Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
    I've said it.

6.5 grendel was designed with the cartridge length limitations of an AR in mind. There are much better options available in bolt guns. The only way it makes sense in my mind is if you are hunting the weight savings of a super short action like a Howa mini.
    This. Grendel in a short action is like getting a .308 in a long action.

Comment

Originally posted by tward1604 View Post
      The grendel has such a light recoil it will make an incredible rifle for someone recoil sensitive.
      I know this is subjective, but "such light recoil" compared to what? Magnum cartridges? I was surprised at how MUCH recoil both my 18" and 12.5" gas Grendels have. Way more than my 5.56 and 300BLK gas guns.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
        I know this is subjective, but "such light recoil" compared to what? Magnum cartridges? I was surprised at how MUCH recoil both my 18" and 12.5" gas Grendels have. Way more than my 5.56 and 300BLK gas guns.

Do have adjustable gas blocks on them? Grendel’s are known to typically be over gassed. I put an adjustable on mine and turned it down to where it would just cycle reliably and have bolt hold open on last round. It tamed it a noticeable amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
          This. Grendel in a short action is like getting a .308 in a long action.
          Yes!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
            Do have adjustable gas blocks on them? Grendel’s are known to typically be over gassed. I put an adjustable on mine and turned it down to where it would just cycle reliably and have bolt hold open on last round. It tamed it a noticeable amount.

Throw that out the window since he wants a bolt gun.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
              Throw that out the window since he wants a bolt gun.

I was responding to 35Remington. He said gas guns.

Comment

I do, yes. SLR. I didn't feel like it made much of a difference. Maybe I should shoot it more in the fully open setting to see how much difference it makes versus restricted. I went straight to no-BHO and then two clicks open from that, per SLR instructions.

Comment

I was responding to 35Remington. He said gas guns.

I understand that, but he was talking about 6.5g still having a bit of recoil. Adjusting the gas system on the AR might help but the bolt gun is going to have a little more recoil, OP needs to know that.

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                    It's like building a 224 valk bolt gun??? Why... You have the flexibility of a bolt gun action there are more efficient cartridges out there you can take advantage of. If doing a bolt gun. Why not run Creedmore or .260. Better bullet options, better bc, and can push it harder if you reload.

Grendel and valk we're designed to be used in a small frame AR they do the job admerably there. But there are just more better options if you arnt limited by trying to keep it small frame AR package

Again there are lots of good options... 6.5x55 swede for instance is another. But it's all about the goal and the platform...in a bolt gun you can get more out of the package than Grendel has to offer Imho. Nothing WRONG with Grendel bolt gun... Just... Why... That said your money if you love it go for it
                    Why limit yourself in a boltaction with little rounds like a 6.5 Creedmoor, 260, 6.5X47 or their ballistic equal from 1892 the 6.5X55 when in a bolt action? there are the 6.5X284, 6.5-06, 264 Win Mag, 6.5 PRC and 26 nosler that all out perform those earlier mentioned rounds bu as much or more than the first set "out performs" the Grendel.

I have a boltie Grendel that was built before there were available from the factory crowd. I just like the way it performs in an AR on game but prefer to hunt with a boltaction. a cup and core bullet with a good BC is plenty for shots to 400 yards some go more under perfect conditions. Look it up the Grendel has less recoil than a 243 in rifles of the or near the same weight and the grendel has more energy at 400 yards than the 243.

I have killed deer and hogs with cartridges as small as 17 Remington and 22 Hornet and several belted magnums including 350, 300 WBY, 7mmSTW 45-70 and none were any deader than what I have shot with my Grendels. Yes more than one have an AR and a boltaction.

I own 5 6.5 caliber rifles 2 Grendels, a 6.5X54MS, 6.5-284 and 264Win Mag. The others do not kill deer and hogs better then the Grendel but excepting the 6.5X54 they do make more of a mess

Comment

I own and grendel and a 243 bolt gun so it is easy to pin down and not at all decieveing. the grendel recoils less. It's all different strokes for different folks. Nothing wrong with it in the bolt gun. But get it in an acten designed for it. In a standard short action it would be like a 308 in a long action.

And as far as building a Valk on a bolt gun why not?! Who cares how folks burn powder?

OP get you whatever you want to get. IF you do end up with a bolt action grendel it will be just as effective as it is in a gas gun and when you shoot it, it will makes sense.

Comment

I just assembled my first AR-based Grendel, a 16" mid-gas carbine. I can see the round in a great place in a bolt-action application, low recoil with enough power to reliably take medium game out to 200-300 yds. Sort of a modernized .250 Savage, if you will. Would make a great package for a youth, or even an older and recoil-averse shooter to hunt with. Heck, I might even have to try one of the Howa mini-actions, now that I think about it!

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by RedRaider323 View Post
                          7mm08
                          No 7mm08 kicks way harder

Comment

Very effective

Has 880 #s of energy @ 500 yards and drops less than 308.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                              I don't know about other people, but I would love to have a Howa 1500 Mini in 6.5 Grendel, heavy barrel and a Boyd's stock and a good trigger.
                              Here you go...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Howa6.5Grendel.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	24551844

That's a 20" Howa Mini-Action in 6.5 Grendel (threaded "heavy" barrel) in a Boyd's At-One stock. The stock is pretty nice, and the adjustable comb and LOP make it to where I can shoot it comfortably and then quickly adjust it for my daughter to shoot. Note: the inletting of my stock was somewhat sloppy and didn't really provide a good fit for the action, so I bedded it...took it from a 1.25" rifle to a .5" rifle with factory Hornady ammo:

Click image for larger version

Name:	GrendelGroup.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	24551845

As far as recoil goes, it's very mild, much less than my 7mm-08...you could shoot it all day and not feel a thing. When you put a suppressor on it, it's about as loud as a .22lr, with about the same recoil. My daughter hunted with my 300 BLK last year, she's going to be shooting this one this year.

For reference, I also have a 6.5 Grendel in an AR15...I find myself shooting this one much more these days. It's just plain fun to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by TXDucks View Post
                                Here you go...

[ATTACH]923461[/ATTACH]

That's a 20" Howa Mini-Action in 6.5 Grendel (threaded "heavy" barrel) in a Boyd's At-One stock. The stock is pretty nice, and the adjustable comb and LOP make it to where I can shoot it comfortably and then quickly adjust it for my daughter to shoot. Note: the inletting of my stock was somewhat sloppy and didn't really provide a good fit for the action, so I bedded it...took it from a 1.25" rifle to a .5" rifle with factory Hornady ammo:

[ATTACH]923464[/ATTACH]

As far as recoil goes, it's very mild, much less than my 7mm-08...you could shoot it all day and not feel a thing. When you put a suppressor on it, it's about as loud as a .22lr, with about the same recoil. My daughter hunted with my 300 BLK last year, she's going to be shooting this one this year.

For reference, I also have a 6.5 Grendel in an AR15...I find myself shooting this one much more these days. It's just plain fun to shoot.

Man, that’s a good looking rig!

Comment

Working...
                                X