Ttsx no blood trail 3 hogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
    what are the thoughts on Nosler BT hunters vs accubond. Are the Accubond bullets gonna have similar results as the TTSX? I want expansion with lots of blood to follow.
    Pretty much the same bullet except the Accubond's jacket is bonded to the core which is good. Accubond will expand reliably and penetrate well. Hunting BT's may come apart and suffer penetration.

I have been loading Hunting BT's in 7-08 and Accubond in 280 AI, starting this year everything will have Accubond.

Comment

Shoot whatever bullet you want, just shoot em in the ear, I promise they will fall over right there.

Comment

What was the impact velocity? I think the TTSX need even more velocity than the TSX to insure expansion. If they impacted at less than 2400 fps, you probably didn't get much or enough expansion?

LWD

Comment

Originally posted by rebelbow View Post
          x2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I shoot 165 gr Sierra Gamekings in my 308 AR. At 308 velocities, there is no need for premium bullets.

Comment

I don't want an exit wound. I want maximum expansion and energy delivery.

Comment

Gameking.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                  So I assume you shoot Rage BH??

Any energy spent knocking a .5-.75” hole out the other side of an animal is energy well spent. If the impact doesn’t kill them where they stand, the blood running out the other side makes them easy to find.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post

You can get that and an exit wound. I want them leaking from as many holes as possible after I liquify their insides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I shot a 100 lb or so hog last fall with a 25-06 and a 100 gr. ttsx. loaded pretty fast. Hit him in or slightly behind the shoulder and he took off. Couldn't tell which one of the hogs he was after that. He started squealing, and I knew I had him. Marked where I last heard him, and went to the impact site, no blood. I followed where I last saw him, no blood. 4 of us looked for 2 hours and never found him or sign of him. There was not a lot of cover, still cant believe I lost him. Thinking about going to nosler ballistic tips in 115 to 120 gr. My Tikka really likes those driven fast, and I know they will expand. Also got to shoot a new to me Weatherby ultra lite Mark 5 I just got to see what it likes.

Rethinking the ttsx, or maybe just need to hit bone. I am driving that bullet at least 3200 fps, have to look at notes, but that's got to be fast enough to open it up.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                        I shot a 100 lb or so hog last fall with a 25-06 and a 100 gr. ttsx. loaded pretty fast. Hit him in or slightly behind the shoulder and he took off. Couldn't tell which one of the hogs he was after that. He started squealing, and I knew I had him. Marked where I last heard him, and went to the impact site, no blood. I followed where I last saw him, no blood. 4 of us looked for 2 hours and never found him or sign of him. There was not a lot of cover, still cant believe I lost him. Thinking about going to nosler ballistic tips in 115 to 120 gr. My Tikka really likes those driven fast, and I know they will expand. Also got to shoot a new to me Weatherby ultra lite Mark 5 I just got to see what it likes.

Rethinking the ttsx, or maybe just need to hit bone. I am driving that bullet at least 3200 fps, have to look at notes, but that's got to be fast enough to open it up.
                        Nosler ballistic tip 115 grain is what I use for the 25-06. Took a Red Hind a couple years ago, shot right behind shoulder at 100 yards, she took 6 steps.
                        Haven't taken a pig with it but am confident it would be adequate.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          You can get that and an exit wound. I want them leaking from as many holes as possible after I liquify their insides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          Agreed, this makes for an easy hog to find.

Comment

I live in an area that is highly target rich with hogs. Have killed 300+ in the last 6 years. My #1 hog gun inside 100 yards is a 22 mag. Shoot them in the head, draw a line from the eye to just behind the ear and maybe 2-3 inches below that. That is the drt shot area. If trying for multiple hogs in 1 shot then I shoot 25-06 or 270 and shoot shoulder area. Out from 100-200 yards on single hog is usually 223 with head shot. If you want meat the head shot is perfect because no meat gets ruined and your not chasing wounded hogs in thickets. Keep shooting what you have reloaded just shoot them in head or aim for heavy shoulder bone.

Comment

gonna give it a go again this weekend, head shots only!

Comment

I've been shooting Barnes bullets for some time now. Got tried of core seperration, this was before bonded core bullets. Barnes bullets are designed to do 2 things. Give deep penetration and maximun weight retention and at this they excel. there isn't a bullet design out there that at some point hasn't failed. My hunting with Barnes Bullets is limited to 80gr. TTSX in 6BR and 80-100gr TSX/TTSX in 250/300 and 250AI. With these my hunting partner and I have taken WT,MD,Axis Deer, Elk, Prong Horn,pigs and coyotes and of all those animals I have recovered 2 bullets and the rest were not to be found. Maybe we have been lucky but we have not lost a big game animal with the above calibers. I have a friend who hunted WT with his trusted 270 and factory ammo. He had the chance to go to west Texas and hunt Mule Deer. He took a really old brute of a deer but was disappointed at the performance of his 270 and thought he needed more fire power. This is just my opinion but if you shoot lets say a deer or pig or whatever with a caliber that provides the muzzle energy with a good bullet and it doesn't die in a reasonable time frame.then there are only 2 reasons. Poor shot placement or poor bullet performance. Based on 55 yrs. of hunting I can only say that the animal isn't always standing broadside like we think it is and that bullet doesn't always go where we think it should have and it doesn't always preform like we would expect. So if you want a big exit wound and blood trail on pigs Barnes probably aren't what you want. do they expand? In my experience I have yet to see one that hasn't but that doesn't mean they always will just like any other bullet. They expand just not like a lead core bullet. Again just my opinion. I do have a 35 Whelen loaded with 200 gr. TTSX at 2700 fps that I might try on pigs this year. Poor Poor pigs! Good luck

Comment

Working...
                                X