ATF Prosecutes man for pistol brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
    That's fine, except that the ATF itself has ruled it's okay to shoulder them.
    For now, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
      Please enlighten me on what the above contraptions designed purpose is?
      Not the point. ATF said they are ok to shoulder so shoulder away. What someone wants to put on there rifle is up to them and really has nothing to do with you. Just because you don't like a light on a rifle doesn't mean that they should be prosecuted for your opinion.

Comment

The Gov't is involved because there are written laws on SBR's, "pistols" and their use. If the person who was in possession of the pistol above was shoulder firing it, the firearm would then be considered an SBR and they have violated a law and should be prosecuted.

Absolutely not true.

Just because you shoulder it does not make it an SBR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
          For now, yes.
          I get what you are getting at and agree. The ATF is a sham.

Comment

Originally posted by 1shot View Post
            Not the point. ATF said they are ok to shoulder so shoulder away. What someone wants to put on there rifle is up to them and really has nothing to do with you. Just because you don't like a light on a rifle doesn't mean that they should be prosecuted for your opinion.

Great, put all the crap you want on it.

Maybe I should read the article?

Comment

This thread is really making me want to build an AR pistol...

Comment

That's usually a good bet and can prevent someone from spewing false info in defense of their opinion.

Comment

I feel bad for the defendant. I bet it was incredibly expensive for him to pay for his defense. This isn't a happy ending for him at all. All because some bull headed ATF agent didn't understand its agencies own rules.

Comment

Seriously guys come on! That hideous contraption serves no other purpose other than being shouldered. All of these stupid tacti-cool crap braces should be able to be prosecuted.

I didn't need to read the article to have an opinion on what you said. I strongly disagree with "All of these stupid tacti-cool crap braces should be able to be prosecuted." If someone wants to put something on thier rifle and it is deemed legal than who gives a crap how they use it. Do people use pistol braces to get around the tax stamp? Yes. Is it legal? According to the ATF yes, so why in the world should someone be prosecuted for it?

Comment

Ok, I read the article.

If a contraption on the end of your firearm is placed against your shoulder and the weapon is fired, then it's a shoulder stock which turns your item into an SBR.

Argue all you want with 1 line responses. Give me some proof.

pis·tol
                      /ˈpistl/Submit
                      noun
                      a small firearm designed to be held in one hand.

ri·fle1
                      /ˈrīfəl/Submit
                      noun
                      a gun, especially one fired from shoulder level, having a long spirally grooved barrel intended to make a bullet spin and thereby have greater accuracy over a long distance.

Short-barreled rifle (SBR) is a legal designation in the United States, referring to a shoulder-fired, rifled firearm, made from a rifle, with a barrel length of less than 16 in (41 cm) or overall length of less than 26 in (66 cm), or a handgun fitted with a buttstock and a barrel of less than 16 inches length.

A gunstock, often simply stock, also known as a shoulder stock, a buttstock or simply a butt, is a part of a long gun such as rifle, to which the barrelled action and firing mechanism are attached and is held against the user's shoulder when shooting the gun.

A gunstock or buttstock can be anything that is placed against your shoulder when firing the weapon.

Comment

I think I will dust off my copy of Unintended Consequences and remind myself of why the idiotic sh%$ show that is known as the ATF Firearms Division is inherently unconstitutional.

Comment

Originally posted by 1shot View Post
                          I didn't need to read the article to have an opinion on what you said. I strongly disagree with "All of these stupid tacti-cool crap braces should be able to be prosecuted." If someone wants to put something on thier rifle and it is deemed legal than who gives a crap how they use it. Do people use pistol braces to get around the tax stamp? Yes. Is it legal? According to the ATF yes, so why in the world should someone be prosecuted for it?

He is being prosecuted for the item turning his firearm into an SBR and it not being registered, IF he was shoulder firing it.

IF, he was not shoulder firing it, then it's a bogus court case.

Comment

If I as a gun manufacturer, for DoD research, have to abide by laws and regulations, then why shouldn't a civilian?

I mean, our 20mm projectile "guns" must have serial numbers and be registered. We also must have a manufacturing license, tax stamp, FFL, Explosives License, etc.

All of these items are for research and would never be used in production or an actual product. Why do we need to go through all the red tape? Because the laws state that we do.

Comment

He is being prosecuted for the item turning his firearm into an SBR and it not being registered, IF he was shoulder firing it.

Wasn't talking about the article.

Comment

Shoulder fire all day

Comment

Working...
                                X