No announcement yet.

Talley rings no good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this "gunsmith" by chance work at Academy?

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
      Does this "gunsmith" by chance work at Academy?
      Nope. He works at a gun store here in Amarillo.

Comment

I ordered my first set last year. The first batch I got, the holes in the bases were not countersunk. Sent them back and haven’t had any issue with the replacements Talley sent me.

A co-worker has been through 4-5 sets due to either quality control issues (bases not countersunk deep enough) or having been sent 2 fronts, wrong bases for his gun, etc. He ordered direct drom Talley I believe. He said the customer service is easy to deal with, the product has always been the issue.

Comment

I’ve got a set of Talley vertical split rings that have held a 6x42 FXIII in place and on zero on my Weatherby 378 magnum no problem. So, on one hand...someone talking out their ***. On the other, experience they hold 80 ft-lbs recoil no problemo. Hmmm

Comment

Have them on my win mag, no problems, and yes their cs is wonderful.

Comment

What is the application of the gun...rifle / scope combo??

When I think talley, I think alloy / light mounts but thought they also offered steel too??

Comment

Originally posted by MitchParker View Post
                His rationale was that they can't be torqued down as far or as hard as steel rings (Leupold or Warne).
                True, you can torque down steel rings harder...that is if you really are interested in seeing your scope damaged. There's a reason manufacturers of 4 screw clamp rings usually specify around 25 in-lbs of torque, because they did the math and know that the clamping force is adequate to keep the scope from moving under recoil, and that it won't damage your scope.

Some of the most highly regarded scope ring manufacturers use aluminum: American Rifle Co, Spuhr, Larue, Bobro, etc. It's a perfectly suitable material for the application, steel is not necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post

When I think talley, I think alloy / light mounts but thought they also offered steel too??
                  yep, steel split rings on one of my former custom rifles

quick-detach stainless also

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post

It's a Tikka T3x in 6.5 Creedmoor and has a Leupold VX-5 sitting on top.

Comment

I’ve run the Talley lightweight 1 piece ring/base for many years and have had zero issues. I however lap them every time before installing a scope and again don’t have a single issue.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I've heard here in the past few years folks are having problem with the rings cracking.

Comment

I think the Talley rings yes good, i love it

Comment

Originally posted by MitchParker View Post
                            It's a Tikka T3x in 6.5 Creedmoor and has a Leupold VX-5 sitting on top.
                            I've go Talley ex-lows on my T3x and they're great. I also have them on my Marlin 336, Weatherby Vanguard, and several others.

Comment

Talley makes good stuff. They even created the Extra-Lows for the Marlin 336 for me. Gotta luv them!

Comment

Guess I installed garbage on over half my rifles too. I'm good with it as Talley has never been the problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X