3000. Both shoot to same point of impact.

The STW with IMR 8133 launches the 140 Accubonds at 3450.

Brass for the STW is now being sold by Hornady, prior to that it was pretty expensive as it was made in limited runs by Winchester and Remington.
                Nosler mkes brass for it too but their cases run about $3.00 a piece.

Hunting and plinking the 280 AI will get the nod.
                Hunting at long ranges or long range shooting the 7STW shines.

IF I were to do it again on the STW ?
                I'd go 26 Nosler and not have to deal with the belted case.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                  So this thread went from 280 AI vs 7mm STW... to 280 AI vs 7mm Rem Mag.

Apparently 280 AI vs 7mm STW are two different beasts to compare?

280 for shorter ranges, shorter barrel, longer barrel life, less powder.

7mm Rem Mag for longer ranges, longer barrel, shorter barrel life, more powder.

Framing hammer vs sledge hammer...? Am I off?

(I was recently given a 7mm STW and the had the pucker effect of $50 per 20 rounds...on the cheap side.)
                  Dangit...I misspake... and meant 7mm STW.

800 yards on a heavy animal is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by HTDUCK View Post
                    I have both.
                    The Ackley launches 140 Accubonds at 3200 and 168 Long Range Accubonds at just under 3000. Both shoot to same point of impact.

The STW with IMR 8133 launches the 140 Accubonds at 3450.

Brass for the STW is now being sold by Hornady, prior to that it was pretty expensive as it was made in limited runs by Winchester and Remington.
                    Nosler mkes brass for it too but their cases run about $3.00 a piece.

Hunting and plinking the 280 AI will get the nod.
                    Hunting at long ranges or long range shooting the 7STW shines.

IF I were to do it again on the STW ?
                    I'd go 26 Nosler and not have to deal with the belted case.
                    I mispoke as well, that should read 28 Nosler.

Comment

Working...
                    X